Take A Look at Disney

5/31/12

Newsies

Well, I just saw Newsies for the first time and this is also the first time that I watched a film for review on my IPad.  I must say that I greatly enjoyed the film. Now there are a few reasons as to why, I've decided to watch this film, first I'm curious about the stage production and I figured why not familiarize myself with the source material and secondly seeing as The Dark Knight Rises comes out this summer, I thought it might be fun to look at one of Christian Bale's earliest film roles.   Oh,  I guess that I should mention that when this film was released in '92, it was box office bomb and was also undeservedly nominated for some Razzies.  At the time, this was Disney's highest costing  live action film to make but when it hit theaters, it became their lowest grossing live action film.   It received many harsh reviews such as  Leonard Maltin  christening it Howard The Paperboy in comparison to another box office bomb, Howard The Duck but like Howard The Duck over time, Newsies has gained a cult following and there are rumblings going around that Disney will be releasing a 20th anniversary Blu-Ray.   I enjoyed this film very much and I just wonder why it didn't do well back in '92. Part of me believes that people just weren't interested in musicals at the time, this film came out or perhaps, Disney chose the wrong medium to tell this story and just should've made it a stage play from the get go.   Then again there is the argument that most of the '90s Disney animated canon films that were part of the Renaissance were structured like stage musicals and also this film had music written by Alan Menken. That right there should'v been a winning combination but alas it tanked but nowadays, it has found it's way into many people's hearts who realize that isn't such a bad film after all.

The Trailer 


I've decided to give the trailer it's own segment on the review as I've been talking about them a lot during my film reviews recently.






Oh, '90s Disney trailers, how I miss these.  They were so corny and sometimes didn't make sense for the movie that they were promoting but they quite a charm about them.  I like this trailer a lot and it showcases a lot of the good moments from the film but doesn't spoil the movie.





The Plot




The plot,  well, it's hard to  describe it but  let's start by saying is loosely based on the newsboy strike of 1899.   Now does it bug me that it's a loose adaption?  No, not really because I still believe that the film has a good story and it is rather engaging.   In the film we follow a group of newsboys or the so called Newsies, who most of are orphans that live in Newsboy lodging houses and sell papers specifically Joe  Pulitzer's  New York World.  Who happens to be our antagonist of the film.  The Newsies form a strike when there is a price hike  on the papers or "papes"  as they call them and they decide to become a union by just saying they're a union.  Just go with it.   Our two main leaders of the strike are Jack "Cowboy" Kelly and David Jacobs.   David and his little brother, Les (hey, finally found a Disney character you share a name with  Les.)   became Newsies after their father was injured on the job and was deemed useless as he was not part of a union.   The film takes us through the highs and the lows of the Newsies' strike and I have to say that while yes, there were some flaws, I found  myself enjoying the film and I think of the biggest reasons I liked the story is that the people behind this film understood that with a good musical the music should help to advance the story and it most certainly does that here and I just recently heard director Kenny Ortega state in an interview, he said that he wanted the choreography to advance the story.  Now, I had to think about this but I think that does happen in this film.




Characters




Now while there are a lot of characters, in this film I had to narrow it down  so therefore, I won't be talking about all of the Newsies.  The ones that I'll be touching upon are Jack, David, Les, and Crutchy.   The characters will be broken down into Important, Supporting, and Villain.




Important Characters






Jack"Cowboy" Kelly/Francis Sullivan  played by Christian Bale














I really liked the character of Jack Kelly, he made for a good leading character.  Sure, the idea of a character having a troubled past is cliched as hell but I don't know I thought it worked for his character.  He talks a big game about how he wants to go out west to Santa Fe to join his parents but in reality, his father is a convict and his mother is deceased.  We learn about this during the beautiful number, Santa Fe.    We also learn that he escaped from The Refuge (think juvie)  with some help from then Governor Teddy Roosevelt.   Jack seemed to be the de facto leader of the Newsies and as I said up above when talking about the plot, he and David seemed to be the leaders of the strike.    While David has the book smarts,  Jack had the street smarts and was able to say the things that David was afraid to.   You can see the passion he has for his fellow Newsies and how pissed he is when no newspaper will run a story about the strike.   Which equates to the strike never happening  I just love the resolution that they come with by making their own paper and add on that they used Pulitzer's paper mill is an added bonus.    Even though I didn't feel the need to bring it up as plot device when watching the film, you'll notice that Jack's bandanna is red which makes him stand out even more from the other Newsies. Add this in with this cowboy hat and you can see him trying him to live out in western dream.   Now it's no secret that Christian Bale does not look back on this film with fondness but that doesn't surprise as a lot of celebrities aren't proud of their early work, take for example Johnny Depp who hates 21 Jump Street.



David "Davey" Jacobs  played by David Moscow














Is it just me or does this actor look like a young Kirk Cameron?  Nah, just me.  Anyways as for the character of David, he's okay but it's odd after watching the film, I remember so little about him.   Part of me thinks that comes from the fact that Jack overshadowed him.  Taking Jack out of the equation, he was a good character and served his purpose well.  As stated he along with his brother became newsboys to bring in money when their father injured himself on the job. David is the partner that Jack needs to get the job done because while Jack may have the street smarts, it comes across that David is the more civilized of the two and he knows what to say to motivate the Newsies but he's afraid to say it, so he tells Jack what to say.      I honestly believed their friendship here and that helped me to get investment in their characters.



Bryan Denton played by Bill Pullman


















Denton,  had to be one of my favorites if not my favorite character in the film. He was one of the only adults and the only one from the newspaper industry that supported the cause and he even went so far as to write an article  about the strike.   Though this causes to get relocated to cover the war but he decides to help the boys and he helps print the Newsies' banner and he also pays for their bail so that they won't have to go to the refuge.    Denton was a very sympathetic character and I loved the interaction he had with the boys, in many ways he became a surrogate father to the Newsies.    Each time, he was onscreen  he felt very welcoming and you could tell that he wanted nothing more than to see the Newsies succeed.   He also has one of the most passionate lines in the entire film.

Sometimes all it takes is a voice, one voice that becomes a hundred, then a thousand, unless it's silenced. 

Spot  Conlon played by Gabriel Damon


















With Spot, I swear when he first showed up in the film I thought that he would betray the Newsies.   It was just something about the way the character carried himself but thankfully, I was wrong and he was more or less just a tough guy and he was willing to help the Newsies fight their cause. Out  of all of the boys, he seemed to be most rebellious, which was a lot of fun.    Now while not one of my favorite characters, I didn't dread his appearances.








Governor Teddy Roosevelt played by David James Alexander



















Roosevelt is an interesting case because throughout most of the film, he is an unseen character and  Jack's story of escaping the refuge with the aid of Roosevelt comes across as a tall tale and with the character of Jack that isn't too surprising considering that he  had embellished on other aspects of his life.  Now Roosevelt didn't have very many lines throughout the film but he was an important character in that he helped the boys win the strike. Thanks in part to  Denton bringing it to his attention and he is also the one that convinced Jack to stay in New York.   Now, I'll admit at the end of the movie, I felt as though it was still left up in the air whether or not  Jack's escape story  was true and I like that because not every thing needs to have a definitive answer.




Supporting Characters




Crutchy played by  Marty Belafsky




























Crutchy was my favorite of the Newsies and he warmed up to me right at the beginning with this cute conservation with Jack

Crutchy: Jack, when I walk, does it look like I'm fakin' it? 
Jack Kelly: Nah, Crutchy, who says ye'r fakin' it? 
Crutchy: I don't know... It's just there's so many fake crips on the streets today, a real crip ain't got a chance. I gotta find me a new sellin' 






This right here is what sold me on this character and I just loved his character and thought he was the most relatable of all of the Newsies and seeing being taken to the refuge is something that angered me because in my eyes he didn't do anything to deserve to go there and in some ways it came across as if the opponents wanted to break the Newsies down by taking away one of their members but he got his vengeance in the end when he got to put the warden in the jail car.     





Les Jacobs played by Luke Edwards






























Les is the younger brother of David and he admires Jack  and it's cute.  Les, being the youngest of the Newsies didn't have much to do but thankfully he did not feel like a tag along character.  He was able to stand on his own and he was an all right character if a tad forgettable but I liked him all the same but I think his brother is the better character.




Medda "Swedish Meadowlark" Larkson played by Ann-Margaret


















Now, these next two characters that I'll be talking about I feel added nothing of value to the film.  First with Medda,  she is a flapper who happens to be a family friend of Jack and I swear she only has one memorable moment and that is her song, which isn't even all that memorable to begin with.  Maybe I forgot about her but it seemed like she had no effect on the overall story.



Sarah Jacobs played by Ele Keats














Sarah, the older sister of Jacob and Les really doesn't add much to this film and to me she is the most forgettable character in the entire film.  Seriously, she added nothing of value to the film and while I get that she was supposed to be the love interest for Jack, the film spent so little time developing that,  to the point where they got together at the had had me scratching my head.  Honestly,  the one thing  that sticks out the most for me is sadly when she is being attack by the Newsies' enemies, the DeLancey Brothers who are Scabbers that happen to look down on the Newsies.   That is rather sad and I've heard that in the stage production, her character has been cut and honestly I think that can only improve the story.



Music




Carrying The Banner







This is such a great song and it shows the relationship of the Newsies rather well. They are brothers and will go to bat for one another.  The song is rather jovial and just a lot of fun and works as a great introduction to these characters and the world of this film.   While not my favorite from the film, it's still a fun listen and I love the upbeat nature of the song and I'll admit I at first thought the nuns came out of nowhere but the more I look at it,  I feel as if the nuns are there to tell the boys that can have a better life.


My Lovey Dovey Baby





This is perhaps, my least favorite song from the film and I do apologize that the best quality, I could find is a cover. I don't know what it is about this song but it's just so blah in my opinion.   While most of the songs at least help to advance the story and the characters, this one I feel stops the film for this spectacle and it ends up taking me out of the film for that period.   It's not a bad song but I don't think it works in this film, it fits in the period of the film, yes but it  does nothing for the film.




Santa Fe






Now, this is more like it.   This is such a great song and it opens up the character of Jack Kelly to the audience so much more and it shows his tender side because up until this point, we've only seen his tough guy persona but here we get to see his dreams and and fears, I don't know if that's the right way to put it.   Also this has to be one of the coolest horse riding sequences in any musical.   This is such a great song and such a tender moment.



The World Will Know 






This is such a great song and the right type of empowerment that the Newsies need to get the strike going.  This is one of the best songs in the film and I think this is one of the best group numbers in the film.   I just love this song and this is one that can easily get me pumped up.   I'm almost feel as though I'm out there standing side by side with the Newsies while listening to this song.



Seize The Day






Man, the songs keep on getting better.   This has to be one of the most cherished and beloved songs from this film and I can see that. Behind Santa Fe, this has to be my favorite.   I don't know what it is about this song but everything about from the lyrics to the message just work for me. Again, like our previous song this is a song to me that is all about standing up for what you believe is right.  Also, I must add in that this song is a great moment from David as he finally gets out from under the shadow of Jack here.



Seize The Day (Chorale)





While I enjoy the first version of this song, the opening is rather haunting and powerful with how it is sung and I must say that I love the choreography in this number.




King of New York





In many ways, this song reminds of Carry The Banner in how fun it is and it is a great highlight not only for once again the Newsies but also Denton. I swear when watching this number, I could not take my eyes off Denton as he was the most engaging part in this number.   I also like this one because I'm always fond of songs where the characters get to sing about living out their dreams.



Once and For All




Now I realize I'm skipping two songs, I 'm skipping High Times, Hard Times because it adds zero value and the reprise of Santa Fe isn't  online. (same is true for the reprises of The World Will Know and Carry The Banner, which are great songs by the way)  I have to admit, this song made me go huh?  Mostly because this song is song overhead instead being sung onscreen like majority of the other songs. Does that make it bad? Not at all, again this is a great song and works for a great climax in getting the Newsies to their victory. 



Villains






Weasel/Wiesel played by Micheal Lerner













Now, okay I'll admit maybe it is a bit of stretch to put Weasel under the villains category but I think that does fit a wee bit because he does come across as an enemy to the Newsies.  Also, I have to say before watching this film, I had no idea that newsboys had to pay for their bundles that they carried around. As for the character of Weasel, at best he seemed to be a comedic threat but light on the comedy.   The comedy with his character comes from how the Newsies treat him and you got the feeling that while he didn't hate the Newsies, he couldn't stand them and the same is true of Newsies' feelings regarding Weasel.



The DeLancey Brothers played by Shon Greenblatt & David Sheinkpof













The DeLancey  brothers are interesting as they closest in age to the Newsies and look down on them because they're better off than most of the Newsies.  The fights between  them felt real because  it really felt as though could've taken place during that time and as I said when talking about Sarah, when they were beating her up, that was intense.   These were two characters that I really liked and they were a great threat to the Newsies.



Mister Snyder played by  Kevin Tighe

















Snyder, is the warden of the refuge and as seen at the beginning of the film Jack is on the run from him. His presence is very ominous as he doesn't say much throughout the film but when he shows up, you knew there was trouble and when Crutchy got to put him in jail car at the end, I just loved it.



Joe Pulitzer played by Robert Duvall




















It's strange that even though, Pulitzer was the main villain, he felt the least threatening.  He was a type of villain that worked from behind his desk and pulled the strings to get things done.  It really felt as though he relied on his cronies to get thing moving and I have to admit, I'm always caught off guard a bit when a historical figure is portrayed as a villain.  I will say though that I loved it when Jack and David finally stood up to him and opened his window so that he could hear the strike.  One of the best moments though is when it clicks in his mind that they used his printing press to make the newspaper talking about the strike.

Jack Kelly: There's a lot of people out there, and they ain't just gonna go away. They got voices now and they're goin' to be listened to. Putting them in jail is not going to stop them. That's the power of the press, Joe. So thanks for teaching me about it. 

Seitz: Those kids put out a pretty good paper there, Chief. 

Joseph Pulitzer: I ordered a printing ban on all strike matters. Now, who defied me? Whose press did you use to print this on? Whose? 

Jack Kelly: Well, we only use the best, Joe. So, I just want to say... thanks again. 




My Final Thoughts




I still don't understand while this film flopped when it was first released but I'm happy that this film has garnered the love that it deserves because it is a good musical that is a lot of fun.  It has great songs,  great characters and an engaging story.  Sure there are some things in this film namely two characters that don't work for me but I'm willing to overlook that.   This is a film that  I cannot reccomend enough.  

2 comments:

  1. This was very cool... And I agreed With you on many things. Crutchy is my all-time favorite Newsie. :) Go Crutchy!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for the comment. Yeah, Crutchy is awesome.

      Delete