Take A Look at Disney

7/12/11

Return of The Requests: Robin Hood

Welcome to our next Request and this one comes to us from A Look at Disney regular, BigBlackHatMan. The film that I'll be looking at today is....






The Plot

All right, I think we all know the main plot of this film It's based on the tale of Robin Hood, who stole from the rich and gave to the poor but instead of humans, the fin citizens of Sherwood Forest and Nottingham were shown as animals. In the same vein of TaleSpin ans they are animals with human-like qualities about them.


Characters

As always, I will be always be breaking this down into Important Characters and Supporting Characters.


Important Characters


Robin Hood voiced by Brian Bedford




All right, this here is one awesome character.  He is heroic, a great shot with a bow He is kind-hearted and wants to help the needy. Robin Hood is most certainly one of the great Disney heroes. He has all the makings of one and as I said, he is just so much fun.  I mean he doesn't care what the authorities think about him as he wants to take them down. Now, I couldn't talk about Robin Hood without bringing up his disguises.   I think these are two of the most famous examples,




Why do I bring these up? Well, because Robin Hood uses these costumes to his advantages to get what he wants and needs.  The thing I find funny is that people can never tell that it's Robin Hood in these costumes. I really think the costumes add another layer of fun to this character. Now, if I were to pick my favorite costume, it would be the Blind Man costume. Let's not forget though the costume doesn't make the character. Rather, it's how well the character sells the portrayal and I think Robin Hood does that well. And unlike another character who uses costumes, who shall remain nameless, Ernest  There is actually a point to his costumes.

Maid Marian voiced by Monica Evans




Maid Marian is the niece of King Richard but on which side of the family is not known.  Before the film,  Maid Marian left to go to London but it is never stated why.  Her and Robin Hood were old flames and they grew up together.  In her heart, she still carries a torch for Robin Hood.  Marian is a very kind and ladylike person and cares for the people unlike Prince John.

Alan-a-Dale voiced by Roger Miller




Now, some of you may be wondering why I'm including Alan-a-Dale under the Important Characters. Well because of one important aspect.  You see, he was the narrator of this film.  Unlike other narrators though he is a seen narrator and he actually interacts with the characters. While still keeping his distance to be able to tell the story. Even though he is the narrator, he is not immune to the events that take place in the story as he too is arrested for not being able to pay the high taxes which leads into a very somber and beautiful song.


Supporting Characters


Little John voiced by Phil Harris



Little John is the sidekick and best friend of Robin Hood.  Unlike Robin Hood, though he is much more cautious and thinks things through.  Though doesn't mean he isn't willing to take risks such as when he stands up for Robin Hood when Robin is sent to be put to death. Like Robin Hood, he is also known for using disguises one of his more noticeable costumes was when he dressed up as the Sheriff  of Nottingham. 


Friar Tuck voiced by Andy Devine



Friar Tuck is one of Robin Hood's many Merry Men.  Though he still lives in town and serves as Robin Hood's connection to the outside world. He too cares for people and will not turn people away if they come to his church but he does one downfall that can cause to get into trouble. The fact of the matter is that while his heart is in the right place he is a bit short-tempered. As shown when he tries to lecture the Sheriff about taking gold for tax money.


Skippy voiced by Billy Whittaker



Skippy idolizes Robin Hood and thinks Robin can do no wrong. He wants to be like Robin Hood when he grows up. Now, some people might say that a character like this is just an annoying child sidekick and while I can see where they are coming from a little bit, I'd like to counter, didn't we all have childhood heroes that that we thought "I wanna be like him or her when I was older". I'm just saying that I think this character was a nice idea and perhaps some people might see him as annoying but I don't.


Music

Now this one  area, where the film is a but underrated, because honestly most of the songs aren't as well known when compared to other Disney songs. Though, I will be talking about three songs from this film that I think are timeless.

Oo-de-lally



This song right here is just a lot of fun and it allows Roger Miller to showcase his talent and it is basically a song about friendship and how, Robin Hood and Little John are just having fun spending time with one another. I will also say that this along with Not In Nottingham shows Roger Miller's range when it comes to being able to sing different types of songs as this one is rather upbeat while Not In Nottingham is rather somber but he is able to sell them both quite well.

Love



Now admittedly, it has been a while since I heard this song but it is rather relaxing and peaceful.  It's just simple and beautiful. Talking about how love lives on, so long as you know the person you love, loves you back. It also talks about how those feelings change the person and came make them feel different. All in all, good song.


Not In Nottingham





As I said, when talking about Alan-a-Dale, he sings quite a somber and beautiful song. That being, Not In Nottingham.  In this song, shows how everything has gone downhill because of Prince John's tyranny.  Now while the song may be on the short side, it still works to show how the town has lost all hope and they don't see a future with the way things are going at this rate.

The Phony King of England




This song is so much fun and it is nice to see to the townspeople getting to have fun and making fun of the Prince. This is one of those song that you can't help but have fun with especially with Friar Tuck's Prince John puppet.  I would also say that this is a villain song in the same of Cruella de Vil as it has people singing about the bad guy and how they feel about the character as the Cruella de Vil song was done in the same manner.


Villains


The Sheriff of Nottingham voiced by Pat Buttram





The Sheriff is one of the main baddies and he is hated by the townspeople. As he always comes to collect taxes when he knows they are poor and have no money to give. But he doesn't care, he is ruthless and cold-hearted and will do anything to get the money even going so far as to use some dirty tricks.  In my mind, out of all three of the main baddies, I always found him the most threatening because he always puts up a fight and there is also the fact that he has a bunch of rhinos under his command.  Also, his voice is something that I have always enjoyed as I find it rather funny and it seems to have a bit of a Southern drawl to it.  This clip will you show you what I mean about the voice and his fighting, even if he is a little clumsy. In some ways his voice reminds me of Jaffers from Suburban Knights. (Couldn't resist making a TGWTG reference)







Sir Hiss voiced by  Terry-Thomas



Sir Hiss is the advisor to Prince John and in a way he serves as Prince John's punching bag as he is always the victim of Prince John's temper-tanturms.  But he also plays a bigger role as he  hypnotizes King Richard to leave and go on his crusades.  Now, many people myself included  compare this character to Kaa from The Jungle Book and it's not hard to see why. To be honest, I used to think that Sir Hiss and Kaa were one in the same but after many years and some research I  realized that they aren't the same character.


Prince John voiced by Peter Ustinov




Don't let that picture fool you. Prince John is a wimp. He hates his older brother, Richard and seems to have a love/hate relationship with his mother, who he feels that loved Richard more.  Though funnily enough,  the only way Sir Hiss is able to calm him down out of his temper-tanturms is by reminding the prince of his mother.  Prince John is a character  that thinks he can rule and while on the outside he may look like an adult, he hasn't grown up and still acts like a child.   He was also a massive thumb-sucker as seen in this picture.






My Final Thoughts

This is a fun movie and I highly suggest that if you haven't seen this one. Seek it out and it won't dissappoint. Also this is just my belief but this Robin Hood could beat Russell Crowe in a fight any day. Sorry, just had to say that. 

So we end, the Return of The Requests.  Now I know that Gomu69 requested Cars and The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh. I do apologize for not getting to those but don't fret as the Cars review will come out when I do Automobile Month and as for Pooh Bear, I couldn't find a way to review that film with my style as that film doesn't have a connecting plot.  Though, don't worry Pooh will appear on a A Look at Disney in 2 weeks when I do a special Music Fridays.

I'd like to thank everyone that made a request because you guys made this really fun and sadly, we have come to a close but these were as I said a blast to write for you guys. So, no clue today.



1 comment:

  1. What? The Sheriff doesn't have Rhino guards in his command, it's Prince John who have, and, I know he's evil and all, but he's following Prince John's orders, I don't think he's the most threatening and evil.

    ReplyDelete