Take A Look at Disney

2/11/16

Music Fridays # 169: We Love Disney Pt. 1






Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney and back to Music Fridays.  We Love Disney is a compilation album of Disney covers that was released last year. Though two of the covers are covers of Muppets songs that were made famous before they were bought by Disney but we'll let that slide.  I briefly covered one of the numbers from this album in my Hercules Covers Music Fridays, last week and starting today, I wish to take a look at the 15 tracks included on this album. With that out of the way, let's begin.



Friend Like Me -  Ne-Yo


 



I'll be honest and say that before seeing The Wiz Live, I didn't know much of Ne-Yo's discography and that is still true to an extent to this day but this is a truly fun take on this classic Robin Williams number that gives it a new life almost as a big band/swing number. Seriously, I could just picture people dancing to this number and getting down with it as this is really fun.



Part of Your World - Jessie J





Yeah, I have never heard of Jessie J and I don't know what to make of this cover.  Jodi Benson set such a high standard with this song that I find it hard for any version to top her take.  And yes, I know I should probably look at this song on it's own merits but I don't get any of the same emotion that I got from Ariel with this take.  This version ultimately feels lifeless.  There is no emotion to be found in this version, she's  just going through the motion of singing but doing anything with it.



Can You Feel The Love Tonight/Nants Ingonyama - Jason Derulo





Again, as with Jessie J,  this is the first I've heard of any of Jason Derulo's body of work. And I will admit that this was not I was expecting at all but I like it. Quite a bit, though the oh lord bit was rather corny.  His voice fits the song and he is delivering a really good take that stays true to the spirit of the original but also makes this a very fun take that has a very sweet delivery to it.







Rainbow Connection - Gwen Stefani






This song had two uphill battles as not only is there the Kermit The Frog version that is a classic song of Muppet discography as Willie Nelson nailed the perfect cover of this song and it can't be topped. As for this take, not bad.  I'll take it over the Jessie J Part of Your World as Gwen Stefani really does put some life into this number at first, I thought she sound whiny but I wasn't listening to the song correctly as the more it goes on,   she is showing a sense of wistfulness and yes, that is something that comes across in all versions of this song but it takes a while for Ms. Stefani's song to get the listener to understand that is what she's going for.





Zero To Hero - Ariana Grande







I know I just covered this last week during Hercules Week but hey, I'm looking at all the songs here and well, I love this cover. This may be in the running for my favorite Disney cover ever.  This cover is just so fun, it just puts you in such a good mood that you can't help but smile as you listen to it. Ariana Grande does such a fantastic job with this song as you can hear how much fun, she's having as she sings it.  This number is such a blast.



In A World of My Own/Very Good Advice -  Jhené Aiko





I don't remember this song. Apparently, it's from Alice In Wonderland and well, I don't think I can fairly judge this as a cover nor as a song because that snapping is really grating on my last nerves.  It is so ANNOYING!!!  The singing is fine and all but the snapping took me out of the song and made me actively hate part of this cover. Once that stops, it gets better but dear lord, that snapping drove me up the wall and has made it so that I'll never listen to this cover again.






Well, there you have it, Pt. 1 of my 2 Pt. look at We Love Disney.  Sorry to end on a down note, hopefully things pick back up, next week. Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment