Take A Look at Disney

3/14/12

Can We Talk about Hakuna Matata




Love it or hate it, Hakuna Matata is one of the most popular songs to come from one of the most popular Disney film from the '90s.  But why is that?   Now I'll admit I like this song and I just look at it as a fun song but for this Can We Talk about, I want to take a further look at this song and look at why while a good song there are still some problems to it.   Where to start, about with one lyric that really seems to stand  out to me.


It's our problem-free philosophy

Now I'll admit that I know very little about philosophy and I get what Timon & Pumbaa were trying to say with this life in that, follow our style and there'll be no problem  but even though I've said that I'm an optimist,  I'm a realistic one and well,  I know there are going to be problems in life.   There is no such thing as a problem-free life.  No matter how poor or rich you are, you'll run into problems. This is a nice thought but it just falls flat when you look at it on it's own.  Yeah, you may say that out of text, the meaning of the lyric is lessened but I believe that  when taking it out of context, it shows why a  problem-free life style cannot exist.  


Now yes, this lyric may not work but there is something that the song does well when it flashes back to Pumbaa's early days and almost contradicts the problem-free life style.


  










I'm a sensitive soul though I seem thick-skinnedAnd it hurt that my friends never stood downwind


These lines show that Pumbaa had a rough time growing up because of his aroma and well,  that's understandable but what is the resolution? No seriously!  We never find out and The Lion King 1 1/2 really doesn't a good job at explaining this either.   I mean at one point Pumbaa says he thought of changing his name every time he got downwind.












The next line after that though is another chorus of Hakuna Matata.     We're left hanging. I mean, yeah it was setup for a joke but still.    Though as I said,  there is one good thing about this as it shows why Pumbaa decided to follow this life style. Most likely due to he was tired of being  mocked by his so called friends.   



Another lyric that stands out that is similar to problem-free philosophy has to be when Timon and Pumbaa say


 
It means no worries for the rest of your days 















This line here is said by both Timon and Pumbaa and later said by young Simba after he buys into this life style.   Again, this is a nice thought but you can't know you won't have to worry about anything in your life.    There will be problems that'll pop up every now and then.



Now that I got problems with the song out of the way, let me once again I state the song and  my belief is that instead of  trying to live Hakuna Matata,   sprinkle a little of it in your life. If things are getting you down,  remind yourself that things could be worse and it's okay to live Hakuna Matata if you choose.  Though I lived long enough to think you can have a little of this in your life but don't use too much of it but also have a realistic outlook on life at the same time.  I'll still say that the song is catchy as heck.  It's a fun song and there are some good things to be found in this song and I'll enjoy listening to it but I do not believe that I can buy into it's message.   Now, I know I'm probably going in too deep on this topic but these things that I've come to notice.    

Does that I mean I won't ever listen to the song again? No, of course not and at the end of the day,   if I can have fun listening to the song, should the rest of this matter? Maybe a little but so long as this does not overshadow my enjoyment,  it won't taint what I think of the song. I just wanted to take on this song from a different viewpoint.  I already know that this may be one of my more controversial Can We Talk about's but this idea hit me and I had to go with it.   What do you think? Tell me in the comments.   I know one way to end this...





What,  I had to include this. Peace!

3 comments:

  1. Well I think the song is majorly overrated, but there is a sense of enjoyment out of it.
    As far as philosophy goes the major theme in the Lion King is all about finding your place in the world and where you fit whether it's against your semi determined path or embracing your destiny. Simba was raised to have honor and to be accountable and to fulfill responsibilities as King of Pride Rock.Simba learns that the Hakuna Matata lifestyle isn't right for him and the great scene where Mufasa comes back to set him straight is classic Joseph Campbell Hero Journey mythological pattern of the hero being led astray from his heroic path and a mentor and saving experience occurs to set him back on the heroic path.With Timon and Pumbaa their life experiences as shown in Lion King 1/2 was to choose the path of Hakuna Matata. Now in the original film the duo does learn responsibility because of their friendship to Simba and the new life experience of true friendship has them make the adjustments of life paths.
    I may not understand why the song is popular, but I don't think it was ever meant to be loved and admired like it is it was supposed to be an in story foil to the true message and theme of the film which is finding your place in the world and excepting the responsibilities and struggles that come with the path you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a very interesting review. The link to In Too Deep was a very nice touch!

    ReplyDelete