Take A Look at Disney

11/13/11

Happy Birthday Mickey (Top 6 Mickey Moments)





It has come to my attention that this month is the month of Mickey's birthday.  Which apparently took the company years to decide what month it was?   Until finally, they settled on November which makes sense.   Now I know it's isn't polite to ask one how old they are,  but according to everything that I have read, Mickey turns 83.  This lovable little mouse first appeared in Steamboat Willie but you all know that and I have talked about that before when I talked about Mickey. How does one go about celebrating the birthday of one of the greatest cartoon character ever! Well, first we need a song.





Now does one go about celebrating Mickey's birthday? The best way I know how, a Top 6 Mickey Moments. Let's begin.


6.   Getting a Star on The Walk of Fame


Mickey was the very first cartoon character to ever receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and since then many other great Disney characters such Pooh Bear and Tink have gotten their own stars.   Still knowing that Mickey was the first is pretty cool.  To me this is a sign that fictional characters can be just as deserving as actors/actresses to get their own star. Of course people have to raise money to get the star but no matter this star to me represents all of Mickey's fans and why he is an Icon.




5. Appearing Alongside Bugs Bunny in Who Framed Roger Rabbit


  


This is one of the coolest scenes from this movie. It may be nothing more than a short cameo  but my oh my is is ever awesome.   I mean actually getting to see Mickey & Bugs share the screen is just priceless. This scene still gets me excited, where are else are you going to see your favorite cartoon characters come together...


Besides That!



It is surprising how well Mickey and Bugs work off of each other but seeing as Eddie is pretty much the comic foil in this scene,  it isn't too surprising.  This scene is just awesome to watch.   







4.  The Band Concert



The Band Concert is my favorite Mickey short and the one that instantly got me hooked as a Mickey fan.  It is just so much fun to watch this short and see Mickey try to keep the concert going as Donald tries to join in.  I always find myself laughing out loud at this short especially when it comes to the hurricane sequence.   That  in my opinion is one of the funniest Disney moments ever.  



And I  just love how serious and stoned faced Mickey is with all of this mayhem going on around him.  It is just so funny.  This short in a way was my gateway to other Mickey shorts thanks to the VHS collection, The Spirit of Mickey.   Now as much as I love this short, I only placed it a 4 because there are some other Mickey moments that have stuck around with me much longer.   Oh, how could I forget? This was the first Mickey short to be presented in Technicolor. 



3.  As Bob Crachit in Mickey's  in Mickey's Christmas Carol



When Disney made their version of Mickey's Christmas Carol, they could not have picked a better character to portray Crachit.  A Christmas Carol is my favorite Christmas story and I enjoy most versions of the story and it should be no surprise that this was the first version of a Christmas Carol that I saw.  The casting Mickey as Bob Crachit was a beautiful  move because both characters are good-hearted people that only want the best  for others around them.  I mean would you want to see Donald as Crachit? I don't think so.  Mickey's portrayal of Crachit  is just so heartfelt.  As much as I love his Crachit, it not my favorite portrayal but he does a  darn good job. In case your wondering my favorite portrayal of Crachit is Kermit The Frog in Muppet's Christmas Carol but Mickey comes in at a close second.  


2.  Steamboat Willie




Now there is no way that I could leave this off of the list. It wouldn't feel right. This is the short that Mickey made his debut in. This short is just so amazing and to think that it still holds up today. In fact it is better than some of the current shows on right now.  It may be a simple short with a thin plot but still it is so much fun to watch and really I get excited each time I see this image because it just reminds me of where the company came from and what they are capable of. Speaking of which...


1.  The Sorcerer's Apprentice




Out of everything that Mickey has appeared in,  this is one of the most amazing things. And to think, Walt didn't want to use Mickey for this at first. No, you see originally Dopey was meant to be the Apprentice.  Can I say that I'm glad that he went with Mickey instead?   Needless to say that this is my favorite segment from Fantasia.  With this segment Mickey's mischievous side is greatly explored.   But c'mon he was tempted with that magical hat and can you blame him?  Now unlike The Band Concert, where Mickey is pretty serious.  He is just having fun and breaking the rules. This  is such a cute short and proves to me that Mickey can hold his own in a film.  Out of all the segments from both Fantasia and Fantasia 2000, I could re watch this one the most.



There you have it  my Top 6 Mickey Moments. This little Mouse certainly has some staying power. So please join me in celebrating his birthday. What are some of your favorite Mickey moments?  I think I don't have to tell you that this was the most difficult Top 6 that I have ever done.  Seeing as there are just too many great Mickey Moments to choose from.   The best way to close this out is with this great video I found showing Mickey through the years and to remember what Walt once said

I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing--that it was all started by a mouse.


No comments:

Post a Comment