Take A Look at Disney

11/11/12

Dragon Week: Top 6 Dragons






Dragons,  they are such mystical creatures. Some protect, some are filled with childlike innocence, others may have to be defeated by a handsome prince or shining knight.  Dragons have appeared in many various forms throughout the years and Disney is no stranger to these creatures and during this week, I'll be taking a look at various ways that Disney has used these wonderful and sometimes evil creatures. Starting today with a countdown of who I consider to be the Top 6 Disney Dragons.  With that out of the way, let's begin. 




6.  Mad Madam Mim - The Sword In The Stone




Mim is such an over the top villain that's willing to do anything to get her way.  Such as in The Wizard's Duel, when she sets up the rules and one of them being,  "No pink dragons".  Merlin took that to mean no dragons but Mim being one who doesn't follow rules, broke her own rule and turned herself into a dragon. And that had to be one of the funniest moments. In just how that it seems she is going to win but nope, Merlin turned himself into a germ and Mim as a dragon on the whole is such a cartoony looking character that is so much fun and it really fits in with her personality. She was so much fun and so silly as a dragon but I loved it.


5.  Maleficent - Sleeping Beauty/Fantasminc  



Now I know this may seem odd as I've mentioned in the past that I'm not a fan of Sleeping Beauty of even this character but I must admit that Maleficent in her dragon form is pretty awesome and I would say that she in her dragon form falls into the category of being an obstacle for the prince.  As much I think Maleficent is cool in Sleeping Beauty.  I think that in my opinion, she looks so much cooler in the show, Fantasminc.  Take a gander for yourself.





Though I think part of that comes from the fact that your actually there in person and there is just something about seeing a dragon like that in real life.   That is certainly Disney magic at it's finest and  plus can you top Sorcerer Mickey fighting a dragon?  I mean c'mon, that's is AWESOME!!!




That is so cool!!!   Okay,  I know there's Epic Mickey and Kingdom Hearts but how come no one has thought of putting this in a video game.  That would be great.





4.  Jake Long - American Dragon: Jake Long





Now our next dragon is the only one to come from a Disney show and the way, they handled the dragon lore was unique.  In American Dragon: Jake Long,  there are families who have a dragon heritage and they have the power to transform into dragons. For Jake, that comes from his mother's side of the family as his grandfather is also a dragon but his mother did not inherit the dragon ability and instead skipped a generation to Jake and his sister, Hayley.   I think the thing I like about Jake Long is that it almost feels like a superhero series and shows Jake trying to balance his responsibilities as the American Dragon while also being a regular teen.   I should also mention that Jake is the first American Dragon and he can be a tad cocky regarding this and  that is perhaps the one grating area regarding Jake but I'll touch upon that some more during my American Dragon episode review. Now I should also mention that during season 2, there was a change in the animation design and I think that it greatly aided the show.




Now here is the reason, I say that.  Go up and look at the season 1 design.  I think my issue with that one was it almost looked too muscular whereas with season 2,  I find Jake's dragon look more believable as it seems to be his dragon body is also growing as he is growing as well and he is developing his dragon powers. That's why I think the season 2 animation designs work better for me overall.  



3. Elliot - Pete's Dragon 




What do you know? We finally got to a dragon that is just a dragon.  Not some witch or mystical power but just a plain old dragon.  Elliot in many ways is a protector and loyal to his only friend, Pete. They look after each other to the end. Sure, he's a bit clumsy but I do think that is part of his charm.   And even though this film may have faded into obscurity over the years, Elliot is a character that will always stay with me and fun fact: the animation on Elliot was done by Don Bluth.  Also for a while, Elliot found a home in the Main Street Electrical Parade. Albeit, he looks a bit different.



Wow, he looks different there.



2. Mushu - Mulan 






I gotta be honest that I didn't expect Mushu to be placed so high on the list but he's a great character in my opinion. He may be the smallest dragon on the list but he has the most attitude.  And the whole tongue thing is really funny. It's true that his reason for helping Mulan at the beginning may have been a bit selfish but he developed over time and became his own character. But come on, the guy was once a guardian spirit for Mulan's family and he wanted to get his spot back, so can you blame him.  Also I think it shows really well that he does grow to care for Mulan.  I think one of the best examples for that would have to be all he's get all tough guy during I'll Make a Man Out of You, when Shang is talking down to Ping and I also have to say that he has one of the funniest intros in any Disney film.






  




1.   Figment - Journey Into Imagination 




I knew as soon as I came up with this list, who I wanted to be # 1.   It's so strange that I chose him for this location because while I like Figment, I've never got to experience the original   Journey Into Imagination with Dreamfinder as well as Figment.   However I've heard One Little Spark enough times to hear Figment and just hearing his voice there and it is just so infectious. Also during my last trip to Disney World, I finally got to onto Journey Into Imagination with Figment . And I must say that actually getting to see Figment in person  makes me all the happier to place him at # 1 as there, he showed off his playful side is shown so well.   He just wants to play with the guests on the ride.  And I was more than happy to play with Figment.  If you'll recall earlier, what I said about some dragons have childlike traits.  Well, that'd be Figment, he's curious and wants to know things and his mind  dashes from one thought to the next. Y'know  what, just take a listen to One Little Spark to understand why I like this little guy so much. Listening to that song again shows me that Figment most certainly represents the thoughts of children and I just love how creative he is.  Fun Fact: According to an interview with the original actor to play Dreamfinder, Figment's partner who you just heard in that song, Eisner hated Figment because he felt Figment didn't look like a Disney character.   Well to that say,  Figment is just as much a Disney character as any other dragon on this list. He may not be well known as some of the other characters to do him being exclusive to EPCOT but that doesn't change the fact that he is so gosh darn lovable and this is coming from someone who never got the chance to experience the original Journey Into Imagination before they changed it.  I do plan to go on the newer version on my upcoming trip, just so that I can finally see Figment in person. 


There you have it, my Top 6 Dragons.  What are your thoughts?  Are there any other dragons, you would've included. Join me tomorrow for an episode review of...


American Dragon: Jake Long






1 comment:

  1. Hi there, You've done an incredible job. I will definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I'm sure they'll be benefited from this site.
    Feel free to visit my webpage : how to get rid of stomach fat

    ReplyDelete