Take A Look at Disney

1/13/16

Wildcats Wednesdays: An Introduction





Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney.  January 20th will mark the ten year anniversary of  High School Musical and well I know public opinion of these films at the time was that they aren't very good films but I loved the first HSM film, when it aired ten years ago. So much that I got it on DVD and I own both of the sequels.  I've decided to review all 3 films and if you are expecting a bash fest, look elsewhere. As that is not my intent with these series of reviews.   I enjoyed these movies, when they first came out and I intend to review them by visiting them from the eyes of an adult, who loved these films when he was younger and I'm curious to see if I still enjoy them to this day.  Now some stipulations, I will only be reviewing the 3 movies in that main trilogy. I have no intent of looking at the horridly stupid Sharpay spin-off.





Though depending on my mood, I may look at the concert that was done.  




It is no surprise that Disney would cash in on HSM with a concert. High School Musical was the biggest cash cow that Disney Channel had. There were stage productions of the first film that schools could perform.  As there was also an ice show.






The second movie also got a stage adaption for school productions.  And as I've mentioned before, there was the one season reality show, where the prize was to win a walk-on part in the final film.





And for a while there at Hollywood Studios, there was a show that would be put on that featured songs and routines from the trilogy.









Besides this, you had all of the usual merchandise such as dolls, costumes, and books. Two of which I did read.  And the success of the HSM franchise led many Disney Channel fans to claim that that every movie series that came after it to be Disney's next attempt at High School Musical. Whether it be, Camp Rock, Teen Beach Movie or Descendants.  (Which btw is the worst of this example in my opinion).   And I do understand some of the detractors because Disney Channel and Disney in general were really heavy on promoting this film as observed up top and well I do get that a lot of older people were turned off by this or they just saw the movie and hated it.  That wasn't the case for me, I knew from the moment that I saw the first trailer, I had to check this film out.







Which was in heavy rotation leading up to the premiere of the film.  I missed the original airing of it the night that aired but thankfully, it was shown right again after the first airing.  Something Disney Channel stopped doing with their Original Movies but when your Original Movies include Descendants, that is perhaps for the best. I apologize for the cheap shots at Descendants but it goes back to what I said in my review of that film about comparing that film and High School Musical.








If I may speak as someone that is a fan of those films, each of those films had something that I felt was lacking from this film. Passion for the subject material. Say what you will about High School Musical and the juggernaut that it became but I felt the love from the cast and crew that went into those movies.



So yeah, I know that my opinion is not a popular one to have and that's why I avoided these reviewing these films, when I first started but as I've been at this for a while, I've stopped caring about what people think and instead enjoy what I enjoy and that's why I'm doing these series of reviews. Next time, we will kick off the reviews as I take a look at the first movie in the series and see how High School Musical became the juggernaut that it was. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment