Take A Look at Disney

4/18/13

Jessica Rabbit. Vs. Meg






Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney.  It is once again time for another Vs. and today,   it is two very strong minded and independent women going up against one another.   Plus they have great looks and the attitude to back it up.   They may have the sex appeal (god, that feels so weird saying that) going for them but they really are sweet ladies.  From Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Jessica Rabbit and from Hercules, Meg. The categories for this Vs. will include Personality (Round 1), who has the better personality, tough considering they are quite similar in this department,  Relationship (Round 2),  normally I would not do this but seeing as the relationships these two women have with their significant other is important to  their character, I find it best to include this.  Song (Round 3),   I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever to get to include this category but simply put, who has the better song, Defining Moment (Round 4),  which moment defines the character the best and finally, The Film Factor (The Final Round), which character works better in her respective film. With that out of the way, let's begin.




Personality (Round 1)


Jessica Rabbit


With Jessica, it's a bit hard to describe personality but in order to do this.  Let's first take a look at what type of film, she is in.  She's in a noir film as that is basically what Roger Rabbit is and in that regard,   she serves the role of bombshell from noir films but that in my opinion, isn't giving her enough credit.   According to the Disney Wiki,  they say Jessica is beautiful, passionate, sexy and glamorous.  Yes,  I can agree to all of those words to sum her up. Beautiful and sexy are perhaps the most obvious words for Jessica but I do feel that they forgot one.  A similar word is brought up but that word is compassion.  Why do I bring up this word?   Well,  look at her love for Roger, she'll stand by him no matter what and knows he is innocent.  (more then I can say for jerk counterpart in the book).    So, yeah I would say that the best way to sum up Jessica is to use the words that the Disney Wiki have but also take into account that even though, she may have the looks, she also has the heart and the smarts to go along with it.   



Meg


With Meg,  she is very cynical in the beginning of the film.  Understandable considering her past but she is also very independent, quick witted and she believes that she doesn't need a man to save her. I like that  and as the film progresses, we get to see her fight with herself as she starts to fall in love with Hercules but she doesn't want to do because of her past with men.  Makes sense and something different from then norm.  Both of these characters are very good and I do like both of the personalities here but I think I have to give this round to...


Jessica Rabbit


  




Relationship (Round 2)


Jessica Rabbit





With this Vs., we are looking at two different ends of relationships. Because Jessica and Roger had already been together and married in the film's setting.   And as I mentioned up top, that relationship is very real and you can feel that these two would do anything for one another.  That they'll be there for each other through thick and thin.   Quite honestly, Jessica's feelings for Roger are best summed up in this conservation with Eddie.






Eddie Valiant: Seriously, what do you see in that guy?
Jessica Rabbit: He makes me laugh.




That right  there, tells us everything we need  to know about Jessica's feelings towards Roger.



Meg














With Meg,    she fights her feelings fro Herc in the beginning because of being scorned but over time, she does fall for him but in the beginning, she is guarded. Understandably but once she falls for him, you can see that Herc lets her take her shield down and get to experience true love.  Hmm,  toughie toughie but as much as I think these are both great relationships,  I've gotta give it to Jessica again.



Jessica Rabbit

















Song (Round 3)


Why Don't You Do Right (Jessica Rabbit)







Talk about an introduction. Yowza!  Sorry, about that.   With this song,  we are only seeing the sexy side of Jessica Rabbit but it, uh delivers in that regard and I also think it shows that she is not someone to toy around with.  It's a simple song, just used to introduce Jessica, nothing more, nothing less.



I Won't Say I'm In Love (Meg)







I'll freely admit that there is some bias here as this one of my favorite Disney songs.   I feel the big reason,   I like this song so much is because it explores Meg's internal conflict of  wanting to love Herc but is scared to fall in love again because of her past.  The fears of her past relationship are something, she is trying to get over and by the end of the song, she does that as she admits her love for Hercules. She is finally ready to be in love again and for that reason, I gotta give this round to...


Meg




















Defining Moment (Round 4)



Jessica Rabbit

I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.



Now with Jessica, it was tough narrowing down what Jessica's Defining Moment would be but then I came back to this line and I honestly think that it sums up her character quite well.  Because it's true.  She isn't a bad character, there is more to her then her outwardly appearance that she sometimes isn't given credit for . It's as I said  in the personality, there is more to her then just her look.   She is very smart and has a lot of heart.  So, we should not just judge her by her looks.



Meg


With Meg, I go back to I Won't Say I'm In Love as it really lets the audience get into her psyche and understand why she acts, the way she is.  She has a tough exterior  but inwardly, she is scared and fragile. And not as tough as she may appear, when she is around other people. Quite an interesting look into this character and how she thinks and feels.   For that reason, I have to give this round to...


Meg




















The Film Factor (The Final Round)



This is it, The Film Factor, which character works better in her respective film.  They are all tied up and this round will determine the winner.  Let's get started.



Jessica Rabbit


Jessica works quite well in her film, when she is on screen, she owns it and commands the scene.  Your attention goes to her and you want to see what she is going to do next.    She is such a captivating character that is very entertaining to watch as you want see where the film will go with her next.




Meg


Everything I said about Jessica, also applies to Meg when it comes to Film Factor.   Meg, in my opinion is the best character in her film. She also commands presence and attention.    So this basically boils down to which character does it better and while Meg is great, and she has plenty of Film Factor,  I think Jessica just owns her role more in her film and for that reason,   I have to give this round to...



Jessica Rabbit















The End Result!


I've gotta be honest, this was the toughest Vs., I've ever done.    Every category save for song almost ended in a tie,  this Vs. came very close to being the very first to end in a tie but by a score of 3 -2, Jessica takes the win.  Again, these are both great characters and I like them both equally. That is perhaps what made this Vs. so tough.   What's your take? Did the right woman win? Let me know in the comments. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment