Take A Look at Disney

12/27/12

Stinky Pete Vs. Lots-O' Huggin'-Bear






Hello and welcome back.  Well, it's time for another Vs.,  our first Pixar Vs. as well. I'm sure, a lot of you are happy about that. Also, this is our second Vs., where the characters are from the same universe. I've had this one in my head for the longest time.  Ever since I saw Toy Story 3 in theaters,  Lots-O' reminded of Stinky Pete.   There are a few similarities that can be found between the two and today, I'm taking these two Toy Story villains and pitting them up against each other.   Now I've made feelings on these two films no secret. Toy Story 2, favorite Pixar film.  Toy Story 3, eh, it's okay if a little overrated but I'm putting aside my feelings regarding these films and just looking at the characters.  The rounds will include Personality (1), which villain had the better personality,  Action (2), who I feel  went about their villainy in the better manner. Back Story (3),  this one is important for these characters as both of them are given backstories but which one was better. Demise (4), seeing as neither of these baddies die,  which one had the more deserving demise.   And finally The Film Factor (The Final Round), which villain worked better in their respective film. With that out of the way, let's begin. With that out of the way, let's begin. 



Personality (Round 1)


Stinky Pete


Okay, this is probably where the biggest similarity between these two came in for me.   Both of these characters when they are first introduced are shown to be nice toys, if a little old. It isn't until later on that it's revealed that they are actually the villain. If not to the audience,  to the characters and with Stinky Pete, I really feel like they played that up quite well for the film and when they actually revealed what he was truly like.   And I gotta say, when the film showed Stinky Pete's true colors, I was taken by surprise for the first time and while it was clear that Stinky Pete was evil but I never felt as though,  Stinky Pete was over the top and felt like a real threat and you could understand, how the years have worn on Stinky Pete and made him bitter.  In that regard,  I could almost sympathize with the Prospector.   While he was a cartoon character and once, I knew he was evil, he never felt over the top.



Lots-O' Huggin'-Bear

As I said above, I really felt this was the biggest area of similarities between these two characters in how that I hide the villain's true personalities.   However,  once TS3 revealed Lots-O's true personality and showed that he was the bad guy, it feels like the film wouldn't let us forget. Honestly, it felt as though they had to hammer in, he's evil. Don't forget, he's the villain.    Don't get me wrong,   he's still a good villain but I feel as though the film was too over the top with this area and I gotta be honest, it was annoying in some areas.   Honestly, I expected the film to place a neon sign saying evil next to Lots-O' at certain points whereas with Stinky Pete,  I had a bit of a shadow of a doubt if Pete was the villain or not and for that reason, I have to give this round to...


Stinky Pete








Action (Round 2)




Okay for this round, I'll be looking at how these two went about getting what they wanted.


Stinky Pete


Pete was more subtle in how he went about his plans and to be honest, I liked this because it ties back into the doubt of whether or not,  he was the real villain.   I mean, some of his stuff happened off screen and again, he didn't show his true colors until Buzz showed up.  This was really nice and I thought it worked really well.  I think the biggest moment that comes to mind for me is when it's revealed that Stinky Pete was the one that turned on the TV which caused Woody & Jessie to get into one of their arguments and when he gets out of his box.


Lots-O' Huggin'-Bear


Now while I liked how subtle, Stinky Pete was,  I actually felt some of the actions Lots-O' took were more threatening.  I think the first area, where I felt Lots-O' was the most threatening was when he reset Buzz and turned him evil.  I honestly feel that Lots-O' took a much better approach with being evil and his actions.  It was a bit more entertaining watching him with his actions because it was clear that he was someone not to mess with and for that reason, I have to give this round to..


Lots-O' Huggin'- Bear















Backstory (Round 3)


Stinky Pete


Okay, Stinky Pete isn't given a straight backstory and instead it's mostly hinted at.  From what I could gather,  he was a toy from the '50s, when  cowboy shows were popular and the rise of space toys or sputnik as he said made him bitter.   So, from what I can gather here, Stinky Pete was jealous of the new popularity that space toys were getting and almost fits into more what he was doing why he did it but that is the best I got out of it.  Maybe I'm wrong here but that is what it seems to be to me.



Lots-O' Huggin-Bear


Just watch








I don't think anything really needs to be said regarding this.  It's tragic.   Lots-O' felt betrayed by Daisy. As Chuckles pointed out,  Lots-O' changed after that day.  It is so sad and makes it so easy to understand how Lots-O' became who he is in the present in this film.   Honestly, it explains so much and I feel that Lots-O's backstory can be described perfectly with this line.





No owners means - no heartbreak!



That in a nutshell is Lots-O's backstory.  It is just so sad and tragic and works so well. For that reason, I've got to give to this evil bear.  So this round goes to...


Lots-O' Huggin- Bear















Demise (Round 4)



Stinky Pete


Stinky Pete's demise fit perfectly for him. The fact that he ended up in a young girl's barbie backpack and became her new toy was great. Because as it is seen throughout the film, Stinky Pete didn't really like kids and never wanted to be played with. He would've rather been a collector's item.












And the face, he made when he saw the little girl's Barbie was so priceless and you could just tell that Stinky Pete didn't want to be here.  Now I should mention, it's been stated in other Toy Story material such as a fake interview, where Stinky Pete has stated he has grown to like his new owner, Amy meaning that he had a change of heart. Now this wasn't in film so it doesn't matter but I wanted to mention it because I thought it was interesting.  Really, Stinky Pete's demise could best be summed up with this line from Woody.

Woody: Well, Stinky Pete, I think it's time you learned the true meaning of playtime. 
 



Lots-O' Huggin- Bear


Lots-O's demise, I don't think really fit his actions.  So, okay a dump truck driver finds him and remembers that toy from his childhood and puts him on the front of his dump truck.  Yeah, not buying it.   His punishment should've been severe for his actions.  Honestly, I think he should've been left in the dump not to be found.  It really to me doesn't fit him and was too much of a comedic demise for a character that was such a serious threat.  For that reason, I've got to give this round to...



Stinky Pete






















The Film Factor (The Final Round)



Well all right, we've reached The Final Round and both of these villains are all tied up.  So, anyone could come out on top. Now, we come to The Film Factor, which character worked better in their respective film.


Stinky Pete


Stinky Pete  worked rather well in his film. I think the big reason, he worked so well was that he was a behind the scenes villain and honestly,  this reveal the first time, I saw it was quite a surprise.  I don't know why because there were clues that pointed to it but still,  I was like "Whoa, he's the bad guy!"  I thought that was great part on the film's part.  And when it was revealed, he was the villain, he felt like a genuine threat and in certain aspects, I could feel for him.  



Lots-O' Huggin-Bear



Again, Lots-O' worked really well in his film and he is one of the standout Pixar villains.   Again,  as I've said throughout  I did find that the film at points felt the need to drive home the fact that he was the bad guy.  And that was a bit annoying but all the same, he was a good villain.  Man, this is tough, these are two great baddies.  It almost feels like the only way to determine this would be a coin toss but no, when looking at it, I think I know who's going to win. These are both great bad guys but looking at it, I've gotta give this round to...

Stinky Pete




















The End Result!



By a score of 3 - 2, Stinky Pete wins.  I want to stress that TS2 being one of my favorite animated films had nothing to do with this decision.  As I said in the intro,  I was trying to look at these characters separate from their films  and when looking at it,  I feel that Stinky Pete is the better baddie.  Both of these are good villains.  And while I do think Lots-O' is perhaps more threatening,  I think that Stinky Pete is the all around better villain.  I already know that there will be a lot of disagreement over this one. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment