Take A Look at Disney

3/20/14

Music Fridays # 124: Top 12 Sofia The First Songs of Season 1 (Sofia Countdown Pt. 2)





Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney and back to my Sofia The First countdown as I countdown my Top 14 songs of Season 1. With that out of the way, let's once again hop on a flying horse presumably named Minimus and travel to the land of Enchancia.   Now before I begin,  let's set up some ground rules.  Obvious rule,  only songs from season 1 and I say this because the second soundtrack, Songs From Enchancia included a song from season 2 and only songs that appeared in actual episodes/specials.   Thus  that rules out the theme song, Rise and Shine,  and Royal Fun.   Now, that we have everything out of the way, let's begin.






12 .  Bigger Is Better  - Tea For Too Many













Coming in at # 12 is the song that perfectly captures the personality of Sofia's big sis, Amber from the episode Tea For Too Many, Bigger Is Better.  In this episode,  Sofia is chosen by her school to host a party and her sister has done it in the past and likes to go big.  The reason, this song works so well is because Amber is a character that perfectly fits this song, she is a big and boastful personality that only wants the best and this song in it's presentation is big, loud and over the top just like Amber.  This song in a nutshell is Amber's theme song because it perfectly captures who she is and I like the big feeling of this number as it feels like a showstopping number that just gets you excited for what is coming next.


11.  I'll Get My/That Amulet - The Amulet of  Avalor














Now this is a song that has grown on me for over time as I always liked this episode but at first felt  the song was lacking in some regards  but I like how  we hear from both Sofia and Cedric why the amulet is so important to them for Sofia,  it's important to her because it connects her to her friends and I find this to be a really a sweet sentiment while on the other end of the spectrum, we hear why Cedric wants and it's just to prove that he can be a good magician.  I like how this half a sentimental song on Sofia's part and that is my preferred section of the song as there is a lot of emotion and weight on her part and on Cedric's end, we get an pretty decent villain song, that makes me wonder why Cedric has only sung twice in the entire series.  Now I'll admit that while I like Cedric's portion of the song, I do think it isn't as strong as Sofia's but it is still very good and I'm just baffled that this song was excluded from both of the Sofia soundtracks.  I guess it's not one of the more popular ones but at least both soundtracks include almost every other song from the show unlike the MLP soundtrack, which took 3 years for them to release and only cherry picked songs from seasons 1 - 2. Sorry,  little tangent there but this is a very good song nonetheless.


10.  Wassailia - Holiday In Enchancia













Coming in at # 10 from the  Christmas   Wassailia episode is  the song that celebrates this fictional holiday that basically is Christmas and I like it because it feels  me with the holiday cheer and joy that I want from Christmas songs and it has a feeling of being a Christmas classic that I'll enjoy listening to for years to come as it'll just get me into the holiday spirit and I love how it covers the various aspects of the holiday from parties to presents and spending time with family.  And  this probably has my favorite Amber singing moment, when she sings about getting what they've been hoping for.  There is just something about the way, her voice actress, Darcy Rose Byrnes belts the word, hoping that is impressive.


9.  The Simple Life - The Baker King













I may be incorrect but I believe that this is so far, the only time that we've heard Sofia's mom and dad sing.   As mentioned in my episode list, in this episode, King Roland makes a wish for a simple life as a baker and this song is all about how he thinks his new life as a baker will be a breeze compared to being a king while his family isn't so convinced.  Again, the big thing that sells me on this one is Roland's singing voice.  And Sofia's mom isn't too bad either.  This is just a fun song and I love the contrast with how things aren't going as easily as Roland thought they would and I love his line about needing to make the pastries better looking.  Just something about the way that line is delivered elicits a chuckle and a smirk from me.

8.   Perfect Slumber Party - The Big Sleepover














Coming in at # 8 is  Perfect Slumber Party from The Big Sleepover.  This again is a great showcase for Amber and it shows what she was like early in the series in how she wasn't willing to give people like her a chance and how she had an idea of what a party should be like  as it should be prim, proper & serious whereas Sofia wants to show her big sis that parties don't always have to be that way and that people shouldn't be expected to act the same at a party and just be who they are.   Though, the big reason that this song on here is that it's just so much fun.


7.   The Love We Share -  The Floating Palace


















Coming in at #  7 from  The Floating Palace is The Love We Share.   First off,  I'm a bit biased as Jodi Benson just has a fantastic voice and it is always a treat to get to hear to sing as Ariel  and  I just love the message of this song that even though, we may come from different lands,  the love that we share for our families is something that connects all of us together and Sofia is able to use that to  get help in saving her mermaid friend.   It's a very sweet song and probably the second best princess song on the show.


6.   Bring My Best Friend Back  - Finding Clover 















This  is probably the second saddest song in the entire series in my opinion .  In this episode, Clover, Sofia's pet bunny runs away from home as Sofia is getting too busy to spend time with him and starting to feel unloved and this song is just about the love and friendship that these two have for one another and how they'll do anything for each other and without one another in each others' lives,  it just feels empty and incomplete without their best friend.  Something is just missing from their lives.


5.   Cedric The Great  - Cedric's Apprentice 













Man, this song is just so much fun.  This is easily one of my favorite villain songs. Something that this show is seriously lacking in.  And that's a shame because when they can do a great villain song like this,  it just  makes you want more.  I just love how Cedric really gets into the song and his idealistic future, where he is the king and he will finally have respect that he so desires.


4.   Good Little Witch - The Little Witch



 










For the longest time, this was my favorite episode but that is no longer the case but this still easily one of the best songs from the entire show and it's message is simple and twofold.  If you are mean and play pranks, people probably won't want to be friends with you but at the same time,  when people try to amend their mistakes, give them a chance and that is what we get here with the adorable little Lucinda as she goes about apologizing and fixing her mistakes and undoing all of her hexes and tricks.  It's just a fun song with a good message.


3.  True Sisters - Once Upon A Princess












For our next two songs, we go all the way back to the pilot film and with # 3, we get a visit from Cinderella as she tries to help Sofia to subvert the relationship that she eventually had with her sisters. With Sofia and Amber, at such a young age, Cindy knows that there is still time to stop what became of the relationship with her and her sisters.  That is surprisingly mature and rather serious for a preschool show and kinda sad that Cinderella regrets the fact that she could never have a real relationship with her sisters because as she says, their jealously hardened their hearts but at the same time, Cindy according to this show's continuity never extended the olive branch either and regrets that mistake.  I'd  like to think that after this, Cindy tried to make amends with her sisters and set things right.


2.  Not Ready To Be A Princess - Once Upon A Princess  














This is the song that won me over and convinced me that there was something special about Sofia.  Because as I mentioned way back in my review of the pilot, I liked the fact that they showed that Sofia was nervous and scared about being a princess because that is a big adjustment for a kid to go from living in a village with her mom, who was just a shoemaker to becoming royalty.  She was scared because she didn't think that she'd be able to fit in and that is realistic.  Sofia's reaction wasn't  "Oh my gosh, I'm  a princess that is so cool".  It was more "I'm a princess now, that is so scary".   And I get that because this is a huge adjustment to throw on a kid and this song perfectly shows how I think might react, they'd feel uncomfortable and wouldn't know what to do.  When I first heard this song, it was just appreciation for treating this scenario realistically, at least in my opinion but over time it grew into genuine love for this song and what it was doing.


1.  I Belong/Anything  -  The Princess Test/Just One of The Princes




 


Coming in at # 1, we have our only tie and the more I thought about it,  I had to put these two songs together as while they may not be the ones I listen to the most, they are the ones that best define who Sofia is as a character and going back to my Sofia Week event from January, one of my biggest regrets was neglecting to mention the song "I Belong" on my Top 6 Sofia Moments list as that should've been # 1.  With  I Belong,  we are hearing how Sofia is still trying to adjust to life as a princess and in essence prove that she can fit and how she thinks  being a princess means more than just wear fancy dresses and tiaras.  This reminds me of how DisneyOtoko mentioned in his Sofia review that Sofia already counts as a princess to him.  Him saying that comes from how Sofia is promoted as a princess in training but at least in my eyes, Sofia has the qualities that I look for in a Disney princess, she is kind hearted, always tries to do the right thing,  puts others before herself and is willing to help people, no matter how difficult the situation,  and is determined.   Which  brings me to Anything from the first proper episode of the series in which Sofia wanted to try out for her school's flying horse team but everyone pretty much told her no because that's a boys thing and not something girls do but Sofia wanted to prove that girls can do anything that boys can do and this song in my opinion captures that perfectly and also captures Sofia's never  give up attitude, no matter the situation and she isn't going to let anyone tell her no, just because she is a girl and wants to prove that she can do well, anything and  sure, she may need a little help from her friends but give her time and she'll shut the naysayers up and again prove that she can do anything.  



There you have it ,   my Top 12 Sofia Songs.  I hope that you've enjoyed this special Music Fridays and join me next week for a the Music Fridays that you chose as I  go over Frozen Covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment