Take A Look at Disney

8/24/14

The Little Mermaid In The Parks





Hello  & welcome back to A Look at Disney and today, we are heading back to the parks as we go under the sea,   where's everything better to take a look at  the various ways that The Little Mermaid is represented in  the various  Disney  Parks.   I gotta be honest,  I am really excited for this one as  Mermaid  is one  of  my  Top 3  Favorite  Animated  Disney  films.   I've  been  a fan  of it since  I was a little kid.  Ariel is a character that  has always been special to me  because before Rapunzel came along, she was my favorite princess character.   Which is  why  one certain attraction that I'll be talking about  just  left me infuriated because  of how  bad it was.  Some  of you  may know, which one  I'm referring to as  I did  a Top 6  on it during  the  A Look at Disney World summer event from last year.  Thankfully though, there are quite  a few  other attractions that feature Ariel.   With that out of the way,  let's begin.


Voyage  of The Little Mermaid  -  Disney's  Hollywood  Studios













THIS....  THIS  show,  I HATE THIS  show with  a passion. Okay  some set  up,    for this  attraction  I first experienced  this attraction during  my last visit to Disney World  and this was around the time that  Ariel's Undersea Adventure  was going to open but it wouldn't be open until  after  my  trip.   I was in desperate need  of a Mermaid  fix at  Disney World, when we went  to Hollywood Studios and I saw this and thought it might suffice but  I was wrong,  oh  so very wrong.   This  attraction  left me  disappointed  and no,  it wasn't   just  because  I was  pining for  the  Mermaid  ride.  This  show was just pathetic.   It  relied on clips from the movie to tell the story,  Ariel  only appears as a human once,  Eric  isn't seen until the finale.    This  attraction was atrocious and  just thinking about leaves me angry. This  is  one  of the worst attractions  that  I ever had the displeasure to bear witness to.  Is there anything that I like about this show?  Uhm...













But  let's  move on  to something  that   I have  actually seen and heard good things about and I am excited about.


The Little Mermaid:  Ariel's Undersea  Adventure/Under The Sea:  Journey  of  The Little Mermaid  - Disney's  California  Adventure/Magic  Kingdom





Now,  this ride  is  unique   in that  it came a little  later than planned.   You see there were  plans for build this ride back in the '90s  for both Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Paris and  there were even plans to include it  in Hong Kong  Disneyland but the version that they wanted to build, which  is referred to as  The Little  Mermaid: Under The Sea  Adventure Ride almost never happened and it seemed for years,  there would never be a true  Little Mermaid  ride at any Disney park  and people just have to settle with Voyage of The Little Mermaid to get their  Mermaid fix at a  Disney park, at least  state side.   Disney  was gracious  enough to include  a CGI   ride through animatic  of  the original  concept  for this ride on the 2006  Platinum release.   Which you can see here.   But then  in  2011,  The Little Mermaid: Ariel's  Undersea Adventure opened   at  Disney's  California Adventure  and one year later, it  opened  at the Magic Kingdom.  Now  alas,  I still not  have  had the chance to go on this ride as of yet but  I really want to go on it, the next time I go back to Magic Kingdom.  To me,  it's  just so awesome to finally  have a a true Mermaid attraction in the Disney parks and  they  did  a great job  on the characters.





And  also  I love how the facade for the Magic Kingdom  version is  Eric's castle.


  
 

And  another feature  I like  is  there is a ship  outside  the  Magic Kingdom version with Ariel  as the main decoration.



 I  think that's  neat and oh, Scuttle  also appears  outside the ride in a game  for kids , where they help him to look for  his  lost treasures.











Not  the biggest  fan  of  Scuttle  but  this  is a cute  little  thing for kids,  now  let's  head  on over to  Tokyo DisneySea to take a look at Mermaid Lagoon.


Mermaid Lagoon  - Tokyo DisneySea















Mermaid  Lagoon  is a port-of-call  (land)   at  Tokyo  DisneySea  and   as  you  may  have  noticed,   the   exterior  facade  is made to look  like Triton's  Palace.   And from  what I have read,   this  land is geared  towards  younger kids  and  all of the rides   and attractions  are inside  and it tries  to give the impression  of feeling that you  are  underwater.    Some   rides  to note  are Scuttle's Scooters,   Flounder's  Flying Fish Coaster.






Though  perhaps  one  of my  favorite  things  is found  in Ariel's Playground, which is designed to look like where Ariel kept her treasures.












And here it is,   they  included the Prince Eric statute.   I just love that touch.
















I wonder how many people go up to that and recreate this scene
















Now  there  are also  stores and restaurants  here as well such  as   Kiss  de Girl  Fashions  and Sebastian's Calypso Kitchen.   




For  some reason,  the Sebastian's  Calypso Kitchen  sign  reminds  of that Sebastian  concert VHS  that came out in the '90s.  I  wish  knew that was called.  Mermaid  Lagoon  also  features  Ariel's Grotto,  the common  meet n greet place for the  princess.  Well,  it used to be at Disneyland and according to the Disney World  website,  it's still there as well but  I've heard other rumors and  the meet and greet place  has closed.   Actually,   upon  further inspection thanks to Yesterland.com,  it's  just changed from what it was before Journey of The Little Mermaid opened.


Ariel's Grotto  -  Disneyland (formerly),  Magic Kingdom   Tokyo DisneySea


This  first  picture is how it appeared at  Disneyland




And  as for Disney World,  I went to the web site and verified it,  they  have it at the Magic  Kingdom according to the official  Disney World web site. 








And lastly,  here  it is at Tokyo DisneySea.




Okay, gotta say that after  how cool, everything else in Mermaid Lagoon looked, this is a bit of a letdown.  Oh, and apparently,  in Disneyland, the Grotto  was a part of Triton's  Garden.  Nice to see the king of the sea getting  some love.  Well at least  until  it became Pixie Hollow.


Triton's Garden  -  Disneyland




Now  once again thanks to Yesterland.com,  I learned about this and what's really cool is as you walked by, these statues  would quote  lines from the animated classic.



Triton: “Oh, Ariel. How many times must we go through this? You could’ve been seen by one of those barbarians! By… by one of those humans!”
Ariel: “Daddy, they’re not barbarians!”
Triton: “They’re dangerous. Do you think I want to see my youngest daughter snared by some fish-eater’s hook?”







Now, while this location  may be gone,   you can still meet  Ariel and the princesses at Disneyland,  now you just have to go to the Fantasy Faire

Fantasy Faire  - Disneyland




As you may  have noticed however unlike the Grotto,  here you will meet  Princess Ariel  in her human form.  Now  let's  head  on over to California Adventure for a look at  Ariel's  Grotto.  (That's  not a typo).


Ariel's Grotto  -  California Adventure


 

The  Ariel's  Grotto  at  California Adventure  is a restaurant and  it appears from the menu that it serves seafood.  Does that really surprise anyone  and  it looks from the website that Disney Princesses  show up here on occasion.  Makes sense and I've also read that  this  is a good place to see  World  of Color  and that they even  have reserved  seating for that particular show.  Speaking  of which,  let's  go take  in that show, right  now.


World   of Color  - California  Adventure

 

Man,  the more  I see of this show,  the more I want to see it but  kinda  hard to get out there, when you live on the East Coast but this show  just looks so cool with all of the effects.   Now  let's  head  on over to  Neverland   and  to their   Mermaid  Lagoon as we take   flight  with Peter Pan.



Peter  Pan's  Flight   -  Disneyland/Magic  Kingdom/Disneyland Paris/Tokyo  Disneyland




As  you  fly  over   Mermaid  Lagoon  in  Peter  Pan's  Flight, you can spot,    our  little  Mermaid  there.  I love it when  Disney does this.   I love  these  little  nods.  I'm  going have to keep my eye  out for this one, when I finally go on Peter Pan's  Flight.   Now  let's  to Small World.



It's  A Small World  - Disneyland



On the Disneyland  version of Small World,  you'll find  Ariel  along with many other  Disney  characters.    It's cute and  they did a good  job making  her look  like one of the dolls  one the ride and fitting her  and the other characters into the Mary Blair  aesthetic of the attraction.  Now  let's head back to Disney World.



Mickey's Phillarmagic  -   Magic  Kingdom


Even  before  you enter the showroom  for this attraction,  you'll get an Ariel reference, just by looking at the posters on the wall promoting the upcoming shows.   


Who  (Besides DisneyOtoko) can name all of Ariel's Sisters?












Now  in  the actual  show  proper,  Donald Duck steals the Sorcerer's  Hat  and it ends  up taking him through famous musical numbers from classic  Disney films such as Part of Your World.



Okay  that  is too cute  and  perhaps the image of Ariel  that stays with me, the most from this particular attraction is this one...




Now  let's  take  a look at some  parades that  Ariel  can be found in, starting with one that is no  longer around and  while  it was there during  one of my trips to  Disney World,  I didn't see it as  I was off doing something else with my uncle that day.  


Disney Stars and Motor Cars Parade  -  Disney  Hollywood  (MGM)  Studios




Disney  Stars  and Motor  Cars  was  a parade  where Disney  characters  would  be in cars  themed  to their respective  film  such as Ariel's  having coral, a seashell and a giant  seahorse in front and notice, Sebastian and  Flounder  on the side  on my favorite mermaid.   Now  let's   stay  in  Disney  World and head to  the Magic Kingdom  for the newest  parade there.




Festival  of Fantasy  -  Magic  Kingdom













Okay,  I think  that  this   may  be my  favorite  the  Ariel  floats   thus  far.   Something  about  the look  is   just   so vibrant  and eye popping.  It  works really well in getting your attention.   Now  let's  back  to  Disneyland  for  Mickey's  Soundsational  Parade.


Mickey's  Soundsational  Parade  -   Disneyland































The   idea  for this  parade  is that it's  based  around  Disney  music  and  thus   many  different  songs are featured   and here, we see   Ariel  atop the float  known  as Sebastian's  Calypso  Carnival.   This   float  looks   very  festive   and  that  fits  with  the motif  that they  were going  for with this float.   Now  let's  head  on over  to  Disneyland  Paris  for the  Once  Upon  A Dream  Parade



Once  Upon  A Dream  Parade   - Disneyland  Paris



 


Now,  I'll freely  admit that  my search  on this  left me confused as I found an article about  a parade by this same  name  in Disneyland Park  (California),  yet,  every  picture  result  was for the Paris parade.  So,  if  anyone  has any  knowledge  or pictures  of the Disneyland  parade of this name, that'd be great  because I could  find very little on it. As for this  one,  it's  kinda  cool to see  as  she  is one  of the best  Disney villains.   Now,  we  have  one  more thing to look at here  in  Disneyland  Paris.



Disney  Dreams   -  Disneyland  Paris


Form  what  I understand,  Disney  Dreams  is a nighttime  show exclusive    to    Paris   and  Captain  Hook  is trying to steal  Peter  Pan's  shadow  and he recruits  Ursula  to help  in this goal.     Now,  let's  take    a look at  one  of the most popular  Disney  shows.



Fantasminc -  Disneyland,  Hollywood  Studios,  Tokyo  DisneySea




Ariel appears  in all versions   of   this classic  nighttime   show  and for a while,  in Disneyland,  so did Urusla  as a giant  float.


  



But  apparently,  the float  was  a  pain.



Originally, a twenty foot Audio-Animatronic Ursula float traveled around her segment in the show on the water, but the air constantly leaked from the blow-up tentacles, and the animatronic as a whole was a maintenance nightmare, so currently the character is only featured via animation projected onto water screens.  - DisneyWiki



The  water   screen  is  how I'm  most familiar with seeing Ursula  in this show.  






As  I've  only seen  the Hollywood  Studios  version and  they never had the giant float.      Also, it appears  in 2009  that   Floatsam and Jetsam  joined Ursula in Disneyland for this show.




Man,  those  must be hard to work.    However,  it appears  that  they  have not been  in the show  for a while.

They are portrayed using large puppets on jet-skis designed by Michael Curry, who has worked on numerous projects with Disney. A 34 foot long aluminum pontoon frame holds up the water-resistant fabric covering and is capable of pivoting similarly to a toy wooden snake to give it a slithering motion. They are frequently referred to as "Flotsam and Jet-ski" by Disney alumni. Recently, the duo disappeared and have not been seen for some time. Many presume it is due to technical issues. -  DisneyWiki







That's  a  shame  that they  haven't been in the show as they seem like a neat addition.    Now,  let's  move onto  one  of  the  most interesting things  at Magic Kingdom.




Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom  -  Magic  Kingdom  
















Sorcerers   of  The Magic  Kingdom  is a game, where  players  go through  Magic  Kingdom  stopping  Disney  villains  from getting their hands  on the  crystal  of The Magic Kingdom  and the villains  have been brought  back to life by Hades, who wants it. However  Ursula  plans  to double  cross the God of the Underworld.  And you fight them by going to various locations and  holding up cards, that can be used as attacks and one of the cards is an Ariel card.








I  played  this  game for  about  half-hour  on the last day of my  Disney World trip before my mom  got tired  of it and wanted to go on rides.  (Can't  say I blame  her)  but  I don't think I got this card.  I do think  I had the Rapunzel Hair Whip  card and the Lumiere card.  I can't remember, what exact cards  I had.   We're  almost  done.   After all of this park stuff,  let's  head to a hotel.


Art of Animation  -  Disney World





Yes,  the Art  of Animation  Resort  has  suites  based  on The Little Mermaid as seen here.  These  are the standard  suites  and perhaps, only second to Cars,  in the suites,  I'd want to stay in.   Even  the bathroom  is Mermaid  themed with an Ariel  shower curtain.



Though,  my  favorite  part  has to be  the  outside  decorations.















Something  even  cooler  in the  lobby,  you'll  find  a picture  of Ariel  signed by Jodi Benson  aka Ariel herself.

I wish I could've been there to meet her




And there is    also a picture of Ursula  signed b Pat Caroll,  the voice of Ursula.  




Okay,  I so  know  where I want to stay  the next time I go to Disney World.     Now, there is one last thing and I always  save these  for last as they  aren't park  related but it's still travel  related.   We're  taking a cruise  on the Disney Wonder.


Tritons -  Disney Wonder






Tritons  is  the main  restaurant  on the Disney Wonder and as you can see,  it's named after  Ariel's father and  I gotta say that  I really like  that mosaic back there.  What kind of food do the serve? Well, let's look at the menu. 


It  appears to fancy  food.   I can see that and I noticed duck  on the menu, at least twice.  Oh, and I guess I should bring this up but Ariel  is the  main statue  in the lobby of this ship.  








This  completes  my rather extensive look at the various  ways,  The Little  Mermaid can be found in the Disney Parks.  I'm sure,  I forgot something here or there  but  as I did my research this article grew to be one of the longest articles for this particular sub-series to date  and perhaps  one  of my  favorites.   I had no idea, there would be so much to cover.  I hope that you've enjoyed this article.   Now,  I'm  going to be a part of that world. 



No comments:

Post a Comment