Take A Look at Disney

10/2/11

Deleted Scene & Song From Dumbo





If  you had read my status, you would have seen that I have picked up a copy of my favorite film on DVD/Blu Ray.  If you know me and have been reading my articles for a while. You should know that I adore this film and I consider it my all time favorite film.  The only downside to this being a DVD/Blu Ray combo is that I don't own a Blu Ray player and of course the Blu Ray has more features that don't seem as important to the spirit and learning of the film as the extras on the DVD which are also on the Blu Ray.  Although there are two shorts that may soon get the Classic Shorts Showcase treatment. if I can find them on YouTube.     

Though that's okay but for now I just want to take a look at some of the bonus features. Save for the audio commentary which I'll come back to at a later point.  Though not all in this article. No I'll just be looking at two extras.  I'll be breaking this up over the next two days.  First up I'll be taking a look at a deleted scene and a deleted song from the film.  First up the song.


Are You a Man or a Mouse?





I really like this song and it makes me like Timothy a whole bunch more.  This song shows what I love about Timothy,  he even knows when your down you can pick yourself back up.   This is such a great pick-me-up song.  It may even give Proud of Your Boy a run for its money as my new favorite deleted song. Of course I could just be intoxicated by the awesomeness of having Dumbo on DVD.   It has a great vaudeville feel to it as well.  I kinda wish that this song was left in the film as I could see it taking place either before or after Baby Mine.  I have some guests with me who also approve of this song. Everyone,  joining me today the stars of Dumbo, Dumbo & Timothy Quincy Mouse.  








The Mouse's Tale




Now we come to the deleted scene of Dumbo.  My thoughts on this deleted scene. Thank goodness, this didn't end up in my favorite movie otherwise Timothy wouldn't be my second favorite Disney character.   I don't know I feel like this scene would have dragged down the film.  Also I can understand what they wanted Timothy to do this scene and the story concept did seem nice but my problem comes with Timothy telling Dumbo this story.  I feel like having Timothy tell Dumbo this story just would have made him less likable.  Not only that while Dumbo is a fantasy movie, it's  grounded in modern times and a semi reality.  I think this scene would have taken away from the setting of the film too much.  



In the end, I liked the  the deleted song but didn't care for the deleted scene.  The deleted scene isn't bad but it just rubbed me the wrong way and that moment made Timothy (at least to me) come off as somewhat unlikable.  

For the deleted song I give it a happy Dumbo






Heck even for the deleted scene just because I had a blast learning about  my favorite movie and what went on in the thought process.  We aren't even done covering the Dumbo extras.  Such as a behind the scenes documentary on the making of Dumbo.  I'm looking forward to that but I don't know when I'll get to it.  When I do though, I'll let you know about it. Until next time, peace!

1 comment:

  1. Except one thing. Both the deleted scene and the deleted song are modern re-created recordings and not original.

    The visuals are real enough - sketches upon which the subsequent pencil tests would have been based if the sequences would have made it past the storyboarding stage - but the audio in both the deleted scene as well as in the deleted song were never recorded in 1940 along with the rest of the audio.

    So they took the original scoring charts, scripts and sound-alike actors and recorded the material for the first time, specifically for the 70th Anniversary disc.

    ReplyDelete