Take A Look at Disney

7/16/12

Can We Talk about Freaky Friday Being Turned Into a Musical




So news has leaked on Disney is currently working on a musical adaption of the '03 remake of Freaky Friday.  While I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt,  this just seems to be odd to me but then again they're adapting Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland to the stage (Bleh!)   and the Steve Martin, Father of The Bride.    


Now here's the thing I'm not against Disney doing these adaptions but I do have to ask why the remake?   Not just for Freaky Friday but also for Alice.  Look, I like these musicals and I'm sure that it'll turn out okay and I'll check out the music but part of me is disappointed that they chose to go with the Lindsay Lohan film rather than the original.   






I don't know maybe it's just me but I think that the original would be more fun to see onstage.  Now I do believe that this could turn out well  but I do feel that even though there are plenty of musicals set in modern times,  I kinda prefer musicals set in the past and maybe that's just me being nitpicky and yeah, I know you could use m argument against me with some of the musicals I like and there is also the argument that the period shouldn't matter to the story so long as the story is good and I do agree to that but to me it just seems odd and perplexing that they chose the remake over the original. Then again, it's odd that they chose to adapt this film at all as you don't hear much talk about either the original or the remake.  Look, even though I know they're adapting the remake,   I do hope that they find a way to incorpate this song from the original into the musical.  








Highly doubt it as the daughter is a teen in the remake but one can dream, right?  I will say this much about this adaption,  they are going to have to get some really good actresses to pull off the lead roles.    At the end of the day,  I'm willing to give this adaption a chance but yeah, I still do think I would've liked it more if they had gone with the '76 film because I don't know maybe it's just me but by adapting the remake, it seems as though they're forgetting about the Jodie Foster original. 


Now  I will admit that it may seem odd to adapt this film as technically it isn't a musical but this isn't the first time this has been done. Well okay to clear that up, this is the first time it's been done for a venue other than a theme park or a cruise ship as Finding Nemo and Toy Story were adapted respectively for  Animal Kingdom and the Disney Cruise Line.  And I know the soundtrack for Finding Nemo: The Musical and y'know what it's pretty good.  If I recall correctly, they brought the people from Ave Q to write the songs.  






Now I have not seen Finding Nemo: The Musical but I plan to rectify that on my next trip to Disney World as I've heard good things about it. As for Toy Story: The Musical, I've watched it on YouTube and well, it's not bad per se but it's not good either.   It will be interesting to see how this one is pulled off because while it's not that I don't have faith in the project, I just find it odd that they would try with this non-musical. Then again, we just got Ghost: The Musical. Yes, based on the Swayzee film.  






Honestly, this shows that Disney isn't the only one doing this and it's a popular thing to do. I mean for Christ's sake, people.  They're have been rumors of a Back to The Future musical floating around for quite some time.   I just have to ask one thing regarding BTTF as a musical.  HOW? Better yet, WHY?   I will say this muc I think Freaky Friday makes more sense for the stage than BTTF ever will.  



At the end of the day, I would've liked if it had been the original but I can settle with them adapting the remake even if I do think this is an odd idea and I somehow don't think this will do as well as Disney's big hits onstage like The Lion King,  Newsies or Beauty and The Beast.   What are your thoughts on this?  Do you think it'll work or not.  Tell me in the comments. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment