Take A Look at Disney

10/12/11

Classic Shorts Showcase: Paul Bunyan

Hello and welcome to another edition of Classic Shorts Showcase.   Join me today as I go back to looking at American folklore once more. As I take a look at giant of a man and his Ox,  as I review Paul Bunyan.



The Plot


The plot is rather simple as we just follow the life of Paul Bunyan from when he was young babe to adulthood and see how he works his double blade ax.   Everywhere Paul goes people love him because he is just so helpful and friendly.   The short is broken into three different stories that are all connected because of Paul starting with when he washed up on shore in a small town as a baby.  To competing against Joe Muffaw and his steam saw.




Narration


The narration was done differently in this short as there was no one who acted as the main narrator because each time, Paul would go on to a different location. We got a new narrator and I liked this touch. I don't know it just felt as though these people were remembering this mammoth of a man came to their town and how he helped them out of their jams.   It was a nice touch but I don't think that it would work in any other short.


Characters




I'll just be breaking this down into Main & Rival.  Let's begin.


Main Characters




Paul Bunyan voiced by Thurl Ravenscroft











Our main character, Paul is an all around nice guy and willing to help anyone that he sees.  Now this was odd but during the early part of the short when Paul was a kid, he didn't talk.  It wasn't until he left the small town that raised him that we finally heard him talk and boy  did his voice work out quite well.  Paul was just a fun character.  Hard working, good ol' boy willing to help and I think that is what makes him great.



Babe - Unlisted












Babe was Paul's pet Ox.  Babe was a fun character and just like Paul he was a hard worker but he knew how to have fun.  Babe kept Paul company while he was travelling and they just had fun palling around doing stuff like rough housing.  Babe while a fun character was a simple character but that seems to be the general feeling for majority of these characters in this short but it works in their favor.



Music




Paul Bunyan (Hey, Paul)





Now, I know that I'm including half of the short but is the only the way that I could get the song on here. This song play throughout the entire short and it is so much fun and just so cheerful. It is just one of those songs that I can listen to and it puts me in a good mood. This also goes to show that the Disney shorts had some great music in them. Yet, nobody seems to talk about the music from the shorts. Hmm, that gives me an idea for a Music Fridays. Anyways back on topic, I just the way this song sounds with the people calling out Paul's name. Again, it is just a fun song.


Rival


Joe Muffaw - Unlisted











Is is just me or does anyone find it funny how Paul towers over Joe Muffaw?  Anyways, this short doesn't have a true villain because Joe Muffaw is more of a rival and threat to how Paul works with ax.  Joe believes that his steam saw is the way of the future and that it's the best way to cut timber.  Paul doesn't think so and the two duel it out to see who can cut more timber. In the end, Joe wins but Paul isn't too heartbroken over it. He just moves on from this. I like this because while Paul was a good man, this was real because you won't always win and really this  was played very well as it came off as saying "Even if you try, someone else may win. It's just another stepping stone in life".  That may sound corny and like something you'd see on a throw pillow but I believe that.  Though that would be a heck of a depressing throw pillow looking back.




My Final Thoughts


Growing up, this was one of my favorites and I even wrote a paper on it for my fourth grade class.  Don't recall what grade I got but moving on, this short does hold up. All of the characters including Joe are likable and that song is just so darn catchy.  I highly suggest you track down this short if you want to have a good time. Of course, this could just be nostalgia as this is a childhood favorite but even on it's own, it is fun to watch.


Now Classic Shorts Showcase will be going on a one week hiatus for Halloween but it'll resume with a Haunting Shorts Showcase when I review....


The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

No comments:

Post a Comment