Take A Look at Disney

10/9/13

Halloween: Runaway Brain






Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney Halloween.  After yesterday's debacle of Darkfan taking over my blog,  I'm back on track.  I still want to know how he got here. No matter,  let's get back to our Halloween celebration by taking a look at the short Runaway Brain. It's interesting that while this short isn't forgotten but rather Disney doesn't seem to want to recognize it's existence.    I don't know why, perhaps because it is a bit darker then Mickey shorts that came before it or so people would think as you saw with The Mad Doctor and there is also the short, Haunted House. We will tackle that short next Tuesday.  So that isn't the case and quite honestly, this short isn't as dark as The Mad Doctor.  I mean yes, this short does feature a death but even still,  I don't find that this short is as dark as it is made out to be by some people, with that out of the way, let's get this review started. 




Darkfan21:  That Fool,  he has no idea that I'm still here! It was so easy getting here once I figured out the portal spell that Merlin did not want me to see.


Moviefan12:  Darkfan, what are you still doing here?   I thought I got rid of you yesterday.



Darkfan21:  It's as I said yesterday, you can't get rid of me that easily.   I have something that could help you and you have something that I want.  


Moviefan12:   Keep it but if you want the Sofia The First DVD but first, you must help me review these next two shorts.


Darkfan: Fine, if I must but I do not see any big issue with this.



Moviefan12:  Not so fast, there are a few rules.  First, you'll show respect to these characters and actually refer to them by name.



Darkfan21:  If I must,  look I just want the DVD.   Can we get this over with?  I really want to watch it,  Please!   This has the witch episode on it.   Can we just get on with the review?  Pleeassssse!




Moviefan12: Well, seeing as you are so excited.  Why not?








The Plot


Moviefan12:   We open the short at Mickey's house, where he is playing a Snow White fighting game.  When Minnie barges in, to remind Mickey of their anniversary of their first date and Mickey at the last minute shows her a newspaper ad for a mini gold course, but underneath it is an ad for a Hawaiian getaway and Minnie assumes that what her present is.

















Darkfan21:   A fighting game based on Snow White.  That seems rather morbid,  I like it.   Is there anywhere I can pick this game up?




Moviefan12:  Uh no, sorry.  So afterwards, Pluto shows Mickey the Want Ads and sees a job that requires very little work and it pays the amount that Mickey needs for the tropical trip.   He heads to a mansion on Lobotomy Lane (I think) and there, we are introduced to Dr. Frankenollie.  

















He plans to swap brains with that of Mickey into his creation, Julius.   This mad doctor is a bit on the loopy side but Kelsey Grammer sells the role.  Shame, that's he barely in the short for so long as he dies after the brain swap.















Darkfan21:    WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!   Okay, seriously what does Disney have against mad scientists,  they kill off The Mad Doctor in Epic Mickey 2 and here,   this doctor dies.   WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?



Moviefan12:  Well actually,  The Mad Doctor's  death is one of two endings for Epic Mickey 2, there is an ending, where he survives.  I just showed you the death ending to mess with you and as for Frankenollie,  he died at the hands of his own experiment. Sometimes trying to play God,  comes back to bite you in the rear. Though to be fair,  the experiment is a success as we see.   And this does lead to a gag,  I like when Mickey now in Julius' body, tries to explain who he is and he takes out Mickey's wallet and sees pictures of Mickey including one from Steamboat Willie, and Mickey says that's old.


















And then after seeing a picture of Minnie,  Julius become infatuated with her and keeps on repeating her name, over and over again.  And looks for and finds her a clothing store.  Minnie is oblivious at first that this is not Mickey.   Even though there are enough differences in the look to know that it really isn't Mickey as Julius/Mickey is a bit furrier then Mickey/Mickey.


 





Darkfan21:  I must agree, that is rather strange that the female Mouse err, I mean Minnie didn't notice the difference.  Wait a minute, there was an ending where The Mad Doctor lived!




Moviefan12:  Yes well, moving on.   After this, we see Mickey/Julius find  Minnie and tries to stop Julius but at first, Minnie thinks it is a monster.   And after some convincing,  Minnie tells Mickey to go get 'em.    And things get a wee bit intense and at one point,  we Mickey and Julius get zapped and their brains are switched back.













Darkfan21:   I'm not talking to you.  You tricked me.   



Moviefan12: Fine,  be as petty as you want.   So, anyways after this we see one last face off between Julius and Mickey after Julius takes Minnie and we see Mickey defeat him and they use Julius to take them on their tropical trip.













All in all,  I like this short very much.  It is quite good.  Darkfan, thoughts?



Darkfan21:  I am reluctant to admit that other then the mad scientist dying, this short wasn't that bad.  





Moviefan12:  What's that?  You actually liked this.  You liked a short starring Mickey,  and he lives.  Maybe, you are coming around after all.



Darkfan21:  Yes well, don't get used to it!  Can I have the DVD now?



Moviefan12:  No, the review isn't done.  We still have to talk about the characters.





Characters


Moviefan12:  This'll be broken down into Main, Supporting, and villain.   Let's begin.   You, okay with that Darkfan?


Darkfan21:  Why isn't the villain first?


Moviefan12: I'm ignoring that, let's begin.



Main Character



Mickey voiced by Wayne Allwine











Moviefan12:  This short did show one of Mickey's biggest flaws,  is that he sometimes waits to the last minute to get things done.  And that flaw is what got him into this situation in the first place.  If Mickey had just remembered his anniversary, he wouldn't have had his brain swapped with Julius in the first place.


Darkfan21:  It is nice to see,  that this mouse isn't so perfect after all.  It would've made it easier to  get rid of him,  had I known this.


Moviefan12:   Darkfan?



Darkfan21:  What, I'm just sayin'?  




Moviefan12:  Yes well, let's move on.



Supporting Character



Minnie voiced by Russi Taylor















Moviefan12:  Now, there really isn't too much to comment on here with Minnie.  I understand her frustration with Mickey as that has been seen in other shorts, where Mickey forgets something of importance concerning their relationship.



Darkfan21:  Mickey doesn't sound like a very good boyfriend,  why does Minnie stay with him?   




Moviefan12:  Well, he does have other traits then that.  He is very loyal to Minnie and he does try to make up for his mistakes.




Villains


Julius voiced by  Jim Cummings













Moviefan12:  Julius is an interesting case because while he is evil and there is no denying that,  I don't view hims as the main villain in this short say unlike Dr. Frankenollie.   With Julius, he's a monster  and his infatuation with Minnie is a play on common monster themes a la chasing after the beautiful female lead.    While Julius is evil,  it's hard for me to truly view him as villainous.  Though,  I'll say he looks super duper creepy in Mickey's body.



Darkfan21: Uh,  yes even I must admit that  look is a bit creepy.  Darn it, why didn't I know this, the first time I fought you!


Moviefan12:  Really, just really?




Dr.  Frankenollie voiced by Kelsey Grammer

















Moviefan12:  Darkfan,  seeing as I know what you are going to say, I'll let you go first.



Darkfan21:   What does this corporation have against scientists?  Sure,  his experiment was a bit unethical and he was a little deranged and loopy but I just believe that stems from how dedicated to his cause, he was.  You can call it karma but I'm just saddened that I had to witness his death.  At least,  I didn't have to see The Mad Doctor's death.  I do not think that my evil heart could take that.


Moviefan12:  Yes well,  as I said.  I believe his death is a result of him getting his just desserts for trying to play God and create a being that he never should've attempted to create in the first place.   So,  I can't be too saddened by his death because I feel as though, he had it coming to him.  Would you like to say your final thoughts, Darkfan?


Darkfan21:  No, not really!  Can  I just have the DVD now.  Please, please, please!  



Moviefan12:  No, we have one more review to do.



Darkfan21:  Fine,  I'll be back for the next review and since I've glanced your schedule, that's not until Tuesday.  I'll be back and that DVD will be mine.




Moviefan12: Well see ya, Tuesday Darkfan.



My Final Thoughts


Overall, this is an excellent short that deserves to be viewed at least once.  It is a wee bit darker then most other Mickey shorts that were currently coming out back in the nineties but I'm okay with that as Mickey, back in his golden didn't shy away from darkness and this short doesn't really date itself all that much.  The animation at best has a '90s feel to it but other then that, the story doesn't feel very '90s.    So yeah, check this short out. See ya next time as I take break from Disney as I countdown the...


Top 6 Creepiest Creatures of Once Upon A Time


No comments:

Post a Comment