Take A Look at Disney

9/1/16

Music Fridays # 175: Anything Goes Once Again






Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney and back to Music Fridays and once again, this time anything goes. No set theme, just a bunch of random songs that I've chosen to look at. With that out of the way, let's begin.  



When I'm With You







Our first song comes from The Muppets' Wizard of Oz and consider this a preview for 2017's Birthday Theme Week as I'll be doing a Disney & Oz week.   I'll say this much, at least Queen Latifah and David Alan Grier  got to redeem their journey to Oz with The Wiz Live.  It's been maybe 8 years since I've watched The Muppets' Wizard of Oz but I remember it being absurd and not the good kind of Muppets' absurd.   It just didn't seem to work quite right and I can't place my finger on why but unlike their take on A Christmas Carol and Treasure Island, this one fell flat. As for this song, it's no If Only I Had A Brain or We're Off To See The Wizard, that's to be sure but it's okay. The biggest sin that it commits is being forgettable.  And I think that is a worse crime than being outright bad as there isn't really much here to talk about with this number.  



Sister Time 







This song is from the new Disney Channel/Disney Junior cartoon, Elena of Avalor and I've had this song stuck in my head since then.  It's a cute little catchy number showing Elena, the older sister cares for her little sis, Isa.  And that is something that Disney has really been pushing lately, the sisterly relationships.  Sure, the obvious one is Elsa and Anna but way before that, you also had Nani and Lilo.  And right around the time of Frozen, we were introduced to Tinker Bell's sister,  Periwinkle and I like seeing that carry over into their TV shows as those are nice relationships to see. And plus, this is just a really catchy number that easily gets stuck in my head, each time I hear it. 



When She Returns 






This song takes back to the world of Tangled and to Tangled: The Musical as we see Flynn and Rapunzel arrive in the land of Corona on the celebration for the lost princess as the subjects of the kingdom sing of the day that the lost princess will come home. With no-one not even the princess herself knowing that she has come home.  Underneath this song that is for a celebration as these gather to celebrate the life of a princess that they never knew hides a very somber and melancholy number as Rapunzel is so close to her real parents and this could have been the moment that could reunite but alas she didn't know the truth of heritage at this point. And that is what makes this song very somber.  


Try Everything 






Our last song takes us to the world of Zootopia.  I'm shocked that I haven't covered this song before or talked about Zootopia that much here.  Again, this is another fun song and it really fits with Judy Hopps' personality as she is determined to never give up and she'll always try to make it through. No matter, the odds.  Though, I'll admit that I am probably one of the few people that didn't get this song stuck in his head after seeing the movie.  I like it and the song has a good message but I don't find it to be as much of an earworm as other people do. 



There you have it, another Music Fridays. I hope that you've enjoyed my look at these songs. Peace!  

No comments:

Post a Comment