Take A Look at Disney

9/6/12

Music Fridays # 66: Songs Cut From Aladdin




Hello & welcome back to Music Fridays.  Long before I started this segment,  I wrote an article detailing songs that were cut from Disney films.   This is something I'd thought about covering on a Music Fridays for the longest time but I felt that I'd be repeating myself (albeit,  I'll be doing that here).  Now another thing to take note is that sometimes it's hard to come up with a theme for Music Fridays because say unlike Showcase, where I just have to look up a short,  I want to try and put more thought into the theme for Music Fridays. It can be related to something that is going on in my everyday life such as having a bad day or going to see the stage production of Beauty and The Beast.  I bring all of this up because I had thought about doing  a Music Fridays similar to that of my Beauty and The Beast Music Fridays seeing as that went over so well but that does not surprise me too much considering that well, it's Beauty and The Beast.  Again, I felt as though that would be repeating and I instead decided to combine the two themes I've discussed and that is why today, I'll be taking a look at songs that were cut from Aladdin.   Surprisingly, there are enough to sustain a Music Fridays article as I usually only cover 4 songs and there seems to be a good number.  With that out of the way, let's begin. 



Proud of Your Boy






Now I've touched upon this song plenty of times before in the past and for good reason, it's one of my favorite songs from Disney.  I find it tragic that this song didn't make it into the film as it is just so hauntingly beautiful and true because all children feel this way at one point in their life. The feeling of,  I can do better.   It's often that we are own worst judge and I think this song shows that when we try to compare ourselves to our parents, we may feel as though we let them down. The thing I take away from this song most of all is that Aladdin knows that his parents did love him but he felt that he needed to give them a reason to be proud. Again, we've all been there before and for another song I greatly enjoy that explores this theme, I suggest Do I Make You Proud.



Call Me a Princess 







Get ready for a treat here, now I couldn't find all of this song but this one  alongside Proud of Your Boy did eventually make it into the stage production of Aladdin.  This one here actually featured Howard Ashman and Alan Menken.   Now as for my take on the little bit, I've heard here. It sounded like they were having a good time but I've listened to what this song became in the play and it just doesn't seem like Jasmine as it makes her sound preppy and snooty.   But I've also seen the argument that this song could've been used as a way by Jasmine to scare off suitors and that would make sense.


Why Me?








This would've been the perfect Villain song for Jafar.  It is just so over the top and twisted and evil for him.  While I love his reprise of Prince Ali,  part of me feels that this would've been the better song.  Because I feel that it gives him more to do and I think it would've been a standout song had it been used.   Yes you do see elements of this song that eventually worked it's way into Jafar's reprise of Prince Ali but I still think this song is more fun, which is saying something because the Prince Ali reprise is one of my favorite villain songs.


Humiliate The Boy






This is another fine song and I could see this one being used right after Prince Ali.  The mist jarring thing about this video is Iago's voice but I have to say that all in all, this is another good song and I love how Jafar gets Genie to reveal what the animals were and the idea of seeing the animals and parade change in front of people's eyes seems like a really cool idea.  It is such a great way to bring down your opponent.   This is a really neat song but I still think Why Me? is better.



There you have it, a look at 4 songs that were cut from Aladdin and for the most part, I've found most of them enjoyable.  Tell me, what are your thoughts on these songs.  Join me next week when we get classical as I take a look at songs from the album....

Heigh Ho Mozart





No comments:

Post a Comment