Take A Look at Disney

9/5/13

Music Fridays # 104: Finishing Up Oz: The Great and Powerful Pt. 2





Hello and welcome back to Music Fridays and today, we can finally put Oz behind us as I conclude my look at the score from this film. With that out of the way, let's get this over with.





Bedtime /The Preparation Montage





It's interesting to note but I find this one to have a rather innocent childlike quality to it.  I don't know if this'll make any sense but I vision listening to this one while holding a snow globe of Oz.   It's not childlike because it's whimsical but rather because of how innocent it is.  Well, at least in the beginning then it becomes something more adult, almost parental.    Where I view the parent trying to protect their young child or in this case trying to protect China Girl. And notice how at the end, it gets rather loud and  vocal.   I find that plays back into the parent wishing to protect their young. Showing that they will do anything to save them.   I know I'm probably way off base here but this is what I get from it.


Call To Arms




For a piece called "Call To Arms",  this is a lot quieter then I was imaging but I like that. It has this rather adult and romantic flair to it of knowing that we are going  into battle.  Ah, there we go it picks up a little bit and you can feel the Ozians wearing their pride and they are ready to fight for The Wizard.



Destruction 




I'm honestly not sure what to make of this piece.  It is rather intense and spooky, yes but I think that other pieces that I've gone over in both previous Oz entries have done better.  The latter half is still a little spooky,  I think my problem with this one is it's too obvious that it's trying to be in your face about everything.




Oz:  The Great and Powerful




It's odd but I find this one to be both triumphant and spooky at the same time.  I honestly can't explain why I do and I wish I could elaborate but I don't know what else to say.



Fireworks/Witch Fight




Okay, as dorky as this is going to sound but when this one opened, I imagined a fireworks show at Disney World but as it went on, it became something bigger and better.  This one has this grand feeling of being so close to defeating the wicked sisters.



Time For Gifts





After our last two big numbers, it's nice to have a quieter piece and  this is a nice somber tone that captures the spirit of this moment rather well.  It feels like Oz in how happy, silly and whimsical it sounds.



End Credits 




And now we come to the end credits,  it's a nice melody of everything that we've heard prior to remind you of the fun times that were had in Oz and for just one last moment transport you back there.  We do have one more piece of music to look at.



Almost Home - Mariah Carey







Yeah, this sucks!!!!  Let me make something,  I don't like Mariah Carey.  To me, she doesn't sing, she just takes heavy breaths and this song....   I don't get the correlation to the film.  Almost Home is supposed to be about Oscar discovering who he truly is.  Well if so, this song is rather vague in that regard.   Yeah, just give me Danny Elfman's score any day of the week over this.




Well now,  I've completed my look at Oz: The Great and Powerful and I'm going to jump in my hot air balloon and leave Oz for a while and join me next week, when I take a look at songs from you. Yes, you'll find in the forums,  a request thread. It can be any Disney song, even if it has appeared on Music Fridays before.  You'll have until Wednesday to make your requests.  So start thinking and covers are allowed.   Peace! 

 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment