Take A Look at Disney

12/16/11

Music Fridays # 36:You've Got a Friend In Me



Hello, welcome back to Music Fridays & today we continue our look at the music of Toy Story as for the first time on Music Fridays, I'll be taking a look at different versions of the same song with that song being You've Got a Friend In Me.  I'll be looking at the original,  both versions from Toy Story 2, the Toy Story 3 version and one cover. With that  out of the way, let's begin.



You've Got a Friend In Me  - Toy Story version






Ah, the classic.  The original.  It is such a great song and I'm just going to say right now that I disagree that Randy Newman writes the same song all the time.  Even though I'm looking at multiple  versions of the same song today. What can one say about this rendition?  It's a classic and one of the greatest Pixar songs and in my opinion  this song shows  the importance of friendship.  Granted, it's not my favorite version but if it weren't for this version, I wouldn't have my favorite and if you read Top 6 Sheriff Woody Moments, you should know which version is my favorite and we'll be coming to that right about now...


You've Got a Friend In Me  (Woody's Version) -   Toy Story 2





To me this is hands down the greatest version of this song that has been used in any of the movies.  It is so poignant and the way it hits Woody is beautiful.  This is one of those moments that can be both heartbreaking & heartwarming at the same time.  As I stated in My Top 6 Sheriff Woody Moments,  this helps Woody to realize that he belongs with Andy and not in some museum. 


You've Got a Friend In Me (Wheezy's Version) - Toy Story 2





Compared to the first two versions of this song, this one has more of lounge singer type feel to it as if you'd be listening to it sung by a crooner while enjoying a nice dinner while perhaps on a cruise.  It's not bad and it is certainly a unique spin on this classic song.


You've Got a Friend In Me - Toy Story 3






I have admitted in the past that Toy Story 3 is my least favorite in the entire trilogy.  I honestly feel that it isn't as good as the first 2 and in my opinion,  the soundtrack for 3 is lackluster at best.   As I stated last time,  this is my least favorite film version of this song.  Technically, there is nothing wrong with it and I get what they were going for with having be sung in Spanish with Spanish Buzz and all but to me just doesn't sound very good.  That's all I can really say about it. 


You've Got a Friend In Me - Donny Osmond & Rosie O' Donnell





Now I know that this video uses clips from Mork & Mindy. Consider it an  extra but when I saw the listing for this cover, I couldn't pass it up.  Some of you may know that Donny sang I'll Make a Man Out of You in Mulan and played Gaston in the Broadway adaption of Beauty and The Beast and as for Rosie, she played Terk.  This is a unique combo but I actually think it works and it is a fun little number. Even if Donny does shine over Rosie for the song but it still a good and fun  cover.   Highly enjoyable and very likable. 


Well, so ends my look at You've Got a Friend In Me.  Join me next time when I take a look at  classic theme songs of. the coolest Disney Channel Show ever...




Yep, starting when I get back,  it's all KP as you give you the sitch on one of the most awesome Disney shows ever. 






2 comments:

  1. You've Got a Friend In Me in Toy Story 3 was somewhat a surprise, just like seeing Chris Cooper dancing and rapping in The Muppets. Donny Osmond & Rosie O' Donnell's version was very new to me and it is so enjoyable! I am looking forward to KP review. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Donny and Rosie version is pretty good. KP week will start next week.

    ReplyDelete