Take A Look at Disney

9/4/12

Classic Shorts Showcase: The Flying Gauchito

Hello & welcome back.  Just like last week, I'll be taking a look at another short from The Three Caballeros. This week, I'm looking at The Flying Gauchito.  This short was a bit simple and also had that element of an animal that had something different about them.




The Plot


The short opens up on a young Gaucho as he is about to go out hunting birds. He has be to reminded by his older self to happens to be telling the story to remember his main weapon.  There we see him encounter Burrito, a flying donkey or a flying gauchito.  There Burrito and Gaucho become fast friends and they spend time together. Later Gaucho and Burrito enter a race that the festivities being held in the city. At first, they are laughed at the track because of small Burrito was but they didn't know about his wings. As they had been hidden.
















 Gaucho planned to use them.  He does and he wins but he is stripped of his winnings because that was deemed cheating. It was a simple plot but one that worked out rather well, I feel.








Narration


Old Gaucho - Voice Unknown


The story is told by the older Gaucho as he recalls his time meeting Burrito.  It was a fun touch, however there was something that was a bit odd.  At the end of the short, the Gaucho says that he & Burrito were never seen again.  Other than that, he was an all right narrator.  Nothing too special about him but I liked him.



Characters


Now I won't be breaking down this any further than here.  With that out of the way, let's go.


Young Gaucho

















The young Gaucho was a lot of fun and very likable.  He was very loyal to Burrito and I think it was a lot of fun watching them grow as friends.  Now going back to the race,  I don't if it was fair that he and Burrito lost their winnings. I mean yes,  he did cheat by using Burrito's wings and hiding them but at the same time, they were there and why not take advantage of them. Though, I have to say I love how at the end of the short, he and Burrito just exited with nothing but a smile on his face. As if indicating, "Yeah, I did it".

















Burrito




Burrito was perhaps the highlight of this short. He was a cute little donkey that was just so funny. He and the young Gaucho worked off each other quite well.  Burrito did not let Gaucho capture him easily and also when they started to become friends, you can feel the genuine friendship between them grow over time.  Now of my favorite moments in the short had to be at the start of the race...





There is just something about this image that I find humorous.  They look so serious and ready to race, yet Gaucho is facing in the wrong direction.  



My Final Thoughts


This is a fun little short.  Personally, I find The Cold Blooded Penguin to be stronger but this one is still a fun watch.  I'd say check it out, if anything here appeals to you.  Our trip to South America as we look at a short from The Three Caballero's predecessor, Saludos Amigos as I look at...


Pedro 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment