Take A Look at Disney

11/28/12

Christmas: Pete's Christmas Caper (House of Mouse Episode Review)

Welcome back and today, we head to the House of Mouse to take a look at their first Christmas episode. Which sadly didn't work for me.  No, matter they one more chances to impress.   Now I won't be reviewing the short in this review as I'm saving that for a Christmas Short Showcase




Episode Title



Pete's Christmas Caper


There really isn't anything to particularly special about this episode title,  I mean it lets you know that Pete is the main character and by the way, he is probably the only character, I'll focus on as again he is the only one that played a truly important role.



The Plot


The plot, well I gotta be honest,  I feel like I've seen this plot before and yeah, that may be true for other episodes I review but unlike Fountain from yesterday, when I thought of something else and it didn't bug me, here.  It did,  in a strange way the plot reminded me of the Grinch but instead of stealing Christmas, Pete was stealing all the presents.  The only subplot in this episode was Mortimer trying to get Minnie to kiss him underneath the mistletoe, which had a nice resolution with Pete kissing Mortimer.  I will say that I also liked how when Pete stole the presents,  they did a Christmas version of The Sorrcer's Apprentice and the resolution of Pete hiding the presents in the furnace  and then having them burn after Mickey told Pete that all of the presents were for him was a bit funny but otherwise, it couldn't save this rather dull episode.  I should actually mention what the plot was,  it's Christmas time at the House of Mouse and they're doing a gift exchange and Pete comes charging in thinking, he wasn't invited but it turns out he was and he asks Mickey, if he can be Santa.  Mickey says yes.  Really Mickey, I know that Pete was begging and even kissing your feet but you let Pete be Santa Claus.  Later, we see Pete steal a Santa outfit from a Santa in a sleigh.  Same old Pete.  I think this episode was trying to find a way to use Pete in a fun way for a Christmas episode.  Why didn't they go with the theme of redemption?   That would've worked showing Pete that his actions have consequences. Which yes, that did happen here but it was done in such a jokey manner.   They could've explored upon this idea further and I say, it would've been better if they had actually used more Grinch elements such as instead of Pete getting mad himself about putting the presents in the furnace, and then find out that they were all for him.  They could've had Pete realize that maybe he could put aside his villainous ways by looking at how the others celebrate and show Pete that there is more to Christmas then just presents.  Presents are nice but  Christmas should also be enjoyed by the people you spend it with.  The way it was, this episode just felt shallow.



Character


Pete voiced by Jim Cummings

















As I said when talking about the plot, there is so much that they could've done with this episode and with Pete.  They had a great idea with having Pete steal the presents but they stopped there. There are so many ways, that they could've taken this.   Honestly,  I think if they had taken it in the Grinch route, this would've been one of the best episodes of the series.  ( Man, I hate writing negative reviews about my favorite show). I don't know what happened because they had a great premise with this episode but the execution just fell short.


My Final Thoughts


This is not a good episode of House of Mouse at all.   I'd advise skipping it.  The premise is good but again, the episode fails in the execution.   It's disappointing really but ah, well.   Join me tomorrow as I take a look at House of Mouse's second Christmas episode...

Clarabelle's Christmas List






No comments:

Post a Comment