Take A Look at Disney

10/14/11

Halloween: Top 6 Male Villains



Our Halloween celebration has begun.   I have decided to open with a countdown of my Top 6 favorite Villains. Though I realized that there are too many villains for just one list and just doing a villain countdown has become cliche.  Therefore I have decided to turn this into two lists.  To have some fun, over the next two days, I'll be counting down my Top 6 Favorite Male Villains and then tomorrow, I'll be counting my Top 6 Female Villains.   Let the list commence.  



First up is....


Eisner 



Just kidding, just kidding. But you will have your day, Eisner but not now.  Instead I will focus on the truly great Villains of Disney.   



6.  The Phantom Blot







This is a villain that is a classic and I like him but unlike the rest, he actually first appeared in a Mickey Mouse comic strip but he would later go on to appear in many mediums such as TV and games. Now when I first learned of this villain, it was during a short based off of his debut in the Mickey Mouse comic strip and I had never heard of this villain before but he is so much fun and there is a lot of mystery surrounding hims basically with his identity.  Next to Pete, he is Mickey's greatest foe but he can be viewed as a bigger threat.  He would go on to become a recurring villain on House of Mouse. He even had one episode based around him where he started stealing things and the gang were trying to figure out who he really was. He tampered with the machine that gave them this info and at one the police believed Mickey  to be The Phantom Blot. He almost had Mickey arrested. Now  as I said he also appears in other medium such as games like Epic Mickey. That is partially true because while yes, the villain of the game is based off of the Blot, they look completely different from one another and they even have different names.  In Epic  Mickey, he looks like this....




Pretty freaky looking, isn't he?  Also as  I said in Epic Mickey, he is not called The Phantom Blot but rather The Shadow Blot and in the game Mickey is the one who created him.  As good of a villain as I think he is, I only placed him at # 6 because outside of Epic Mickey and House of Mouse, he is relatively unknown.





5.  Stromboli & The Coachman - Pinocchio


 




Now as I have stated in the past, Pinocchio is a film that I cannot sit through because it scares me way too much but I do have to give credit, where credit is due in saying the villains were quite scary especially  Stromboli and The Coachman.  Now I know Monstro was the other villain of this film but I consider him to be a force of nature compared to Stromboli and The Coachman, who are just purely evil.   They really have no heart or soul to them.   They are both fiendish and cunning.  They are both very sly as well. I think they are some of the most frightening villains too because of how realistic they are with their actions such as with Stromboli kidnapping Pinocchio and using him for profit.



4.  Dr. Facilier -  The Princess and The Frog

















Facilier is just awesome. If there is one thing that I think helps  him to stand out from the other villains on this list is his demeanor.  While like Stromboli and The Coachman, he is cunning he goes about his actions in a way that do not appear to be so blatantly obvious or ruthless at  the beginning. of the film.  Throughout most of the film, Facilier is okay about keeping his temper in check but he does have his moments of anxiety and as pointed out to me by Fusionater,  his shadow represents his true feelings.  In a way, he is masking his feeling while his shadow shows the truth.   Plus he has one of my favorite villain songs and he is just suave and charming.  It's hard not to like this character even if he is evil.  He just seems like a type of guy that you could have fun with hanging out at the bar and sharing stories.   Save for that whole evil thing.



3.   Gaston - Beauty and The Beast












As I have stated in my Beauty and The Beast review,  Gaston is a great villain because of how he goes from being just a conceited  bully to a monster throughout the entire film.  The way the film drops clues as to Gaston's transformation are great and fun to pick up on.  Gaston wasn't likable to start with but it wasn't until Belle rejected him for Beast that he really became a monster in his own right. The scary part about Gaston is that besides the fact that he was able to convince the entire village to storm the castle, he probably thought he was doing was justified and right. So in  a way, he has something in common with the next villain on this list.


2.  Frollo - The Hunchback of Notre Dame


















The Hunchback of Notre Dame is one of my all time favorite Disney film and I think Frollo is one of the best Disney villains but he is so unique compared to the others. While most want money or power, he doesn't want money and he doesn't need power.  As he is already in a position of  power.  He is just so vile with the way he talks to Quasimodo and demeans him by calling him a monster.  Again,  Frollo thought his actions were justified and the right thing to do to protect the city. That is just the way his twisted mind worked. He felt that he had to get rid of the gypsies in order to make the city a safer place.  Also he is one of the few villains that you see have an inner struggle and conflict with his actions as seen during Hellfire.   I think the moment that really sold Frollo for me though was when I saw him throw a torch into someone's house.  Again another reason he is so frightening is because people like him once existed and to an extent probably still do.  People like him try to claim their actions were in the name of the lord and they think that should let them get off scott free.  It shouldn't.


And my pick for # 1 Disney Male Villain is...

1. Pete















Odd choice I know but as I have stated in the past, Pete is my favorite Disney villain.  Just as with Hook, he's another comedic villain and he is so funny but he does try.  Now true in recent years, he hasn't been seen as a villain to much and as much as I would like to pint that Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, I have to say that it kind of started with Goof Troop, where Pete lost his villainy.  So it was still there somewhat with him being a used cars salesman who was very cheap. But if handled correctly, Pete can still make for an awesome bad guy. Take for example, The Prince and The Pauper, he was a great villain or another instance, Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers.      Once again that showed how Pete should be as a villain. In one sense I think while Pete's obvious villain side died down in Goof Troop, it really came back into play during House of Mouse. Sure, it was always the same thing with him trying to get the club shut down but at least went about it in a manner that was not only fun to watch but felt evil Well save for the time, he dressed up as Snow White. That was weird.  In the end, he had to be my number one pick.  Now I know I said that The Phantom Blot is a bigger threat than Pete to Mickey and the gang but Pete has been going after Mickey longer. So he wins out in that area.


Now I know some classics like Scar and Jafar didn't make this list but they came close. This wasn't easy.  I had to think long and hard about which bad guys that I wanted to include. Join me next time when the ladies of evil get their due as I countdown my Top 6 Female Villains.


Now on a sidenote.  please help wishing a happy birthday to not but two fellow bloggers.

Fusionater & Dawn_Heart.















Happy Birthday, you two and this calls for a Disney song.



No comments:

Post a Comment