Take A Look at Disney

6/16/14

A Look at Disney Sets Sail For Adventure: Can We Talk about Jake and The Never Land Pirates






Argh,  welcome  back aboard the  SS Fluttershy and today,  I am  taking  on a popular  Disney  Junior  show.   Jake  and  The  Never Land  Pirates.   Here's  the  thing, it's  not a bad show as the characters are well developed  but  I do have my share of issues with this show.  Such as why did they do a birthday episode, when this show takes  place  in Never Land.  Originally,  this was going to be a Top 6 but I couldn't  up   with 6 things  that bugged me.   Let's  get the first one out of the way..  Normally,   I don't  let animation  bug  me but  I'm sorry, something about the character designs, specifically for the characters that were originally  in the movie  just look off.  Let's  take  a look at Hook.


 











Okay,  so  Hook  doesn't  look too off as he still looks  a little  bit like  the animated  Hook.   But  it just seems   like, they softened  him up  to make  hims more child friendly  and  I recall  that my first  reaction to Hook's  design was  that, I said he looked  like a bath toy.   And  also, with Hook, they've  seemed  to made  him a bit of an idiot, which he was a bumbler  but not an idiot.  However, there are two  character designs of classic film characters that bug me even more.  That being Peter Pan and Tinker Bell.




Again,  these designs  look  off and yeesh,   Peter  looks  creepy in this new character design.   Congratulations,   Disney Junior,   you have  a Peter Pan that creeps me out more than Robbie Kaye.




Yes,  this Peter Pan's  design  creeps me out more than the  evil Pan from Once Upon A Time.   I think that mainly  comes from them trying way too ward to make him cute.   That  misses the point  of Peter  altogether,    as he's not cute.  He's  mischievous  and  a trouble maker.     And what's  up with Tink?  This new  design doesn't  even really look like her. I mean, it's her but it doesn't  look like   her.  Compare that to the CGI  Tinker Bell that Me Whitman plays.



At  least,  this  character looks  like Tinker Bell and I can tell, who she's  supposed to be.   Now,  what  about  Pan  in this show?  Well,  he's  not really  in it as he's not the main character as observed by the title and he at best has  a recurring role because he's  left Never Land to go and explore  other worlds.   Is this a prequel  to Hook?












Correct me, if  I'm wrong  but  if Peter  stays out of the Never Land  too long, won't he start to grow up?    I mean,  he does  show up on occasion but  for the most part, he's  not  in the show.    Now,  it does a fine job playing  up  the pirate angle  and  it's not bad in that regard but it feels weird to have new characters be enemies to Hook  and he's  even stated this.  Uh Hook, I get  why you want  revenge on Peter Pan.  I 'd  want it too if someone fed my hand to a crock.  But  what do you have against these kids,  that best seem to be 7 - 8 years old.

 









That's  a huge step down for ya, Hook.  And this also  falls  into the same problem I had with My Friends Tigger & Pooh being  that both of these shows  felt the need to create new characters to be the stars  and thus  replace the classic characters. Now, this doesn't bug me as much here as it did with Tigger and Pooh but I still find it absurd that they felt the need to create new characters.  Did they not think Peter Pan couldn't carry a show, or were they worried that he was too bratty for the preschool crowd that this show is targeted at.  I'm sorry, it just bugs  me but when I see a show with Never Land  in the title,  I expect Peter Pan.  Is that too much?   Again, the show isn't bad and does  have it's good moments and teaches good lessons  and hey,  Ariel Winter (the voice of Sofia from Sofia The First)  plays a mermaid in this show  and  Sharon Osbourne plays  Hook's mom, Mama  Hook.  That's pretty cool.













And  she's even written  a book starring  her character but at the end of the day, I have some minor  issues with this show.  Is it bad?  No,  but  I just  have a few issues with it and yeah,  I know it wasn't made for me but  I don't know, there are just things about this show that truly bug me.  Join me  tomorrow as we pull out of Never Land for a short break and head to Storybrooke to countdown   the Top 6 Moments of Killian Jones.  Aka  Once Upon A Time's Hook.  (Hey.  Once is a Disney show,  so this counts).



No comments:

Post a Comment