Take A Look at Disney

6/13/11

Top 6 Leading Ladies of Disney (With Dawn_Heart)

Tim: Welcome to a rather special Top 6. Today, I'll be counting down my Top 6 favorite Leading Ladies of Disney but I'll have a special guest alongside me to give her input on the characters and to reveal her # 1 favorite leading lady of Disney. Please give a warm  welcome to Dawn_Heart.

Meg: Hello everyone! I'm Meghan or Dawn_Heart, call me what ever you wish. I've been on the site for about 9 months.I love movies and some okay really most of my favorite ones are Disney so I'm going to enjoy talking the female characters I grew up with.

Tim: Thanks for joining me, Meghan and with that said. Let's begin.


6. Rapunzel - Tangled




Tim: Now ever since I saw Tangled, I have loved Rapunzel. She is one of the best female characters to come along in a long time.  She is relatable in that she has a dream. She just wants to leave the tower that Mother Gothel has kept her in all these years. We all have a dream and something that is holding us back. Be it a tower or a fear of something. One such example I would love to try and do a stand up comedy routine but I have stage fright. Even after taking three years of high school drama.   She reminds me of the Princess characters from the '90s Disney films with a mix of the Walt-era  Princess characters as well. Honestly, the two female characters that I think of the most when I think of Rapunzel are Belle and Ariel.  Also you have to love a woman that uses a frying pan as her main weapon that is just awesome.


Meg: I first saw this movie on a long, long bus trip up to New York with 30 other people. We all loved it! My friend and I discussed how much we like Rapunzel afterwards. She's sweet, brave, funny (The frying pan stuff nearly had us out of our seats laughing) and ends up saving the guy. We also liked that she would be a good role model for our younger cousins, like Belle was to us when we were kids



5.  Minnie Mouse





Tim: Now you can't do a leading ladies of Disney countdown without mentioning Minnie. Minnie is great and classic. She has developed quite well over time. People complain that today she is just a Mickey clone but I don't think so. I think that she started out as Mickey clone then  in the '00s on House of Mouse and Mickey Mouse Works, she finally became her own character.  Of course, you could also say her TV special, Totally Minnie developed her even if it was rather lackluster. Save for her duet with Sir Elton John.  Now I know some of you reading this aren't going to be happy with Minne only placed at # 5 and it  may even confuse some as I have said that Mickey is my favorite character. The only reason she is at # 5 is because Minnie can be assertive but sometimes for the wrong reason. Such as in Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas when her and Daisy got into a fight over the ice show. Minnie had her eyes set on the prize but she let the prize get in the way of her friendship. Even if she did learn her lesson in the end. Don't get me wrong, I  still like Minnie but I do have to agree that in certain cartoons she can come across as a Mickey clone.


Meg: I like Minnie because of the only way I really know her, House of Mouse. Before that show I had never seen any cartoons staring Mickey and the Gang. So that's really the only way I know her. Minnie to me is well organized, smart, and independent but a bit bossy and has quite the temper if I remember some shows right. Bossiness aside she can be sweet and would do anything for her friends (I remember a few shows where Daisy would annoy Minnie to death but she would put up with it). A final thought is that if there ever were to do a movie about Mickey and put it on the big screen I would really like to see Minnie and Mickey get married, they sure have been dating long enough

Tim: Those are some good observations about Minnie and you are right that Minnie is independent but as I stated she was not always that way. House of Mouse helped to develop her into that role. Sorry to tell you though according to Disney, there are no plans to ever have Mickey and Minnie tie the knot. Even though they sell Mickey and Minnie wedding stuff. As you said, they have been dating forever. So why not. Although Wayne Allwine, the previous voice of Mickey who has passed on was married to the current voice actress of Minnie Mouse, Russi Taylor. So in a way, Mickey and Minnie were married only off-camera.


4. Belle - Beauty and The Beast





Tim: Now I have always liked Belle. Belle to me represents a new age of the Disney Princess characters. She is strong-willed. She knows what she wants. She isn't just after a man and she wants people to like her for more than just her looks. Belle believes  knowledge is also important as observed by her love of reading. Another reason, I love Belle. I enjoy reading a good book and I could just picture myself having a nice conservation over classic literature with Belle.


Meg: Aww that's sweet about Minnie and Mickey. Now about Belle, the reason I brought up that Belle was a role model for me and my friend was because she was a lot like us. Girls who were considered a bit odd and always with our nose in a book and she's also a bit stubborn like us. I like Belle because I can see myself acting the same way if I was in her shoes though I'd probably freak out a lot more over the talking and singing items. She cares more about what is inside a person than outside as she manages to look past the Beast's curse and fall in love with him.



3.   Mary Poppins - Mary Poppins




Tim: Ah, Mary Poppins. Such as classic leading lady of Disney if there ever was one. I don't know what it is about Mary but she is fun, yet serious. She takes the Banks children on these fantastic adventures while still teaching them lessons. She likes to play games and isn't afraid to show her silly side. Which I think is the best part of she shows us, that you always need to make time for fun.  You could even say she's Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.  I think that everyone could use a Mary Poppins in their life. Also any woman that can use an umbrella to fly is awesome in my book.

Meg: I agree that everyone could use a Marry Poppins in their life. I kind of see her as a fixer of things. She comes in and brings a distant family closer together, fixing them in a sense. She's smart, magical, and loving. She also seems to have a huge fan club because everywhere she goes people and animals just adore her.


2. Ariel - The Little Mermaid




Tim: By now, it should be no big surprise that Ariel is on this list. As you all know I adore The Little Mermaid. There is just something about Ariel that really puts the movie over the top for me.  Unlike Rapunzel, who is shy and timid. Ariel is not. She is ambitious and knows what she wants. Just as with Belle, she wishes to learn. Even if Triton disapproves of her hobby, she doesn't care. While she does want to visit the land to be with Eric. She also wants to learn about our lifestyle. Her adventurous nature is another thing that I love about her. She is ready for any journey that comes her way and she'll tackle it head on.  Now the only big flaw with her is that she can be gullible at times.

Meg: I like Ariel a lot more now than I did as a kid. As a kid I didn't understand why she wanted to leave her home and I thougt she was too rebellious. Now as a teen I can relate to her more. She wants to be independent and explore new places and fall in love. I also think of her as being gullible as well as impulsive which gets her into a lot of trouble, but again I can relate on those points too.

Tim: Now as I said both Meghan and I will reveal her own # 1 choice. I have decided to let Meghan go first and reveal her # 1 leading lady of Disney. Her # 1 leading lady of Disney is.




Meg: My #1 Leading Lady has to be Esmeralda- The Hunchback of Notra Dame.





Esmeralda is my favorite for many reasons. She is smart and can think on her feet by avoiding Frollo's guards. She can take care of herself and is strong and even ends up saving Phoebus . She is also very caring. When poor Quasimodo is tied to that wheel and being mocked by the crowd she is the only person caring enough, and brave enough to stand up to Frollo. After this Esmeralda sings one of my favorite songs to come out of a Disney movie "God help the Outcasts." In it she doesn't pray for herself but for the less fortunate than her. She also sees past Quasimodo appearnce and doesn't treat him like a monster and helps him realize that he is not for himself.

Tim: Good choice. The Hunchback of Notre Dame is one of my favorite movies and I feel that you have explained her character quite well. As you said, she is caring and willing to stand up to Frollo. Which I think scares him as he has never had a woman stand up to him before but Esmeralda isn't going to stand by and watch as Frollo destroys the lives of her people. She may be outspoken but that's good and rare for a woman in her day and age. Excellent choice, Meghan.

Tim: Now it's time for me to reveal my # 1 leading lady of Disney and she is...

1.  Mulan - Mulan




Tim: I went back and forth over which lady to place in the # 1 spot but in the end, I just had to go with Mulan. Out of all the characters on this list, I think she goes through the best character development. Starting out as a young girl unsure of herself but when she pretends to be Ping in the army to protect her father. She really comes into her own and matures quite well. Also as I said she goes into war to protect her father, who is too old to fight. That is showing some true love to your family, if you are willing to risk your life just to protect your family and it's honor. No doubt about it, Mulan has to be my # 1 choice.


Meg: I had a feeling your number one was going to be Mulan and it's a really good choice. I agree that she is an extremely brave and cares a lot for her father and family. Not to mention the fact that she saved an entire country, now that is saying something. What I like about both characters is that they go beyond the "Damsel in Distress" role and save the things they care about. Perhaps that's why I love these movies so much. Thank you for having me and letting me give my take on the character's I grew up with


Tim: Well, there you have it, this rather special Top 6 with guest, Dawn_Heart. Meghan, thank you for joining me on this rather fun Top 6 and it was a joy to work with you. All of your input on these characters was rather interesting both about the characters and yourself. Again, I thank your for taking part in this Top 6 with me.








No comments:

Post a Comment