Take A Look at Disney

1/5/14

Sofia Week: Top 6 Sofia Moments




Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney and welcome to our first theme week of 2014.  Starting today, I'm kicking off Sofia Week.  An entire week dedicated to the Disney Junior show and a show that is highly enjoyable.  Now,  if you followed A Look at Disney,  you'd know that I did a bunch of Sofia reviews last year.   Now today, we are beginning with what I consider Sofia's best moments.  Now at first,  I wanted to countdown Sofia's cutest moments because she is super adorable and one of my favorite princesses but that'd be a disservice to this young princess.  With that out of the way, let's begin.  



6.  Sofia Becomes A Mermaid - The Floating Palace




As I mentioned in my review of The Floating Palace,  I loved it when Sofia was transformed into a mermaid after helping save Oona.  It's a small moment but seeing Sofia as a mermaid was really cool and the transformation was handled quite well and I do admit that I perhaps could've chosen a moment that attributed to Sofia's character better in this episode...  And I have as The Floating Palace will make another appearance on this list.


5.  Sofia's  Croak  - The Amulet and The Anthem 




It's funny, the first time I saw this episode, I DETESTED it.   Because I felt the moral was a bit skewed.  For some background in this episode, Sofia is chosen to sing the Enchancia Anthem and  she is excited and starts to brag to her best friends about it.  But her amulet, which gives her powers such as being able to talk to animals or turn her into a mermaid, can also curse her, when  she does something bad.  Now,  I went back and re-watched this episode, last Thursday and it was a lot better then the first time I watched it and the idea of Sofia croaking, each time she tries to sing is a clever way to get the point across that bragging is not always good and that even people that mean well, can mess up.  I still maintain that this is the weakest episode of the series as it punishes it's lead character for bragging, while her big sister, Amber is defined by bragging. Also for those wondering about Belle in that shot.   That's another power of Sofia's amulet, it connects her to all the past princesses that come to her in her time of need.  And Belle was brought in to teach Sofia that sometimes saying sorry isn't enough.  It works well, I don't want to say too much because I'll be going over the princess songs, this Friday.




4.  Sofia's Willingness To Give Up Her Amulet To Help Her Sister - Princess Butterfly




Speaking of Sofia's sister, Amber.  Amber got her first solo episode, this past Halloween.  And it was a well done episode and to explain, Amber's character for my readers.  To my fellow Bronies,  she's a bit like Rarity but without the talent for fashion and that comes into play here as you see Sofia and Amber's school is holding a costume contest, something that they do every year.  Amber has always won but the rules were changed to that the children had to make their own costume.  Amber isn't very good at this and decides to go to the villain of the series, Cedric to get something that'll make a costume appear magically and here is where her butterfly costume comes from but the day after Halloween, she can't take it off.  And this is one of Cedric's many attempts to get Sofia's amulet.  And after Amber confesses this to Sofia,  Sofia is more then willing to give Amber, her amulet.  Which is her most treasured item, showing that even though she made a promise to never take the amulet off and protect it, she is more then willing to give up her most precious item to help her sister. That's pretty awesome of little Sofia.    Now this episode along with many others from the series was adapted into book format but it looks as though, it ended differently.







3.   Helping Cedric With His Magic Show To Impress the Two Kings -  Cedric's Apprentice



Now this is another cute moment here and yes, that little lizard is Sofia.  In this episode, Sofia has to learn magic for school and isn't very good at it, so she goes to Cedric, who is a sorcerer to help her.  And at first, he just uses it to try and steal Sofia's amulet.  (We'll go over why he wants that tomorrow!)  Now, Cedric isn't a very good magician but there is one spell from his early days that he was good at and that was turning people into lizards.  He was supposed to be working on an invisibility spell but it doesn't work.  And during the third act of the show, Cedric after Sofia mentions  that he is a great magician as they have a visiting king, who brags about their magician.  Sofia, sees that Cedric is nervous about preforming and is willing to have herself turned into a lizard to help Cedric.  That was very sweet of Sofia and shows to me that she knows when the chips are down, she is willing to get up and help them.  And she was willing to have herself turned into a lizard.  Wow,  this girl has been turned into a lizard and a mermaid.  I wonder what other transformations, they have in store.  Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't post a picture of Sofia in her apprentice outfit.





That is just too cute and the Disney Wiki points out and even I thought this that her apprentice looks like what Mickey wears in Fantasia.

  


2.  Sofia Volunteering To Rescue Oona From The Sea Monster - The Floating Palace





Now as I mentioned up top,  I'd have another Floating Palace moment and here we are.  You see,  Cedric as a Sea Monster kidnaps Oona,  Sofia's new mermaid and Sofia volunteers to the mermaid queen to save her daughter and her new friend.  In part to save her family from being harmed by the mermaid queen and also to prove that mermaids can trust humans.  She is only given an hour to do so but what I like here is that Sofia is willing to put herself on the line to save someone she just met and to prove that the human race isn't all bad.  Plus, Oona is awesome and I hope that we get more of her in the future.  







And honestly, after Lucinda,  Oona is my favorite one shot character. 






1. Not Ready To Be A Princess - Once Upon A Princess  



My # 1 choice comes from the pilot movie, Once Upon A Princess.  I've gushed about this song in the past and well,  it's hard for me to not do that as this song is the moment that I fell in love with this series and came to adore little Sofia.  This for the longest time was my favorite song from the series and it's still in my top 3.  It's my favorite moment from the entire pilot movie because it make Sofia feel like a real character and the stress that being thrust into this life feels real and like how a 7 year old might react,  being uplifted from their old life to a completely new life. 



So, now we've gone over my Top 6 Sofia Moments and these are the big reasons, I like her so much.  She feels like a real kid and most of all, I love her never give up attitude.   Join me tomorrow as I go into full detail on Sofia's amulet also known as...


The Amulet of Avalor 

  






No comments:

Post a Comment