Take A Look at Disney

5/4/12

Music Fridays # 51: The Sherman Brothers Songbook (My Tribute to Robert Sherman)



On March 5th, 2012 around 10 A.M. ,  I learned of the passing of Robert Sherman.   A man who along with his brother Richard,  wrote the songs for what essentially can be considered the soundtrack of childhood.    I spent the next half-hour crying because I didn't know how else to react to this tragic news.   I knew that I wanted to pay tribute to him somehow but how,  write an article  like I did talking about the death of Roy,  I realized I couldn't do that and that the best way for me to pay tribute and honor his memory would be through his music.  Now it is true that I did do an early Music Fridays showcasing the works of his brother but here instead,  I want the music to speak for itself.   These are the songs that they wrote that touched me the most.  Now you may see one non-Disney song pop up but I feel that it's fitting for this tribute.  Now many of these songs have appeared on A Look at Disney in the past but these are the ones that mean the most to me and I do apologize for getting this out so late but be aware that I do write my articles in advance and that it was worked on the week of Mr. Sherman's death.   


It Changes




It just felt right to open with this song.    I truly believe it to be one of the saddest songs that I've heard. I'm sorry, I'm losing myself right now. Breathe, focus.    This song is such a beautiful yet somber piece and we really get into Charlie Brown's head  and learn that to him the world will not be the same with Snoopy.   I'm sure many of us have felt this way when we had to say goodbye to someone.   I've lost three of my grandparents and that was hard this song reminds me how much I'll miss them but so long as I remember them, they'll never be gone as long as I remember them.   Perhaps the most touching lyric in  this song is when  Charlie Brown says the line "I need more Hellos".


Your Heart Will Lead You Home 






Out of all the songs that The Sherman Brothers penned, this is perhaps the most personal for me.  While I love this song, there are painful memories attached to it. As you see during the time this film came out,  my sister was going through a phase and decided to leave.  It was a hard time and I can't help but think of that time in my life when I listen to that song. This song during that time was my comfort, it always made me feel better.  Let's not speak of those tragic memories anymore.  This is such a beautiful song and if you watch The Boys: The Sherman Brothers Story, you get to see Kenny Loggins work with Richard and Robert Sherman writing this song, which is rather cool.    I've always loved this film and this song, it's just simply perfect.  This is one of those songs that just like Baby Mine makes weep but I'm glad it does.  This is in my opinion the best song to come from a film involving Pooh and friends.


Feed The Birds




Oh,  this song, this song.  I love this song. Fun fact for ya, this was Walt's favorite song and after The Shermans played it for him, he was quoted as saying something along the lines of "That's what it's all about".   This song is just so simple and reminds to be to kind to your fellow man.  Julie Andrews gives a stellar performance here and going back to Walt for a second, in the studio he what he referred to as The Laughing Place,  his room to relieve stress and in there was a piano and sometimes when The Shermans were in there with him,  he'd tell them "Play it!" and they both knew that he was referring to this song and I can't recall which but I remember reading that one of the brothers would go into The Laughing Place and play the song even after Walt died.    I love this song and I just think that it is the best Mary Poppins song.  I know people have differing opinions on that but this one really lets Mary shine and I'm of the mind that prefers simple songs.


On The Front Porch






This next song comes from the lesser known,  Summer Magic.  Now I'll admit that I've yet to see Summer Magic but this song sung wonderfully by Burl Ives is very cute.  It's just a simple and cute love song.   There's nothing wrong with being cute.   I think that works for this song and makes it an enjoyable listen. Now another reason that I included this in my tribute is because it was Robert's favorite song that they worked on and it felt right to touch upon the man's favorite song.



There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow




What better way to close this out then with a video of The Sherman Brothers playing easily one of the best Park songs.  I love this song because it is so full of hope for the future and I'm optimist that likes to believe that things will only get better.  Also how cool is it to see The Sherman Brothers and Walt together?   Pretty darn awesome if you ask me.




I hope that you've enjoyed my special tribute. Join me next week as I take a look at the music of..


One Saturday Morning



No comments:

Post a Comment