Take A Look at Disney

2/26/18

My Thoughts on the Live Action Kim Possible Disney Original Movie





Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney.   Kim Possible is one of my favorite animated series of all time and I think it is the greatest show to ever air on Disney Channel.  I know that may sound hyperbolic but I stand by that statement and at the beginning of the month,  it was announced that Disney Channel is working on a live action KP movie.  I'm of two minds on this.  My first reaction was this...


Please be good, please be good.  



My next thought was that  Disney Channel movies haven't exactly been great lately.  Looking at you, Descendants and on top of that,  live-action movies based on animated series have a spotty track record at best.  And sticking with live action TV movies based on animated series, we can turn to Disney Channel's competition and look at what happened when Cartoon Network decided to make a live action movie based on one of their animated series. 




Yeah.... up until Omniverse, I was a Ben 10 fan but even I have to admit that both live action Ben 10 movies weren't that great.  Something about the show's charm was just lost in translation to live action and I'll admit that is a small fear that I have for the KP movie, especially when you consider that KP had quite the rogues gallery.





I imagine that they'll probably use Drakken and Shego for the movie and I just think, it's going to be hard to get Drakken's personality right in live action.  I'm not saying that it can't be done.  But it just seems like it might be a little hard.   


This being a live-action reboot brings up another fear that I have.  That it'll be an origin story and look, I could get the desire to do that but nobody really cares about Kim's origin.  It was covered in the second of A Sitch in Time and it is just meant as a joke.  






Kim Possible wanted to supplement her allowance, so she decided to start up her own babysitting business and set up her own website, "KimPossible.com", under the slogan "I can do anything", and soon after her site went live, Kim was accidentally contacted by Mr. McHenry who was in trouble, and was trying to contact a different group of heroes named "Team Impossible."
Due to a typing error, he contacted "KimPossible.com" instead of "Impossible.com" after the rescue, Kim's fame as a hero grew until she was being contacted for help by people all over the world, even including governments and royalty.

Have a throwaway reference to that sure but treat it like how Spider-Man: Homecoming handled Peter.   Just like how Peter had been Spidey for a while, I think it would be more interesting if we open the movie with Kim and Ron already on a mission and this is something that they'd been doing for a while.   


  According to the Variety article that I linked to does say that the series creators, Mark McCorkle and Robert Schooley are writing the script.  So, that great KP humor will hopefully be kept intact.  And the directors are Adam B. Stein and ach Lipovsky and from what I can tell, they got their start on the HBO show, On The Lot.  Stein has worked on the Disney XD show, Mech-X4.  Which admittedly, I've only seen bits of but it's a giant mech show with similar humor to KP. 





A couple of years ago I did a blog asking Should Kim Possible be Rebooted?   And I posited that KP didn't need a reboot at the time but now, that we are getting a live action KP movie, I am cautiously optimistic but this is a series that means so much to me.   And this isn't the first time that that there had been talks of a live action KP movie as there had been talks about doing this back, when the show was still airing. And now to see this come to fruition is just exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time.   I don't get caught up in reboots like this a lot of the time but as I've stated throughout this blog, Kim Possible is a show that has always meant a lot to me.   Having said that,  can I just ask one small thing?  Can Christy Carlson Romano and Will Friedle have a cameo, please?  Friedle has worked with Disney Channel in recent years reprising his role of Eric Matthews on Girl Meets World, so maybe some could call him, beep him. (Sorry, not sorry)







That's all I'm asking.  Let me know what you think in the comments.  Peace!    

No comments:

Post a Comment