Take A Look at Disney

1/20/14

Can We Talk about Maleficent's Second Trailer




Hello  & welcome back to A Look at Disney.  If you've been following Disney at all,  you'd know that one of their more unique features that they have lined up is Maleficent.   A movie that tells the tale of Sleeping Beauty through the eyes of the supposed greatest Disney villain of all time  (I refuse to call her that).   Now,  I have no intentions of seeing the movie because A.  Sleeping Beauty is an awful awful movie.  B.  I think Angelina Jolie is overrated, as is Maleficent.    But I may be coming around on the film but there is one thing that really bugs me.    You see the second trailer for the film was just released.  Here ya go.







Did you guys notice something about that trailer.  Well,  let me tell you what it was.   It  used actual footage from Sleeping Beauty.   I'm  sorry but 






YOU DON'T DO THAT!!!!!   Look,  I may not like Sleeping Beauty but this film has not earned the right to do that.  Yes, we all know what you inspired by.





Besides that!    Look,  I'm sorry but you cannot use animation from a classic Disney film.  Even, if I don't like it, I'll defend it as a classic as it has stood the test of time for many others.   This  just bugs me because  it just comes across as if you guys are trying to ride off of people's nostalgia for that film by recreating the classic moments.  Which is one thing.  I don't have a problem with you recreating the classic moments in live action but to blatantly insert the animated moments and then go to the live action moments to me is just appalling.   Now, some of you might be thinking,  Moviefan,  the trailer for the remake of 101 Dalmatians also used moments from the animated feature.   




The difference is that it was the first shot of the trailer.  And that was it.   It wasn't constantly going back and forth as if  to say,  "Remember this.  You remember this, right?  Please tell us that you remember this.  Please, come on, we know our movie sucks and the only way to get people to see it is to show you scenes from this classic Disney film, right?"   




I'm sorry but doing this, just gives me the impression that the people behind this film give me the impression that they don't have faith in their own product.  If they actually  had faith in their product, they would NOT feel the need to insert scenes from the animated film to try and sell people on seeing this classic.   Here's a thing, as much as I loathe, despise and abhor Maleficent.   She is considered one of the most popular Disney villains in the Disney fan community.  You shouldn't have to need to do this to sell a movie about her.   The first trailer, which was not that great but better then this, didn't feel the need to do this.  So why, did you feel the need to put the animated sequences in the second trailer.  Gah!   Ah well!   I still don't intend on seeing this film but it'll probably do well, regardless.  What are your thoughts?  Tell me in the comments.  Peace!

3 comments:

  1. I was gonna ask what you thought of the trailer to see if we could do the same thing we did with Saving Mr Banks...

    ... But you, like me, realise it's probably gonna be a boring flop about a villain who really isn't all that she's cracked up to be. I'm gonna see this film, but they're gonna have to do a lot to make Malecifient even remotely interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree, there are dozens of other villains that I'd rather see expanded upon before her. That might be a future Top 6.

      Delete
    2. You up for a crossover about Top 6 Disney Villains that deserve movies before Malecifient? I was about to write it but since we both share the same topic it might be fun to crossover.

      Delete