Take A Look at Disney

8/24/12

Music Fridays # 64: Who am I?


Who am I?   This is a question, we see pop up a lot in music and Disney is no stranger to having their characters ask these questions.  It could be before or after an event that has changed them or could be about how they are perceived by the outside world.  Join me today as I look at some songs from Disney that ask this question.


One Jump Ahead (Reprise)





I think this song is a good example of the world around Aladdin not seeing there is more to the character then just being a street rat.  That's all they see him for even though we see him a gentleman that has to scrape the bottom of the barrel.   It's just his life though.


Reflection





I think this song does an even better job of conveying the question.  Mulan seems down trodden and lost as she feels that she'll never be able who she thinks her family wants her to be.  The idea of saying that the reflection that appears in the mirror is not the same as the woman she is on the inside is a nice touch and helps the audience to get into her head to find out what she thinks about herself but also how she feels and how she feels, she isn't good enough for her family.  Geese, I think I've made this song more tragic.


I'm Still Her






Now, I'll admit that perhaps this one is a bigger stretch but I think it still works and with this one, I find that Jim is in that awkward phase of his life, where's he not exactly a teen but he's not yet a man either.  We've all been there or for my younger readers, you'll get there and it's confusing as hell.  But it's a period we all go through and I think what makes this song work so well is  that it shows the build up to how Jim came to this point in his life and the events he's gone through have shaped him and that is what made unsure of his life. He's a good kid just with some rough edges, tis all.  




A Change In Me







This song which was originally written for Toni Braxton, when she played Belle,  I feel answers this questions and it shows  how Belle's time with Beast have changed her and that even though she'll hold onto her childhood dreams, she's ready for more adult dreams. Which in this case, I take to mean love and spending her life with Beast.  A very powerful yet simple song.  If your wondering why, I chose not to Miss Braxton's version of the song, there's two reasons,   there are very few good qualities versions online and secondly,  I didn't really care for her take as it to me sounded too husky.  That's not a hit on her but that's not how I think the song should sound.    



There you have it, I hope that you've enjoyed my look at these songs and I promise week, a simpler theme. Join me next time as I take a look at some AMVs featuring the music of Dr. Horrible.



No comments:

Post a Comment