Take A Look at Disney

1/4/12

KP Week: A Sitch In Time





I have decided to review A Sitch In Time as my film review for KP Week.  Trust me, I went back and forth between this or So The Drama but seeing as I enjoy this film more, I decided why not share my thoughts on it.


The Plot

The plot of  A Sitch In Time revolves around three of KP's biggest foes, Monkey Fist, Duff Killigan, and Dr. Drakken teaming up to take down once and for all. Looking for something called the Tempus Simia or Time Monkey.  This ancient artifact allows them to travel through time and try to stop Kim at every turn before she became the world hero that she is.   While it looks as though the boys are running the show, we find out midway through the film that Shego as I  have stated was the one that orchestrated the plot to defeat KP and part of her doing that was by tearing apart Kim and Ron by having Ron move to Norway.  After she had broken up the team, they were losing missions more & more.  With Shego doing this she was able to take over the  world as we see in this film's future.

I guess it's easy being green in The Future!


We first see this future when Rufus 3000 goes to the present day and shows Kim what the future looked like and told her that she was the only one that could defeat The Supreme One (Shego).   Okay,  I need to bring something here that I found odd when watching this film for the review that never bugged me before.  When KP is sent to the future, it's obvious that Shego had taken over the future just by looking at the color of their outfits as they were the same black & green color scheme as what Shego wears. Yet, Kim thought Drakken had taken over the world. Maybe it's just me nitpicking but I thought that there were enough visual clues to show that Shego had taken over the world.  Again, I could just be nitpicking but I found that to be strange.   The plot is okay for the most part.  I will admit that there are some moments such as what I previously mentioned that bog the plot down.   Still, the time travel elements are used well in this plot are handled well enough.  Really,  that is probably the most noticeable plot hole in this film.


Characters

Word of caution, there's a lot of characters to talk about here. So that's going to stretch this review out more than usual. Also I'll be talking about some characters that are future versions of characters that I have not touched upon during KP Week that had different voices actors for their future selves.  Though I will try to make it a note of saying who their regular voice actor is.

Important Characters

Kim Possible voiced by Christy Carlson Romano



I have to say that I like the way, this film handled Kim, it showed that without Ron, she was weak and would fail.   Hard as she may, she just isn't as strong without Kim.  Which cements something most fans probably already knew that apart they are weak but together they are strong. Though when push came to shove KP was strong as ever and as always could hold her own but there were those moments when things looked dark and as though she was about to lose but in the end, she came out on top.


Pre K Kim voiced by Dakota Fanning



As stated this is a time travel film and we get to see KP throughout different portions of her life. The first one being her first day of Pre K.  I have to admit that I think that is a cute idea showing how Kim and Ron met because they met in Pre K after nap time and in a twisted way, I liked Drakken's original plan of sneaking into Kim's pre k and destroy her spirit and make her feel awful by picking on her. He did this by turning himself, Monkey Fist, & Killigan into toddlers. Of course it worked for a while and then we got to see  Pre K Kim in action against the bullies as she called them after they started picking on Ron and this little gal could hold her own. It's no wonder that she became the skilled fighter that she is.  


Pre Teen Kim also voiced by Christy Carlson Romano











Now this is where things really picked up Here we gotta to see KP on her first mission and it was pretty awesome. Just as with her 4 year old self, the Pre Teen Kim had some killer moves and in case you need reference.


















As I stated the last time I used this video, this was KP's first mission and is it any wonder that she went on to become the World Hero that she was portrayed after seeing some of those stellar moves. It was also cute getting to see Present KP and Ron interact with their younger selves and  it added moment of fresh air to a part of the film that had a lot of tension in it already.



Ron Stoppable voiced by Will Friedle












Now it's hard to say how Ron was in this film because unlike the second film, So The Drama. There wasn't much development here and I guess part of that is because this film was treated more as a mini series in the timeline of the series even though it was aired as a film on Disney Channel and released as such.  So in that sense I guess that's okay but I don't know.  However seeing him and KP torn apart is a nice touch and seeing him trying to cope with that was funny and as usual Ron had some humorous moments but again something just felt off.


Pre K Ron voiced by Harrison Fahn











It was shown in Pre K that Ron was just as goofy and silly.  He was a lot of fun a pre k student too.  It was cute seeing him stand up for Kim after being picked one even though it ended up backfiring.   It was cute seeing how the two became friends and how it started with this one little line from Kim

Your weird but I like you.

That was said after he made a comment about the toddler version of Monkey fist not wearing any shoes.


 Pre Teen Ron also voiced by Will Friedle











Now  between present day Ron and pre teen Ron, there isn't too huge of a difference.   Although it was funny seeing  how pre teen Ron looked up to his present day self and thought he wasn't  afraid anymore.  It was funny when pre teen Ron saw present day Ron face off against the villains and didn't think he was afraid anymore. Which inspired him to face his fears.  He had a line that went with him saying and it's a cute comment about him wanting to face his fears. Of course, pre teen KP has a funny comment about this after pre teen Ron makes a comment about present day not being scared. Which you should have heard if you watched the clip I included.


Rufus 3000 voiced by Michael Dorn















Rufus 3000 is a descendant of the present day Rufus.  Note that he does not  come from the year, 3000 but rather from some form of genetic experiment there are 3000 descendants of Rufus in the future that are part of the resistance that wish to take down The Supreme One.  Rufus 3000's main role is to inform Kim of  what is happening and how she is the only one that can save the world from The Supreme One.   Also from what I saw when they were in The Future,  he appeared to be the leader of the 3000 Rufus'.  Makes me wonder if he was the first to be formed. Of course he probably won't exist in the future as the timeline had been altered when the time monkey was destroyed.   He was an all right character and it was funny to see them take a character that was basically meant for comic relief and give him descendant that was more serious and straight laced.




Supporting Characters




Rufus voiced by Nancy Cartwright











Now unlike his future counterpart, present day Rufus didn't have too much to do in this film.  As stated above, he is nothing more than a comic relief character and don't get me wrong, he works well in that role and he's a naked mole rat, so there really isn't too much to say with him but in a strange way, he led to the creation of Rufus 3000. Again, I love Rufus and he's a cute character but I don't know at times, he felt underused at times but when he was used there were great moments.





Future Wade voiced by Michael Clarke Duncan









Now we come to another future counterpart character voiced by a different actor.  In the series, Wade, KP's go to guy for missions and the person that invents her gadgets is voiced by Tahj Mowry of Smart Guy fame.  While in The Future,  he is voiced by Michael Clarke Duncan.   Now I apologize for not going into much detail on him in the show if you have not seen it but I rather focus on his future counterpart who I view as playing a larger role in this film. Also I included a link that should direct you to his page on the Kim Possible Wiki.   From what I can gather in the future,   Wade  along with KP's brothers, Jim & Tim or as she calls them the tweebs along with Rufus 3000 formed the Resistance in order to take down Shego.  One recurring joke in the Future is that everyone has become muscular as seen here with Wade.  Which is a little funny because it's true and I must say that the future version of Wade held a pretty good fight and I thought it was actually pretty cool to see him in action because during the show,  the audience ever saw Wade go on field  missions with KP and Ron. I mean sure there were some moments after the film aired but he was mostly resigned to appearing through the Kimmunicator.    I did enjoy that and while this future version of Wade was awesome, I suspect that along with Rufus 3000 that after the time monkey was destroyed,  Wade's future most likely changed. To what? Who knows?


Future Jim & Tim both voiced by  Freddie Prinze Jr.










Okay, let's this get this out of the way first, here's the link to their page on the KP Wiki,  Tweebs.   Jim & Tim are KP's younger twin brothers in the show and they are nothing if not annoying.  It was actually refreshing to see these two characters who are normally just goofballs and trouble makers portrayed as being serious.   Just as with future Wade, they could hold their own in a fight and were rather tough.  If  I had to suspect who the leaders were, I think that it would have to be Jim & Tim. Which isn't too surprising to me because while they can be annoying, they also seem to have the right skills to make them leadership material. 



Monique  voiced by Raven











Now I know for the supporting characters I haven't touched upon their present day counterparts. I'm doing that with Monique  because in the beginning of the film, she plays a somewhat important role. As you see  after Ron moved to Norway, KP convinced her to be his replacement on missions. That didn't work out too well as to be honest she was worse than Ron and she haven't stated that it probably take her 20 years until she was ready to fight alongside KP and take down the baddies.  Which is actually  foreshadowing to tNhe future as The Future is exactly 20 years from the day the film takes place in the present.  Which if we go by when the film was released in 2003, that would mean that the year they go in the future is  2023.   In case your wondering, how KP got Monique to join her. Well she just used the ever popular Puppy Dog Pout.













Future Monique voiced by Vivica A. Fox










Now as stated above, Monique became  a skilled fighter 20 years after her first outing with KP.   Now to be honest, I'm not sure if she's part of the Resistance or not seeing as we don't see her in the future until we meet the rest of the future characters that are part of the Resistance.  As for why Monique turned to fighting, she needed to find a new hobby after Shego outlawed shopping.  While not the greatest motive that is in character with her character and it was fun seeing her in the future even if we didn't get to see her future self that much.


Music


Just a quick note about all of the music in this film, it is very bubblegum pop and early 2000's.   Some of it is okay but I do think it is one aspect that drags the film down a bit.



Work It Out





Our opening song from the film and it is heard during a cheer leading session at the school.  Which I can see it being used for that but  I don't know I'm not a big fan of this song. I'd say that this is probably one of the weaker songs in this film. Does it work in the context of how they used it? Yes but I don't know there is just something about this song that teeters on being annoying.



Get Up on Ya Feet





Here again, I just can't get into this song. For those of you wondering, that is Aaron Carter,  the younger brother of Backstreet Boys' member, Nick Carter singing. Anyone remember when family members of celebrities tried their hand at what their sibling was known for back in the early '00s.  Sorry off topic, again  I can't get into this song.  I find it better than the first song used but my question is "How does it correlate to KP ?"  That's the biggest gripe I have with most of the songs used, I just feel that they have nothing to do with Kim and were just picked at random or because the singer was popular or in this case related to someone popular.


E! Is for Everybody






As much I find this song to be a be a bit annoying, it's usage does make sense in the way they used it as they it was KP's song that was used for cheer leading tryouts as we saw when we saw Pre Teen Kim in the past.  Does it's usage make sense? Yes! Do I like it? Not a bit,  again I don't know what it is but just like the last two songs, there is something about this song that is annoying and I think that it is the way it is sung.


It's Just You





Enjoy this music video!  My feeling about this song: Finally one that actually makes sense for KP.  I actually think this is one of the better songs from this film and works within the context of not just the film but also in explaining Kim as a great hero who can do anything.  This song can be summed using KP's catchphrase. Honestly, this song is so refreshing after those last two.  It sounds better and it makes sense for this franchise. That is the best thing about this song being used. It makes sense for it to be used.



    This Year



This song is brought to us by the A*Teens. Anyone remember them? No, I didn't think so.   It's a decent enough song and works well with the film exploring the relationship of KP and Ron and how they need on another for support.  And how when torn apart, they are weak.  You know, I don't think it was reused in So The Drama but  I could actually see this song fitting in there as well.    It's a decent song and cute enough.  



Villains




Duff Killigan voiced by Brian George















Now I wasn't sure how to handle the villains.  Do I lump them together or do them separately?  I decided that the best way to do this was to just stick to my usual style and talk about each one individually.  Now while the villains did play a huge role, I think out of all them, Duff was the least important.  In some sense, I feel that he was used just because alongside Drakken & Monkey Fist, he was one of KP's more popular foes.  As I said when I talked about him last time, he is a good villain. In the Future, Duff along with the other three main villains ended up working for Shego. Duff ended becoming a cyborg or he says

The World's Greatest Golfing Cyborg










Monkey Fist voiced by Tom Kane












Now unlike Duff,  Monkey Fist actually had a bigger role in the film and he should considering the main plot device was called the Time Monkey.  Though this did make me realize that while the show has had villains team up in the past that it doesn't always work and that seems to be the case here.  I think part of the problem from that stems from the fact that these villains are too over the top to work as a cohesive team.   Still, it was a fun ride if nothing else.


Dr. Drakken voiced by John Di Maggio














Now if it appeared that anyone was the supposed leader of the bunch, it was Dr. D. One of the downsides to this film is that we didn't get to see how the villains came together but then again, I guess you don't need that if the audience are already familiar with the characters.   Of course we all know from what has been said, while KP was duped into believing he was the one orchestrating the events that set up the terrible Future and while partly true, Shego was the one who actually got the work done.  It was funny seeing Dr. Drakken in the Future because like the other characters he had become muscular and also as stated earlier,  early on in the film, we also see him along with the other two supposed main bad guys as tots.  Both pictures below.











Shego voiced by Nicole Sullivan













Now as  I stated when talking about Shego during my Top 6 KP Villains,  Shego was able to take over the world and the main reason she was able to do this is that during the trip through the past to KP's first mission, Shego's future self came to the past to talk to her past self and let her know that Drakken's plot was going to go south and that she needed to steal the time monkey when she got the chance.  Now we didn't see this but it was verified  that Shego succeeded in doing this when we saw the gang go to the future.  And this is the main reason why I consider Shego the best KP villain because she was able to take over the world and Kim wasn't in her way to stop her.  For those of you wondering what happened to KP and Ron during the 20 years between 2003 and this film's future, they were lost in the time stream.  The future version of Shego showed something that I loved her, she could be a serious threat while still having a sarcastic side to her.   Shego was clearly the best villain in this film.


My  Final Thoughts


I would say that this is a good film and does the show justice.  There are some things that bring it down such as the soundtrack and seriously, how could KP not figure Shego took over the world when Rufus 3000 showed her the future, the first time?  Sorry that's a minor nitpick but it was so obvious.  Other than those things, it is fun and I enjoy it. Of course, it helps that I'm a fan of the show and I think this is one of those films where if your not familiar with the show, you could get lost watching the film. It's not like the Phineas and Ferb film where it have references to the show but rather you need to watch the show to better understand the relationships between each characters as that is a heavy theme throughout the entire film. At the end of the day, if your a fan of KP, you'd probably already seen this and if not, I say give it a watch.  If your not a fan but interested in Kim Possible, pick any episode from season 1 - 2 before watching the film.  Only one article left. Join me Friday for a Kim Possible Music Fridays.

2 comments:

  1. It was a great review. The film looks like an exciting one, and I agree with you about the songs. Although I said it earlier, your KP reviews are great introduction to people unfamiliar with the show. By the way, is it me or is every villain's design looks over-the-top except for Shego? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The film is a lot of fun, especially if your into time travel and as for the villains design, I believe that to be intentional. The soundtrack really is the only thing that brings the film down. I'm ecstatic to hear that my blogs have been a great introduction to this awesome show.

    ReplyDelete