Take A Look at Disney

7/15/12

Top 6 Lion King Characters That Aren't Timon & Pumbaa




Hello and  welcome back,  today I've decided to countdown my Top 6 Character from The Lion King That Are Not Timon & Pumbaa. Why am I ruling them out instead of Simba, easy they're my favorite character from the film and they'd probably take the top spot if I included them on this list.   With that out of the way, let's begin.   Just so you know I factored in both the film and the stage versions of these characters to come with my list here. By that I mean for some of these I'll reference the play but not for all of them, even though I'll be showing you their film characters.


6.  Zazu















Go figure,  both times that Zazu has appeared on one of my lists, it's always at # 6.  Well, there isn't too much to say about Zazu that I didn't say in my Top 6 Birds countdown.   As I said there, I think part of the reason I like this character is because of how straight laced and serious he is and he's give off a vibe of being a butler and to see that in the jungle is just humorous.   In my opinion,   Zazu is a character that has grown on me over time as I use to despise him but over time I've come to like him and I find that he is an all right character if you look at him the right way.


5.  Scar














Man, I feel bad for not including Scar on my Top 6 Male Villains list.  As he is a pretty good villain, though I do have to agree with the Critic that he does become more of a diva after he's won.   Still,  he is ruthless and went to great lengths to get what he wanted.  He was vicious and  I have to say that when Disney adapted this for the stage, Scar came out as one of the best characters. I'd even go so far as to say that I sympathized with the stage version of Scar a bit.   Also he has one of the best songs in the play and you may not believe this but I feel that it is better than Be Prepared.  I give you The Madness of King Scar










4.  Nala















Nala, I find to be a bit of a perplexing choice.  Don't get me wrong I like her and at first, I wasn't sure if I just wanted to go with young or adult Nala like I've chosen to do with another character but in the end,  I chose to go with Nala as a whole.   Again,  I really love her development as she goes from being Simba's best friend to actually hunting him down to bring him back to Pride Rock as she knows the the truth and as we hear in Can You Feel The Love Tonight, she knows that there is more to Simba then he's letting on and that is even seen when ask, why won't he be the king I know he is.  Now as for the stage version of Nala,  she has a great song for development in the name of Shadowland.  It is a rather haunting tune and in it Nala explains why she has to go on her journey.









3.  Rafiki














Rafiki,  was one character that I knew had to be on this list.  I think part of the reason that I like this character so much is because of how he feels the role of being the wise old man that helps our  hero on their journey. Sure, he may hit them with his staff but I look at that as a way to lighten a rather serious moment.    Rafiki  is perhaps one of the most important characters in helping Simba remember who he is and to remind him that he is the king and that he must follow in his father's footsteps, even if he doesn't want to.    Fun Fact: In the stage production,  Rafiki had a bit of a gender change as Rafiki in the musical is a woman and y'know what it works.  Here take a look.


















2.  Adult Simba















Sure sure, Young Simba is the more popular choice but I feel that Simba as an adult is the better character. Don't get me wrong I like Young Simba but I think Adult Simba is the better character because of the obstacles he has to face and how his past is finally catching up to him after trying to forget about it for so long. He realizes that he needs to face Scar, which is facing his past that he has kept a secret for so long.   I think this all comes crashing down on him after Mufasa's ghost talks to him and tells him to remember who he is as he had forgotten.  Sure,  I'm going by one brief moment in the film but I think that moment has some of the best development for Simba and seeing him go back to Pride Rock and face Scar and claim is rightful place as king is such a highlight in this film.  This is also summed up very well in the play with the song, Endless Night.  It is one of the most heartbreaking songs, you'll ever hear as you hear a lost child calling out for their father. You'll get that analogy after you listen to the song.








1.  Mufasa















Okay, admit you saw this one coming.   Mufasa is one of the best Disney characters ever in my opinion and being voiced by James Earl Jones just makes every word he says sound grand.   Sure, he may have died early on in the film but he left such an impact that you cannot forget about him and the way he fends off the Hyenas in The Elephant Graveyard is all kinds of awesome.  Though in my opinion,  I feel his best moment comes after his death when he talks directly to his now adult son.  















Simba, you have forgotten me.



Adult Simba: No. How could I?



Mufasa's ghost: You have forgotten who you are and so have forgotten me. Look inside yourself, Simba. You are more than what you have become. You must take your place in the Circle of Life.




I find those words right there to be the most powerful of this film because as I said when talking about Simba, this is the wake up call that he needed and as I've said in previous Top 6's,  sometimes it takes hearing things we'd rather not to understand what must be done.      





There you have it, I hope that you've enjoyed this Top 6.  I know that I enjoyed working on it.   Tell me, are there any other characters that you would put on here.  Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment