Take A Look at Disney

1/12/12

Music Fridays # 38: Rent AMV's Revisited



Welcome to a special Music Fridays.  You see back on  Music Fridays # 14,  I took part in the Rainbow Reviewers collab set up by my RU colleague, Arthur Knowledge.   For that I decided to take a look at some AMV's used songs from Rent, my all time favorite musical not produced Disney that used clips from Disney films.  Looking back at this article,  I like it but at the same time, I think it could have been done better.  That's why I have decided to revisit some of these AMV's, though first, I'm going to include some new ones too  & now I won't be revisiting all of the AMV's from the last article but just the ones that really stuck out to me.  Also unlike last time, where I included the original song without the AMV afterwards, I'll just put a link in for each version.  


Christmas Bells   AMV created by WhimsicalChaos



Our first AMV uses the song, Christmas Bells.  One of my favorite songs from the play to listen to especially around Christmas.  Now they don't use the whole song but I can't blame them because this is rather lengthy.  How do I feel about this video? Hmm, it's okay and the usage of this song does work for the most part.  They do match the lyrics with scenes perfectly.  I wouldn't say that there isn't a lot of substance with this video but rather, it feels like it's missing something. Though this is one song that the beginning of the song really doesn't serve a purpose, it's not until the latter portion that we get to the important part of the song. Though for the part of the song that is used, it's decent.  Not my favorite Rent AMV but it's fun.



Without You   AMV created by RedRoseofDeathx




It's hard to describe  this AMV but if I had to choose the right word in describing it, it'd be: somber.  That is the tone of this  song, though, somber and the clips do tie in nicely with the song even if some do feel out of place for this  song but at the same time, it works.  Another way to describe this AMV in my opinion would be beautifully quiet and understated.  Whereas the first one felt like a big production, this one feels like more of a moment and that is a lot of the songs in Rent are, a moment and this AMV is able to capture the feeling of a moment in these peoples' lives wonderfully.


All right now that I've shown you two new ones, it's times to turn my attention to my two favorites from last time.


Will I AMV created by Gemm91




Out of all the AMV's, this is my favorite,  partly because this is my favorite song from Rent but the creator of this AMV was able to take this wonderful song and give it new meaning.  In the original play & film respectively, this is sung by people at the life support meetings talking about living with Aids/HIV and here it was taken and worked to shows these characters at their lowest lows, which is what the people in those meetings may have felt.  Something else though going off the video for a second look at the title of the song, Will I?  I don't know about you but I know I have those words pop up in this head and to me this song is the most relatable because I at times ask myself the questions asked in this song but about my epilepsy. Getting back to the video though,  this video gives me a sense of reassurance and hope that everything'll be okay in the end.  Even if it's not,  take it what's for and as another song  from Rent suggests: There is only today.



Seasons of Love  AMV created by




This AMV is great and not just because Dumbo is in it but because this song works for this video.  I love the mix here. It is very cute and a lot of fun. I mean sure, they just replaced Baby Mine with Seasons of Love but in essence that works for this video because I have always held the belief that Seasons of Love is  not a song about one type of love but all love. Whether it be love from your girlfriend/boyfriend, friends, or family. Which the latter is exemplified here. It's a beautiful video and probably one of the best Rent/Disney AMV's out there.

Join me next time when I take a look at some of my favorite songs to listen that can cheer me up.



No comments:

Post a Comment