Take A Look at Disney

2/3/14

Aladdin Week: My Thoughts on Aladdin Coming To Broadway (A Follow-Up)





Hello  & welcome back to A Look at Disney and back to Aladdin Week.  Back during my Theater Week event,  I wrote up an article about Aladdin coming to Broadway and we are close to it opening as it'll debut in March.  And  I'm excited. Of course,  I'm always excited at the prospect of a new musical but this is based on a childhood favorite of mine.   This show is going to be housed in the theater right across from Newsies, the Hyperion.  The former home to Mary Poppins.   Let's start with this a look at our Aladdin, Adam Jacobs.





Not bad,  I can buy him as Aladdin but surprisingly, the fez doesn't look as  cool I thought it would  in real life. (How come they never sold Aladdin hats at the Disney Parks? I would've bought one)  Ah well.  Now what about Abu, well, he's not in the show.  I don't know why but for some reason, they cut out Abu and replaced him with friends for Al, named  Omar, Babkak, and Kassim.  





I don't know, how  I feel about this,  I guess Abu is an okay character to get rid of and to be fair, the stage version at Disney's California Adventure (we'll be covering the music of that show, this Friday) doesn't include Abu either.  I guess he might be hard to pull off but I find that hard to believe with the puppets that were done in The Lion King. Different show though.  Though, the best casting news, they got an original cast member from the film to reprise his role.  Jafar is back.  Yes, that's right,  Johnathan Freeman, the voice of Jafar will bring life to Jafar onstage.  THAT IS SO COOL!!!!!    Doesn't hurt that he is a veteran theater actor and he has worked with Disney in the past such as playing Grimbsy in the stage production of The Little Mermaid.






Now, there is one change I've seen rumored about in the theater circles and that is Iago is no longer, a parrot but rather a human lackey.  And that's an odd change, if you ask me. And from the clips, I've seen of  this new Iago,  he reminds me less of Iago and more of LeFou.  I think they are going with the film's original idea, where Iago was supposed to be British but he doesn't really have an accent here and while it is hard to do that voice,  I feel like getting rid of his sarcastic nature altogether completely changes the character.  Still, this doesn't deter my excitement at the prospect of this opening.  But you want to know the big reason, I'm excited about this musical.  Some of the cut songs that Howard Ashman wrote for the film before his passing are being worked into the play such as Proud of Your Boy.  


YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm sorry but that is one of my all time favorite Disney songs and my all time favorite cut song and the fact this song will finally have a home is so good to hear.  And Jafar is going to get one of his villain songs back with Why Me?  A video of Johnathan Freeman singing it has already been released.  That was so cool to hear.  Going back to  Proud of Your Boy,  just makes me so happy to see such a beautiful song get the spotlight it deserves.  Now, if there is one lesson, this show can take from Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular is let Genie improvise.   Seriously,  letting Genie come up with jokes like that will make the show special.   And funny and it will also be true to the character.  Who'll be played by James Monroe Inglehart.





And it does seem as though that Carpet  will be included at least for A Whole New World.   Here's Jasmine played by Courtney Reed.




At the end of the day,  I'm beyond excited at the prospect of this musical.   I can wait to pick up the cast recording.  I haven't been this excited about a new musical since Newsies.  Okay, that wasn't that long ago but it's a new Disney musical.   Two of my favorite things.  How can I not be excited?  What are your thoughts on Aladdin coming to Broadway?  Do you think this will be a diamond that shines brightly or do you think it should be left in the Cave of Wonders?  Let me know in the comments.  Join me tomorrow for the review of the film that started it all.  Join me for the main event as I take a look at...


Aladdin






No comments:

Post a Comment