Take A Look at Disney

1/23/14

A Look at Disney Mermaid Music Fridays # 118: Part of Your World (with DisneyOtoko)




Moviefan12: Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney and back to Music Fridays. Today, I am once again going to dive Under The Sea to take a look at various versions of a popular song from The Little Mermaid, Part of Your World. Joining me will be, fellow Disney fan and blogger, and a big time Mermaid fan, DisneyOtoko.

DO: Thank you for having me Moviefan12. As any who have read my articles know this song is very special to me. I judge other covers of this song very harshly and grant praise to those that have truly paid respect to this song.

Moviefan12:  100% understand as I do same with Baby Mine.  Anyways,  today,  we are going to look at the original, the reprise,  the stage version,  and  4 covers, and an instrumental.  Now let's begin.



Part of Your World  - Original  



Moviefan12:  What can one say about this song, that hasn't been said?  This may be the greatest "I Want" song.  It's  just that good and  to think that this song was almost cut because during testing, kids found it boring.  Well,  I'm glad it wasn't cut because this song is a staple of classic Disney.  It's lets us into who Ariel is and I truly do believe that that this film wouldn't have felt the same, had this number been axed.   


DO: This is truly an amazing scene! It's to me a perfect scene. Not only is the song itself perfect, but the scene that accompanies it completes the package. Every gesture, every facial expression adds layers of subtly and nuance of the scene, the song and Ariel's character. Jodi Benson's vocals are perfect and Glen Keane's animation is perfect! Alan Menken and Howard Ashman's best song!


Moviefan12:  I LOVE those reactions!  Anyways,  let's next move onto the reprise.  


Part of Your World - Reprise 




Moviefan12:  If you know me,  you know that I love a good reprise and this one certainly fits that bill  and  I'm sorry but how can you not love this number.  It brings everything that is so great about the first number front and center.  And lest we forget, it has one of the most iconic shots from this film.














Gah,   I just love this moment.  This moment, right here, if I were to do a Top 6 Ariel Moments would most likely land in the the Top 3,  if not at # 1.   It  is just a great shot.    



DO: I actually like the reprise better than the original number if that's even possible. It was in this moment when I saw the reprise as a 12 year old I altered the lyrics in my head and I had found my true caling. I wanted to be a part of Disney's world so to speak. The reprise is also in my opinion one of the most magical moments in the history of Disney!


Moviefan12:   I actually agree with you,  this along with the reprise for Mother Knows Best and the reprise for One Jump Ahead to me, at least stand out more.  And you are so right about this being one of the most magical Disney moments.  Now we dive on over to Broadway to see how  Sierra Boggess  as Ariel handled the song.


Part of Your World  -  Broadway Cast Recording




Moviefan12:  Now,  this isn't  the first time  I've covered this version as back during the 70th Music Fridays with former Expressionist, Jason  (My  L.S.B.F.F)  and I talked about this version.  She mentioned that the actress playing Ariel was one of her favorite theater actresses and while Sierra Boggess does a fine job,   I don't  know.  Something just feels off about this version.  It's not bad but I feel like the energy from the original  is missing.  I like it for what it is but it just falls short.   


DO: While I do agree that it doesn't have the energy of the original that goes without saying because this isn't the original. I know I said I'd judge the covers harshly, but not that harshly. For the stage it is very good, but yes doesn't approach the original. Well there is one cover that comes very close to the original, but I'll talk about that later.



Moviefan12:  Fair enough,  I was just taken aback.  Now let's move onto  another cover that I recently discovered, when I purchased the soundtrack.


Part of Your World - Jessica Simpson





Moviefan12:  Let me make this clear,  I do not hate Jessica Simpson  nor  her sister, Ashlee (I had a crush on Ashlee)  and she does a serviceable job with this cover.  The  catchphrase for Disney Mania  is Superstar Artists (stretching that term)  Sing Disney Their Way.  And  I at first wanted to deride this cover because there are parts, where it doesn't work and it to me seems as though Jessica actually forgot part of the song but  I like it for what it is and honestly,  compared to Raven's  cover of Under The Sea,  I'll take this.   



DO: It's an okay cover. Not god awful, but not great either. There are much better versions out there so I would recommend you skip this one.


Moviefan12:  Fair enough,  our next cover is one that I grew up with and you'll see what I see what I mean in a moment.


Part of Your World - Faith Hill




Moviefan12:  Admittedly,  I'm biased as I grew up with this cassette tape  and wore it out.  This album was one of the first things,  I purchased off Itunes,  so  I could relive those memories of listening to this tape.  And while  I do have much nostalgia for Faith Hill's cover,  I do agree with the complaint that Faith may sound a little too old for this particular song but I can't help it.  The little kid in me that grew up listening to Country Music and more importantly this cassette tape will always have a special place in my heart for this cover.   It's  not the best cover from this compilation.  That honor would  be a tie between Someday  and Baby Mine sung by Alison Kraus but  I can't be too hard on this one because  I'd be stomping on my childhood.   



DO: When I first read this pick I shook my head and just said "No!!!" A country version of this "give me a break", but after I listened to it I was actually surprised. I do agree that Faith Hill back then was a little too old for this song, but she has the lungs for it and the arrangement has its own unique spin that isn't too country and not defined by the original while not diminishing the original. It's its own thing and that's fine with me.


Moviefan12: Now,  our next cover is one that you brought to my attention, DisneyOtoko.  I had not heard it before but I'm always excited to listen to new covers. 



Part of Your World - Traci  Hines




Moviefan12:  I'll  give Traci  Hines,  this.  She's  puts her all into  this  (and did I see a Rapunzel video.  Makes note to watch that later).  The detail and dedication that she puts into this one video is enough to convince me to check  out her other work.  Now,  I'll admit that for some, her voice may be an acquired taste but I like it and more importantly,  I am impressed by the hard work she put in to re-creating the moment, the outfits, and the dresses.   Bravo!  Also, the shots at Eric's castle in this video are just breathtaking.   Thank you for suggesting this one.  


DO: I've been following Traci Hines's YouTube videos for awhile and I love her voice. I bought some of her original songs and yes I suggested her for this crossover to promote her because stuff like this is amazing! The effort put forward by everyone involved is wonderful! The cover is a loving tribute to the original, but again isn't too similar and manages to be its own thing! As a fellow Little Mermaid fan I've seen the music video a million times I'm sure I'll see it a million more!


Moviefan12:  Now the next one,  I wish to go over  is  not as serious as these other ones but it's still pretty cute.


Part of Your World - Life of Dad




Moviefan12:  These guys may not be the best singers and they know that.  But  that's not why they are doing this.  They are singing this for their kids.   I was first linked to this version by my mom on Facebook because one of the dads is a Marine.  And honestly,  the thought of these big tough guys singing a Disney song for their kids to me is adorable.  And while  I may not be a dad,  I love that they did this and I can tell you that I'd do the same thing for the two best kids in my world,  my little nephew and niece.   Who,  I both love dearly and would do anything for.   That ending, where the dad sings it again because his little girl wants him  to is just touching.   



DO: This is pretty critic proof. There's no way you can criticize this without being a complete asshole. This is a very sweet and touching video. It speaks for itself so go watch it!


Moviefan12:  That's kinda why I included it because it's  just so sweet.  For those interested,  they've also done a video for A Whole New World, that is just as good.  Now, we will be closing this out with  an instrumental piece from Disney's Fairy Tale Wedding collection.




Part of Your World  - Instrumental  



Moviefan12:  I really like this version.  I'm usually not too big on instrumental pieces but this one does it right.  It still sounds like Part of Your World, while at the same time, sounding more mature.  If that makes any sense.  This instrumental  piece has more of an adult flair to it and that works in it's favor.  Though if I do have complaint with compilation,   I question some of the inclusions as love songs.  I can kinda see this one but they're really stretching it by saying Endless Night from The Lion King (Broadway) is a love song. Mind you,  this is not a bad version of Part of Your World.  I just never thought of it as a love song.    

DO: I never considered it a love song too, but I say in this case don't bite the hand that feeds you! I love this! This is probably one of my all time favorite versions of the song next to the original, reprise and Traci Hines. The more adult flair complements the song instead of takes away from it. The arrangement is wonderful and I love listening to it!


Moviefan12:  And thus ends our look at the various covers of Part of Your World.  DisneyOtoko, thank you for joining me on this special Music Fridays.  It was an honor to work with you on this cross over as always.


DO: Thanks for having me be a "Part of Your World" for this crossover. I know that's a terrible pun but I don't care!

Moviefan12:  It was my pleasure to dive "Under The Sea" with you to look at this song and the different versions. Peace!

2 comments:

  1. What, no mention of the slowed down, barely within pace of the original God awful monstrosity I had to listen to every night whilst working The Little Mermaid ride at Disney World :P

    I mean they took these classic songs and re-worked them so they were slower than the original and it just sounded it awful. It's something Disney parks do to pad out the soundtrack, the slow it down and destroy the rhythm.

    No I don't hate mermaid music after hearing it daily for weeks on end, what gave you that idea :P

    ReplyDelete