Take A Look at Disney

11/14/11

The Lone Chipmunks (BigBlackHatMan's Anniversary Speical Pt. 1)

 I know your One Year Anniversary is coming up BBHM  but I couldn't decide what to cover so I have decided to write up two articles for ya.  One review and a Top 6.  The review as you can see is going up today.  This is a short that I have been wanting to tackle for quite some time.  As we all know many Disney characters have starred in their own solo series of shorts but would you believe that Chip 'n' Dale did not get their own solos until around the '50s and during that time they only headlined three shorts.   This is one of them.   The Lone Chipmunks.  This short is unique in that Chip 'n' Dale are usually the foils for either Donald or Pluto but this time they face off against my favorite Disney villain,  Pete.  Hard to believe that this is one of if not the only time they faced off against Pete.


The Plot


The plot is pretty simple, Black Pete (the variation we're dealing with today) has just robbed a bank in a small western town.  He rides off with the loot and hides it in the tree where Chip 'n' Dale. Before that however a WANTED poster  with his mug is placed on the hole that leads into their house.  When blindly walking out, Chip walks through the poster to gather acorns and then Dale sticks his head through which causes Chip to think that Dale is the thief.  Once they learn the truth however they want to try and get the  reward money of 10 Grand. Also Black Pete just happens to show up and hide the money he stole in their tree. From there on, it turns into a short of Chipmunks Vs. Outlaw and it was hysterical.  While not as good as their pairings with Pluto or Donald, I could actually find myself rooting for them this time because unlike those shorts they weren't doing this to be annoyances but rather to stop the bad guy, which they ultimately did.


Characters


I'll be breaking this down into Main & Villain.  Though I'm going to group Chip 'n' Dale together because this was at a point in their career where they hadn't been given separate personalities.

Main Characters


Chip 'n' Dale voiced by James MacDonald & Dessie Flynn












Chip 'n' Dale were hilarious in this short in all of the different ways they tried to stop Black Pete.  From using his gun against him and that is how they caught him.  Before that at one point they took his bullet power and salt and switched them around. Y'know won't see stuff like that some shows these days.  Chip 'n' Dale while simple characters were funny in this short with all of the different methods they used to bring down Black Pete and to me that is the most integral part of any short that is supposed to be comedic.  And with Chip 'n' Dale,  your not looking for Shakespeare and yes true, Rescue Rangers gave them an adventurous edge which was awesome but for their shorts, I want comedy and they delivered.



Villain


Black Pete voiced by Billy Bletcher




Black Pete as stated is our villain and it was so refreshing to actually see him in a villain role after everything that has happened to him over the years turning him into more of a bully than an actual villain. As I stated, he stole the money from the bank and hides it in Chip 'n' Dale's tree. At  first, after he hides the money and the chipmunks start messing with him, he thinks he is going paranoid.  Each time that Black Pete believes himself to be going paranoid, he would jump behind these rocks and start firing off his guns.  Once he sees Chip 'n' Dale though he starts fighting back and forth between Black Pete & the Chipmunks.  This was funny and it also showed that Chip 'n' Dale could hold their own against ruthless villains.


My Final Thoughts




In the end, I will say that I enjoyed this short immensely but I'm torn to whether or not Chip 'n' Dale work as headliners.  I don't know they were funny as always and they had someone to fight against and as I stated,  Black Pete was more of a threat than Pluto or Donald  but on the same token, the fight felt a tad one sided because I knew from the get go that I wanted Chip 'n' Dale to take down Black Pete whereas with Pluto or Donald,  I can root either them or Chip 'n' Dale.  That is probably the only flaw in this gem otherwise it's a decent enough short that I would suggest checking out.     Join me tomorrow as I continue this Anniversary celebration with a Top 6 of a classic Cowboy character that you all should know.

Hint: There's a Snake In My Boot 

No comments:

Post a Comment