Take A Look at Disney

4/23/11

Can We Talk about Magic Kingdom Gay Days

Well as  you know I have started my first collab, the Can We Talk about collab and here is my entry for the collab.

Now in the first Can We Talk about, I said I would talk about things in the realm of Disney that bug me. Today's topic is a bit different as it doesn't bug me but rather intrigues me.This event I'll be talking about is known as Gay Days. This is an event that takes place at the Magic Kingdom from what I can gather around the first week of June. Believe it or not, I had  never heard of this event until I was in a library in Key Largo and there I picked up an issue of Time. In there was a letter to the editor thanking them for running a story about Gay Days.  I will try  my best to give my opinion and shed some on light on this event.  However being a straight male who has never attended such an event this may not be the best article but I'll still try.


I'm sorry to say that I don't know when this event first started but according to some research there have been 1500 LGBT that attend this event and that was back in '09. Again that is when I first learned of this event and from the looks of it. It appears as though it is still going. My take on this idea is that I think is it is great. To me this shows that Disney is willing to help all guests to have the best time possible at their parks. To me, this events seems to me as though Disney is telling people of the LGBT community that its okay to be who you are. I like seeing that.

Now this event has been protested by some family groups who say it is offensive to run this event during normal park hours. I'd like to ask these people why is it so offensive that people who are gay  are being open about their love while the typical American family of Mom, Dad and little Suzie are at the park? Hmm. To me this seems  as though people who are protesting this event want the parks to have segreated hours to people who are gay and the typical American family. I just find that sad. This is something that angers me if a man and woman can share thier love while on vaction there why can't a gay or lesbian couple. I don't think anyone should stop them.  This takes me to another issue that I have  why is it when a man and a woman tie the knot, it is a marriage but when two people of the same sex want to it is demeaned by some to being a partnership. Why can't we just call it a marriage? Sorry, I'll step off my soapbox now.

As I said before I like this idea and as I said earlier, I think this shows that Disney is willing to help all guests to have a good time. Now some may ask isn't this event sending mixed messages that same sex couples can only show affection on one day of the year at the park. I don't think so but I could see how some may think that. What's your take on this? Is it a good idea or a bad idea? Tell me in the comments. Also if  any of you guys find more info on this put a  link  to it in the comments as I want to write a follow up but that won't be for a while. It can be either for or against but also let me know what your thoughts on this event and how you feel the articles you wish to link portray Gay Days.

Here are some links I  found that go into pretty good detail about Gay Days.

Magic Kingdom To Celebrate Gay Day on June 4


Also here is a link that the picture is from. It is from an article at Time.com

How Gays Days made a Home at Disney World

No comments:

Post a Comment