Take A Look at Disney

11/21/13

Music Fridays # 112: The Muppets (2011) Pt. 2 (With Infamous Jak)





Moviefan12:  Hello & welcome back to my special 2 Pt. look at the music of The Muppets (2011). Once again,  Maestro  of Muppets, Infamous Jak will be joining me today.  Let's begin.



Smells Like Teen Spirit







Moviefan12: Uh... uh... um, this is awkward.   You see I've never listened to any of Nirvana's music and this was the first time, I ever heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit".  So to me,  this just sounded like a bunch of random gibberish.  I didn't get the joke.   In part because as I said, I've never heard the original before.  Sorry, but it just doesn't seem like my type of music.  


Jak:   Whoever had the idea to do a Barbershop Quarter cover of Nirvana should get a raise. This was absolutely perfect for the movie as it is the exact sort of thing the original Muppet Show would have done. The highlight of this song is Beaker for me personally. Though I have to admit, every time I hear it I can’t help but wonder how they got Sam the Eagle to sing this song.



Forget You







Moviefan12:  OH MY GOD,  I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!  Whereas I'm not familiar with the previous song,  I love Forget You  (I'm probably one of the few that likes Forget You over F***K You)  and this just as Jak said up top is the kind of thing, the Muppets would do.   Honestly,  this is so funny and for a while, after I saw the film, this is the number, I would listen to the most because it had me bursting with laughter the most.  This number just puts a big grin on my face, each time I listen to it.  This number is best summed up by saying "Play It Again!"  


Jak:  Like the Moopets version of Rainbow Connection, this is one of the tracks that I think does its job well enough, but isn't one of the songs I ever really listen to. Have to admit, whenever I have my iPod on shuffle it always throws me for a loop whenever it comes on because I’m expecting the original.


Rainbow Connection  (2011 Version)  







Moviefan12:  I won't lie,  this made me cry.  While this number cannot match the beauty of the original, it comes mighty close and the idea of including all The Muppets coming together to sing what is their equivalent to "When You Wish Upon A Star"  (albeit better),  just makes you warm and fuzzy.  And it takes you back to those simpler times of childhood, when things didn't seem so hard.   




Jak:  While I always considered the original Rainbow Connection a classic, I never quite understood why so many people said it was their favorite Muppet song. But after seeing the 2011 film, this changed. While I still wouldn’t call it my favorite song by them it’s a close second now. I think sometimes you need to hear songs in a different way to fully appreciate them. It was certainly true for me with this one.


The Whistling Caruso






Moviefan12:  Okay, that IS COOL!!!!!!   With this moment,  I just felt proud for Walter as he preformed.  




Jak:   Dang, Walter can really whistle.



Life's A Happy Song (Finale)




Moviefan12:  It makes so much sense to bookend with this song as it brings the story full circle  and again, this number just feels you with hope and joy.  Letting you know that everything is going to be okay.  Well that is if you aren't Jack Black or Tex Richman but other then that,  yeah, Life's A Happy Song.  


Jak: This is my favorite song on the soundtrack. Maybe it’s because it has more of the Muppet cast on it, or maybe it’s because it doesn’t break in the middle, but I just like the Finale version better than the one we hear earlier in the film. Every time I hear it I always have a giant grin on my face and have to replay it right away.


Manha Manha





Moviefan12:   This number is just so much fun but this is a classic song that has been with the Muppets forever that is just so much fun and I'll admit that  I do "Doo Doo" part, when I'm feeling stressed to calm myself down and it works.


Jak:  Is there anything new that can be said about this song? It’s quite possibly the catches earworm ever written and is just fun. Perfect way to end the movie and soundtrack with. Mahna Mahna



Moviefan12:  Well, there you have it.  Thus concludes our look at this great soundtrack.   This film's music is such a key component in what made it fun and made you know that the Muppets were in good hands.   If you haven't already, do yourself and go pick up this soundtrack.    










No comments:

Post a Comment