Take A Look at Disney

2/3/14

Aladdin Week: Top 6 Aladdin Moments





Hello  &  welcome back to A Look at Disney.   And it's February 3rd,   what does that mean?   It's my birthday.   And that means it's time for the annual  Birthday Theme Week.   If you've followed A Look at Disney for any particular length of time, you may know that since 2012,   I have done a theme week for my birthday. Starting with Dumbo Week in 2012 an Scouting Week in 2013.  And this week, we go to Agrabah.



Now, we are starting this week  by counting down my Top 6 favorite moments of this street rat,  diamond in the rough.  That's a nicer way of putting it.  Now,  if you've read any of Moments lists in the past,  you'll know that I usually like to focus on moments that come from the character's film.  I've made exceptions such as for Belle by including a moment from the play and for Timothy Q. Mouse by including a deleted moment and as you'll see with # 6,  I'll be doing the same thing here.   With that out of the way, let's begin.  






I will forever lament the loss of this beautiful song.   No joking around, this is my favorite Aladdin song,  I love it more then any of the songs that made it into the movie and it is one of my all time favorite songs.   Not  just Disney but one of my all time favorite songs.   You can feel that Aladdin wants to try and make his mom proud but he doesn't know how and he just views himself as a loser because he doesn't  he can be the son that his parents want him to be.  And  I  know a lot of young boys have felt this way and I understand why it was cut.  As it was too hard for the team to move on after Howard Ashman passed but thankfully,  this song  is getting new life in the stage adaption for Broadway  (I'll be covering that tomorrow).   Great  song, that sadly got cut but it is now getting a second life.    Let's move on.   



5.  Taking Jasmine To The Doctor






Aladdin: [saving Jasmine from an irate merchant] Thank you, kind sir. I'm so glad you found her. I've been looking all over for you.
Princess Jasmine: [whispering] What are you doing?
Aladdin: [whispering] Just play along.
Farouk: You, uh, know this girl?
Aladdin: Sadly, yes. She is my sister. She's a little crazy.
Farouk: She said she knew the SULTAN!
Aladdin: [gesturing to Abu] She thinks the *monkey* is the sultan.
Princess Jasmine: [bowing to Abu] Oh, wise sultan, how may I serve you?
[Abu mutter gibberish]
Aladdin: Tragic, isn't it? But, no harm done. Now, come along, sis. Time to go see the doctor.
Princess Jasmine: [to a camel] Oh, hello, doctor. How are you?
Aladdin: [gritting his teeth] No, no, no, not that one.



I  had to have at least one funny moment on this list and I had to go with this one.  I don't know why  but out of all,  Aladdin's moments from the film,  this to me is the funniest.   At the same time,   I like how he is willing to put his life on the line to protect Jasmine, who at this point, he didn't even know.  That is awesome and  if I were doing a Jasmine,  it'd be higher on her list.   Because she does so well at playing dumb.   It's a fun little moment but as I said,  I like it because it shows how willing Al is to put his life on the line for others.











You'll notice a lot of musical moments on my lists lists like these and this one is no exception as it  shows who Aladdin  is.  He's a good kid, that just happens to be down on his luck and is scraping to get by.   Take this line.

I steal only what I can't afford.
That's everything


Upon  repeat listens, that becomes tragic as it shows that the only way that Al can support himself is by what seeing right here.  Sure,  this is played for laughs and it is an enjoyable song that makes light of a serious situation.   It's so interesting to take an adult look at songs like these and see them differently.  That or I'm looking way too deep into this.   Still,   this is a fun moment that does serve as a great introduction to Aladdin.  Though,  I still  do think  I'm  onto something with how I view the lyrics.



3.    Aladdin  Gives Up His Bread













This and my second moment go hand in hand.   Again  this moment like the moment with Jasmine  shows that he is ultimately a good person that just happened to be dealt shitty cards in life.  It's not his fault that his life and like this and he does wish that it could be better. But that's more for the second moment.  This one little act of kindness where Aladdin  is willing to give up his bread to these two kids that also had nothing to eat makes my heart grow at how good a person, Al is.  Because again, he is willing to put his needs aside and take care of those that may be worse off then him.   It was a small but noble gesture for Al to do this.


2.  One Jump Ahead (Reprise)













Now  as I mentioned up top, in the 3rd slot, this and  that moment do kinda go together.  Now,  this   is a great quiet moment that introduces to the real Aladdin and in many respects,  this is " Al's I Want" number.   He  just dreams of having a better life. And how,  he  feels that people  only view him by his label in life and not who he is.   As  Aladdin say,  there is so much more to him.  And  this song  is a great insight into  who he is.


1.  Aladdin Frees Genie













As soon as I came up with this list,  I knew that this had to be my # 1.   Why is that?  Again,  I think this goes back to what we've seen throughout this list with Aladdin.  He is willing to put  the feelings of others before himself.  He promised Genie that he would free him and he keeps to his promise.  I'm not saying that Al had it easy.  Far from it as we'll see in the movie review but in the end,  he made the right decision and the one that he knew would make Genie, the most happy.  And that is something that I can applaud as it shows how much Genie meant to Aladdin that he was willing to do this.  That is awesome.


Well,  there you have  it.  My Top 6 Aladdin Moments.  What are some of your favorite Aladdin moments?  Tell me in the comments.  Join me tomorrow as I continue Aladdin Week  by giving you guys a follow up to an article from Theater Week as I go over My Thoughts on Aladdin coming to Broadway.


2 comments:

  1. My favourite has to be when he outwits Jafar and uses his own greed for power against him. It's the perfect moment where we see why Aladdin is such a great character: He's not solely brawn, but also uses his brains as well to think on his feet and get himself out of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another great moment as well and it does a great job of showing his wits.

      Delete