Take A Look at Disney

12/12/13

Christmas Super Stuffed Stocking Special Music Fridays # 115: Disney's Family Christmas Collection





Hello  & welcome to a Super Stocking Stuffed Special Music Fridays.  This will undoubtedly be one of, if not the longest Music Fridays to date as I give you my thoughts on most of the  songs featured on Disney's Family Christmas Collection.  Now,  I decided to make it this big as this is the last A Look at Disney of the new year seeing as I'm going away for Christmas next week but never Trotting Through The Snow will conclude as I'm not leaving until Thursday but I made the decision from the get go to have this be the final Christmas article.  Let's begin.


Jingle Bells








We open with Jingle Bells as sung by Mickey and the gang.  This is cute and while these characters may not have the singing talents of say The Muppets, this is still a lot of fun for kids and Disney fans alike at this time of year.  Although I will say that Goofy's part about falling on his back to me is just rather sad and not at all funny. Someone laughed at Goofy as he fell and didn't offer Goofy help to get back up.  Really.


Frosty The Snowman







Now this version of Frosty seems to have a more laid back tone to it with the singer Jeff Gunn.  And I find that makes this classic tune work in a new light as it makes Frosty sound cool.  Not in the cold sense but in that the song just sounds cool.


Joy To The World







Our first number from The Disney Holiday Chorus and I like it a lot. With this one,  I just picture myself by the fire with a mug of hot coca warming up after coming in from a heavy snow.  It just puts me in a happy spirit and I can't ask for much more then that.


Deck The Halls





It's nice to hear Mickey and the gang again and I think they sound better here on Deck The Halls then they did during Jingle Bells.  Neither are bad performances and I love getting to hear my favorite characters sing.  Although I do think Goofy is kinda weak but still fun.   And of course, Goofy would like Fruitcake.  Does anyone still eat those things?


We Wish You A Merry Christmas






More from The Disney Holiday Chorus and while this isn't bad, I'm a little bummed after getting to hear Mickey sing, I wanted more Mickey.  I'm sorry but Mickey brings out my inner five year old, who if you give some Mickey, and that five year old does getting to hear Mickey at the end but as for The Disney Holiday Chorus on this number, it's passable.


Sleigh Ride






YAY!!!  More Mickey.  Ahem,   this song is so much fun but this song has always been fun and that lead singer, you hear is Larry Groce.  He is featured on a lot of these numbers.  Okay, it's nice to finally hear Donald on a track and I think one of my favorite things about this number is that it included the Goofy Holler.


Here Comes Santa Claus






Okay, is it just me or do the guys sound different here then they do in the other numbers?  It's not bad but I swear Mickey, Donald and Goofy sound different and Mickey's voice is actually really bad here.   Sorry, Mickey.   Also,  this is an odd thought but I swear that this song is one I never hear anymore.  It feels like this is one that doesn't get much airtime nowadays.  Which is okay as there are so many but I don't know.




The Santa Wrap






WHAT..... IN... THE...WORLD.....IS....SUPPOSED....TO....BE?  I'm at a lost here,  I mean if you listen,  this number samples "Santa Is Comin' To Town".  So my question is why not include that instead of this... thing.  WHAT IS IT?   It just sounds weird!  In no way,  and honestly, coming after Hark The Herald Angels Sing (not on YouTube sadly) on the album makes this song seems all the more out of place.


Winter Wonderland






Ah, The Disney Holiday Chorus have come and made up for that yellow snow with this nice little number that puts me back by the fireplace. And again, this one is really cool. And I'm not 100% but it sounds acapella.  Which if so, is cool.


The Science of The Season






Okay, this song is just too cute and I imagine that little kids would get a kick out of this and I'm sure that they know who Ludwig is.  This one is just too adorable.



Jolly Old St. Nicholas







I can't say that I was ever the biggest fan of this song.  It's not bad but I don't know,  it just that feeling of being cutesy and trying to hard at that.   I mean,  don't get me wrong I like cute things but this song never worked for me.


Bring a Torch Jeannette, Isabella





Before I got this soundtrack off of ITunes,  I'd never heard this song before and that's a shame as it's really good.  Sure, it's a bit short but it's really good and The Disney Holiday Chorus do a beautiful job as keeping this song simple and retaining it's beauty. This song simply deserves the honor of going with so many other things that have earned the title of beautifully simple.


Carol of The Bells




This is another nice song.  Although,  I gotta be honest,  I've always found this song a bit creepy in how it's sung. I can't explain it. This is a good song but something about the way it's sung is eerie.



Silent Night





This is just so peaceful and calm that it can easily put in a lullaby like state as they drift off to sleep. The lady singing here is doing a fantastic job with this Christmas classic.  It has that feeling of everything will be okay. 


What Child Is This? 




I only discovered this song a few years ago.  I believe it was Julianne Hough singing, the first time I heard it and it has slowly become one of my favorites.  I've always found that this song makes for a good companion piece with "Mary, Did You Know?"  We all know who this song is about and this version is quite enjoyable.



Away In A Manger




Okay, maybe it's just me but I would've put this song before "What Child Is This?" but that's just me.  And it's nice to have more with The Disney Holiday Chorus as they are just great. And this song was very nice to listen to.



Oh Come All Ye Faithful 




Now the placing of this song makes more sense and man I am loving these guys.  They are just great.  There really isn't much left for me to say.



Rare Old Christmas






I know, I know this is bad but  listening to this song I imagine myself in EPCOT.   I'm such a nerd.  And I have to say it's really cool to hear something like this and what really makes this one work for me is the background music.  It really helps in building the Irish setting that this song is going for.


Angel Time




Okay, does anyone else think that title is bit weird and perhaps I'm disappointed seeing as this the last song, I was hoping for a fun romp number with Mickey and the gang.  Maybe some "12 Days of Christmas".  It's that pesky inner-child.  Now this song, yeah.  I get what they were going to for but I think I'm going to need to take a shower to wash off the sap from this number. It's not bad but it is so sappy and a little saccharine as well.  Again, it's not bad but it's not how I would've closed this out but that's just me.  Ah, well.




I hope that you guys have enjoyed this special Music Fridays.  And don't worry, I'll be next year starting with Top 6 Posts of A Look at Disney 2013 and Top 6 Goofiest Mistakes 4.  From A Look at Disney...


 




 









No comments:

Post a Comment