Take A Look at Disney

3/22/13

Can We Talk about Disney's Upcoming Remakes

Oh, Disney you made it.  Good, have a seat.  Look, we need to talk.  I know remakes are all the craze right now but I thought you were better then that.  Apparently, I was wrong.   Okay, so there are three rumored remakes you are working on right now. Let's take a look at them.   Beauty and The Beast, Cinderella, and Pete's Dragon. Let's start with Pete's Dragon.















This is a cute charming little movie and I'm sure, a new live action musical from you guys could be great.  Oh, what's that?   It won't be a musical.  Well okay, that seems like an odd decision but I can kinda understand that if you don't want it to be compared to the original.  Now can I be led to assume that Elliot will be rendered in CGI instead of hand-drawn?  Oh,  your not sure but most likely.  Well okay, thank you for being honest with me.    Now I am willing to give this one a chance but it does seem odd to do this, when to be honest, this is one of your more forgettable films.  




Now the next two,  Cinderella and Beauty and The Beast.















Okay, so these are less remakes and more reimagnings. Fair enough and I get that as revisionist fairytales are a big craze right now and heck, one of my favorite shows right now is all about that.



 













So perhaps,  I am being too hasty in judging as revisionist fairytales can be really good.   Now sure, I said that remakes aren't a good thing but with the track record of remakes that even you guys have, it's not hard to make that claim as to honest, most of your remakes suck.  Okay,  The Parent Trap is a good remake but then there is The Shaggy Dog starring Tim Allen.  Really, that would've been good as Tim Allen is funny but it sucked hard!  For some reason, when you guys do remakes, they seem to lose the charm of what made the originals so great.  Now again, I know these are actually more or less revisionist fairytales and that could work. That really could work but I think people are right weary of these ideas because your throwing out names of classics and people love the classics.   I love both of the animated films, even if they aren't in my Top 6 of favorite Disney movies.  (Of course, the only two that are always there are Dumbo & Tangled).  So, I get people's reservations about this.   I'd like to see these films be good and I do trust you but this is a big undertaking. So, who's attached to the Beauty and The Beast remake anyways?   Emma Watson.  Hermonie, is she playing Belle? Because if so, that'd hot!  Guillmeo del Toro.   Okay, so it's going to be a darker take on Beauty and The Beast and if that's the case.  Looks, like it may be years before we ever see this film as that man seems determined to have his name on everything in Hollywood these days.  Can you let him know, I'd like to see some more on his Haunted Mansion movie before this one. And also, please consider Nathan Fillion for Gaston.  Well, okay that won't work, if it's going to be darker but   I just want to see him play Gaston.   (Just go watch Doctor Horrible and you'll see why).   So, these could be good and I will hold out hope for them.   Thanks for taking the time to discuss this with me. Peace! 

12 comments:

  1. Question: Do you count Alice in Wonderland by Tim Burton a remake of Alice in Wonderland from the 50s? Cos that's the guideline when it comes to whether we should be calling these 'remakes' or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that's more of an inspired (yet terrible) revisionist sequel to the original tale. Notice that I used the term revisionist fairy tale. Which refers to someone taking a known story and going "Here's how it really happened".

      Delete
    2. So how is that gonna be any different to what Cinderella and B&B are gonna do?

      Delete
    3. It isn't really and revisionist fairy tales are "In" right now. I mean my TV show (besides Pony) is all about showing the audience what really happened with the fairy tale characters, we know and love. And they take liberties, for example on Once Upon A Time, Rumpelstiltskin and The Beast from Beauty and The Beast are one in the same. Or if you want a more recent example in film, there's Jack The Giant Slayer. Showing us what really happened when Jack went up the beanstalk or Oz: The Great and Powerful, which shows us how The Wizard came to Oz and along that same line is Wicked, showing how The Wicked Witch came to be. Notice that my tone changes throughout the article from starting out with disappointment to trying to understand. It's not that I want to look down on these films because they aren't out yet but rather, those are big names and people have nostalgia attached to the classics. Yes, this originally start off with me wanting to bash the idea but as you saw, it became more of trying to understand myself and if your wondering why, I wrote it the way I did. I thought it'd be fun.

      Delete
    4. Oh yeah, I was more pointing out how your title is somewhat misleading in that regard. It seems odd when you say 'can we talk about Disney's upcoming remakes' when you admit that they're not remakes.

      Hence why I was a bit confused. You say 'remakes' but talk about them as 'reviosonarys', making me wonder if I'd missed something in the conversation lol.

      Basically it's more of a gripe about termionlogy then any serious flaw in the blog.

      Delete
    5. Well okay, remakes grabs more people's attention, the same way you figured saying Mickey Mouse sucks would grab attention. Is the title misleading? Yes but it's an easy attention grabber.

      Delete
  2. I can't believe it didn't occur to me till now but: 101 Dalmanations. The 1996 movie. Whilst I could go on and on about it I think just mentioning it is enough to show that the idea of doing live-action remakes is nothing new and isn't a completely flawed idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did I not think of that? LOL

      Delete
    2. To be fair I only remember cos I saw it on TV and went 'oh yeah, that exists' and then remembered this blog days later.

      But yes, this does show it's not a new concept at the very least. It also shows that Disney isn't gonna learn from past mistakes, but anyone who looks at the past knows that :P

      Delete
    3. Okay, cool. Yeah, remakes aren't a new concept from Disney because they remade The Parent Trap and I really like the remake of that film.

      Delete