Take A Look at Disney

1/18/16

A Bunch More Lego & Disney



Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney.  And perhaps, it's because I've been playing Lego Dimensions or the fact that I got a Lego Mystery Machine for Christmas but I've been itching to do another Lego & Disney article.  Now, the last time I did this, I got a bit topical but not today as I just want to have fun and look at the various Disney themed Lego sets that are out.  Now, where to start? How about with the youngest demographic as I take a look at the Disney Duplo sets that are out.



Duplo


Mickey Mouse


 





Now, I've mentioned in previous Lego & Disney articles that Lego has done other Mickey Mouse sets and they are usually aimed at the little ones and when we last talked about a Mickey Mouse Duplo set in 2013, I'll admit that I was less than pleased with the results.






 Now as for the pieces themselves,  they are kinda lame.  Look,  I know this set is meant for a younger crowd but here is something I take issue with.














Look maybe it is just me but I don't like the character bricks.  And as I said I understand that this set is intended for a younger age.  The age listing on the site was 1 1/2 - 5 years old and I get that a little bit but it almost feels cheap and as though, they didn't want to take the time to figure out make the molds for the characters. 



And I stand by my opinion that character bricks are lame, so it is nice to see figures for Mickey and Minnie return.  Though, you can most certainly tell that they are aimed at the younger crowd because of the cutesy nature here and something interesting to note is that, it says that these are based on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and yet in the set, Mickey's Birthday Parade, Mickey is wearing his suit that you see him at the parks.  Though, that seems to be more of a Disney Parks set and who knows, maybe one day that mirco scale Disneyland set on Lego Ideas will be approved to be a real set. So yeah, overall, these are nice sets.  I'm sure little ones'll love them.




Sofia The First



 





And sticking with Disney Junior shows, we have two sets based on Sofia The First and yeah, I know these sets are clearly not aimed at me but I think these figures are kinds ugly in bulky, they look and characters such as Clover and Minimus look flat.  I gotta say that these sets look really bland.  That's the only word that I can use to describe these sets. Moving on.



Disney Princess


Strap in folks, this is gonna be a long one.  There are a lot of Disney Princess sets to cover and the last time, I talked about them, they were all Duplo sets. That's not the case anymore as Disney Princess has become it's own line for Lego that 's like in between Duplo and older sets.  Where to start? Where to start? How about with Ariel? Sounds good to me.



Ariel's Undersea Palace





















I'll be honest and say that I like this set and I think it'd make a cute gift for a young girl that loves The Little Mermaid. Now, some AFOL's (Adult Fans of Lego) have come out and said that they aren't fans of the minidolls as it were.  That's what the characters in this and the Lego Friends line are referred to as they aren't your typical minifigures but I think that they look fine.  And this set does really seem to have a lot going on and it is nice to see Lego tapping into a market that they had been accused of ignoring for so long with these types of toys but if anything, can we agree that characters like Wyldstyle from The Lego Movie showed that Lego is a gender neutral toy.   Sorry, getting off -topic but yeah, I think this is a pretty cute set and I think Lego Flounder and Sebastian are adorable.



Jasmine's Exotic Palace
























Well, this wasn't exactly what I meant, when I said  Aladdin would work as a Lego set.







This is one that I had in my mind for the longest time. Just like Tarzan, I honestly think that Aladdin would lends itself well to Lego especially if they make a game with all the humor but for now, let's just focus on what could work. Some of the big set pieces from the film that I'd love to see. I think that the big ones I'd like to see would have to be the Cave of Wonders and the Sultan's Palace. Heck, I'd even like to see the Sultan's Palace after Jafar had taken it over. One of the big reasons that Sultan's Palace would work is that Lego has released a Taj Mahal and that is a bit similar to Sultan's Palace in design and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if Disney based that palace off the Taj Mahal.



And well, Aladdin isn't even a part of this set but it is nice to see Carpet get some love and this looks like it could be a fun set for kids to play out adventures in Agrabah.    There really isn't much more to it than that. It looks fun for the right demo and that's about it.






Cinderella's Romantic Castle
























I really like the castle and the dollhouse nature of it, is adorable.  I will give credit to all of the sets in the Disney Princess line in that I love the bright and vibrant colors that  draw your attention to them. There's not too much more that I can add. Moving on.


Palace Pets


















I'm not going to spend too much time on the Palace Pets as I said my peace on them, when they were first introduced and I can understand why Lego would want to get in on the Palace Pets theme as it's proven to be popular and they are brand new for 2016.  Now speaking of popular, that brings me to the next three sets in this line.  And that's no blizzard, that's Anna's sister.



Frozen



Elsa's Sparkling Ice Castle




















This set wasn't announced until after Frozen had come out and from what I understand, it sold out pretty fast.  Not too surprising and I do think that it's cute but every single time, I see a commercial for this set, I am baffled by the conclusion of ice cream and why is Kristoff's sleigh there without Kristoff?  But other than that, it's a pretty nice set and I've seen in some posts from some Lego Conventions that AFOL's have used this and other translucent blue Lego bricks to make more film appropriate ice castles.



Anna and Kristoff's Sleigh Adventure


 




















Oh, there's Kristoff.  And I gotta say that this set looks awesome. I love Wandering Oaken's but the greatest part of this set has to be Kristoff's Sleigh.  That looks like quite an awesome build.

















There is so much detail put into that sleigh, that I can't help but admire it.  This easily the best part of this set.  It's so cool looking.



Arendelle Castle Celebration
























I think that this is the newest Frozen set to come out and looking at the minidolls and the inclusion of the Snowgies,  you can see that this set is based on Frozen Fever.




















And while it's been a while since I've watched Frozen Fever, I warmed up to it during my second viewing and hey, while I ma not have been the biggest fan, the first time around, I do like see a Lego take on Arendelle Castle and with a brick separator, I imagine that it's a bit costly. I've seen one review of it from my favorite YouTube Lego reviewer, Jangbricks and Jang seemed to really like it. 



I do think that it's a cool looking set and I know a little girl that'd probably love it.  In the end, it's cute.  Okay, let's move onto to our last set.



Ideas


Wall-E
















Lego Ideas, formerly Cusoo is a site, where Lego fans can submit ideas that after getting a certain amount of votes, Lego can look for approval and this is how we've gotten such sets as the Back to The Future DeLorean, the Ecto-1,  Birds, and oddly, The Big Bang Theory.  Yeah, that last one makes no sense. And this model of Wall-E wasn't just submitted by a fan,  it was submitted by Wall-E's directing animator,  Angus MacLane.  Now back in 2008,  images of MacLane's Wall-E surfaced online as seen here on Brothers Brick along with an interview with MacLane.     It took until last year for MacLane's Wall-E to get the approval that's needed for Lego to consider for an actual set but I gotta say that Lego Wall-E is just as adorable  as film Wall-E and I think he may be going on my wishlist but I want the Ecto-1 more.   Though, I love the thought of having a Lego Wall-E.   Hes' just adorable.




There you have it,  my look at more Lego and Disney articles.   I've noticed that Lego seems to be more interested the princess lines as of late.  Nothing wrong with that and looking over all of them, I am truly impressed with what Lego has been doing over the years and it's nice to see two this that I love so much come together in such as fashion.  Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment