Take A Look at Disney

4/27/12

Music Fridays # 50: Favorites of My Friends



Tim: I can't believe it but this is the 50th Music Fridays.  50, wow.  I never even thought Music Fridays would make it to 50.  I knew I had to do something big, a cross over but I wanted to do something like what I did with Music Fridays # 20.  This is an event to big for just two people that's why for the second time, I have invited a group of friends to come on here and talk about their favorite piece of Disney music.   Starting us off is CunningRunt.


Transformation -Beauty and The Beast






CR:    Firstly just want to say a big thankyou to MovieFan12 for inviting people to join in on this blog, and for being flexible with what we’re allowed to choose, because you’ll notice that my personal favourite piece that Disney has produced is not technically a song, but rather a piece of score. It was very difficult to even pick one favourite, as the collection of Disney soundtracks on my ipod grows and grows, but in the end it HAD to be the insanely gorgeous ‘Transformation’ from Beauty and the Beast, courtesy of one of their most beloved composers Alan Menken. There are many reasons that Transformation is my favourite piece of Disney music, but the main one is the emotion packed into this. It starts off intensely tragic, as Belle and the Beast share what they think will be their last moments together. It is, quite simply, heartbreaking, and no matter how many times I listen to it, I always feel my heart drop at the moment when I know the Beast has passed on. But then, in the background, the horn starts playing. After this . . . magic. All out, triumphant fanfare that builds to an incredible crescendo as the Beast turns into a human, and he and Belle share their first kiss. Then of course, we get the softer music of Belle and Beast dancing as a married couple as the servants look on, following into a choral reprise of the titular song ‘Beauty and the Beast’, ending the movie on the masterful note it so richly deserves. This is a piece of music that never fails to give me chills up and down my spine. There’s very little else I can do to describe the awe inspiring glory of Transformation, so I’ll just end with this thought. On the off chance that you ever find yourself wondering what magic would sound like if it existed, look no further than this piece, and pay particular attention to the segment during the enchantment being lifted. You will have your answer.


Tim: Next up is Lindgren and another Beauty and The Beast  song...

Beauty and The Beast



Lindgren: After Howard Ashman died, Alan Menken's score and songs never sounded perfect, yet I cannot find specifically what's missing. This film has special place in my heart. Disney used to be just a relic and a small fragment of my childhood, and my friends and I used to laugh when we hear old Disney sonsg, but then I finally saw it again one day, and my prejudice against Disney (and animation) was broken. Now I marvel at every single thing in this song and the scene is so detailed, elegant, and magnificent. The lyrics and melody tells us the relationship and the magic between Belle and the Beast.

Up next, writrzblok takes us to the Pride Land with his favorite.


Circle of Life




WB:   I choose this as my favorite because of the sheer scope the song entails. It is a sweeping, grand, epic song that practically spells out that we all have a place in this life. Sung beautifully by Sir Elton John, "The Circle Of Life" knows how to lift up downed spirits and I love it for that very reason.

Next up,  DisneyOtoko takes a look at what many consider the anthem of Disney,


Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah!





DO:  "Hello Moviefan12! My favorite Disney song may surprise you. It's not the Kingdom Hearts theme songs. It's not "Part of Your World". It's not even "When You Wish Upon a Star"! It is actually Zip-a-dee-dooh-dah! This song is from the obscure, but excellent Disney film "Song of the South". It's one of my favorite Disney movies and yes I do have it! I've loved this song way before I became a Disney fan. I was so afraid of the bigger rides at the parks when I was young, but when I heard that this song was on Splash Mountain I immediately wanted to go on it! The song was powerful enough to give me the courage to ride Splash Mountain in a time of stupid fears! The song embodies the optimistic nature of what Disney is all about and the song is well written lyrically and musically! It's catchy without being annoying and you just feel so good listening to it. I love the original movie version. James Baskett as Uncle Remus is perfect and he is warm and joyful and that gives a perfect tone to the song!



But as much as I love the movie version I prefer the Splash Mountain version. The reason is because I believe it captures what the song is all about better. Uncle Remus's version is more subdued and laid back and interprets the song as a more content optimism,but I believe that the song should be more energetic and more upbeat to truly capture the "wonderful feeling, wonderful day!" It's a celebration of having a positive attitude and a joyful outlook on life to better cope with the inevitable bad things that happen in life. The Splash Mountain version is a celebration that Brer Rabbit has returned home to the Briar Patch and that he has learned his lesson and matured and that is why this is a Zip-a-dee-doo-dah day! Here's a link to the Splash Mountain version as well as a ridethrough  to experience the attraction again!


Next up Dark Jak gives us a Whale of a Tale with well...

Whale of a Tale




DJ:   From Disney’s classic adaption of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, this is one of those songs that will be stuck in your head for days after hearing it. The song is performed by Kirk Douglas character, Ned Land, during the end of the first act, and is then sampled a number of times throughout the rest of film. With a catchy tune, and some really fun and memorable lyrics, it certainly has become a fun one to sing along with. Unlike a lot of live action films where the songs can feel forced into the movie, this one fits with the tone of the movie and is a perfect match for the character of Ned. It truly is a classic song in every possible way, I swear by my tattoo.


Tim" As always,  I liked to thank all of my guests and well, it's time for me to close out this thing.   I have decided to go with one of my favorite Disney songs from stage instead of cinema.  What I'm about to say may blasphemous to some but I think that the stage version of The Lion King is better than the film and this where my song comes from. From the stage production of The Lion King, I give you...


Endless Night




Tim: This is perhaps one of the most beautiful songs from what I consider Disney's best stage production Granted, I've only seen this and Mary Poppins.  Though I've seen snippets of  Tarzan and Mermaid on YouTube.  Anyways back to the song at hand,  this song brings depth to Simba on whole nee level and explores the hardship of him not having Mufasa around better than I think the movie did.  In this song  you can feel how desperate Simba is,  he's scared because he doesn't know what to do.  Though through the course of the song, Simba realizes what needs to be done and with this song,  you can feel him getting a sense of  reassurance that his father will always be with him.   Also ghost Mufasa in the play is really cool and that's something you need to see for yourself.

6 comments:

  1. great choices everybody! Thanks for having me participate! How's our crossover coming along?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's done and remember it's # 60, so it'll be a while but I'm doing it that way to keep with tradition of having tenth Music Fridays be a cross over.

      Delete
  2. Al right I'll be reviewing the new attractions and shows that I rode during my trip! Expect those up this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a great fan of this section, it was so happy to be part of the 50th Music Fridays, and here's to many more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite Disney song is the same as Walt Disney.

    It's Feed the Birds.

    of all the great Disney songs it's the one that has the most heart and soul. It just says its message softly and quietly without forcing it across. The sign of a great song in and of itself.

    The Sherman Brother's greatest masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly agree and that song is on the next Music Fridays.

      Delete