Take A Look at Disney

2/25/16

Music Fridays # 170: We Love Disney Part 2






Hello & welcome back to A Look at Disney and after a 2 week hiatus, I return with my second part of my look at We Love Disney. With that out of the way, let's begin.




I Wan'na Be Like You - Fall Out Boy






 Now,  when I first heard this cover, it through me off as I'm not very familiar with Fall Out Boy and just the other night on the Disneyland 60 special, they performed their cover of this song.  And well, it's fun and does capture the spirit and joy of the song quite well but this new take was a bit jarring for me as it is really drastically different from the original.




Colors of The Wind - Tori Kelly





I was impressed by Ms. Kelly's take on Rainbow Connection on that same special and I must say that once again, I am impressed here. Her voice really fits the song and I find myself getting wrapped up in it. It's like a nice warm blanket, this song as it's really just comforting.  I think that I'll be returning to this one quite a bit in the future.




A Spoonful of Sugar - Kacey Musgraves






Yeah, I am not a fan of this cover. I'd never heard of this artist (That's the theme for this review, isn't it?) but apparently she won the show, Nashville Star and well, that explains the Country feel in the song but that's not my problem with this song.  It's her delivery, I feel like I'm being talked down to with this version of the song. As though, this song is treating people like Disney as though they are still kids.  Which yes, Disney does make me feel like a kid but there's a difference between feeling like a kid and being treated like one.  And the latter is how this song comes across.  The delivery feels very belittling.


Ev'rybody Wants To Be A Cat - Charles Perry







Oh, that's better.  A cover that actually shows some respect to it's listeners.  This cover is fun and I'm really enjoying this take here.  There really isn't much to say here as I really think that it speaks for itself.  Perry does a good job of really making this fun and enjoyable.



A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes - Jessie Ware





I like this version,  granted it doesn't stray too from how Cindy sang it in her movie but it has this nice classical feel to it that almost elevates the cover above the average fare. Ms. Ware gives the song, a sound of grace and dignity.  This is highly respectable cover of one of my favorite Disney songs from one of my favorite princesses.



Let It Go - Lucy Hale Ft. Rascal Flatts






I like Country music, I like Frozen, I like Let It Go, I like Rascal Flatts but.... I do not like this cover. Maybe it's the over saturation of Let It Go covers and I'm getting tired of them or maybe it's because Idina Menzel OWNED that song in Frozen but I've really yet to come across as Let It Go cover that I liked  and this isn't bad but this combo really doesn't seem to work.  I dunno but I'm normally okay with Country covers of Disney songs but this one really doesn't seem to work and I really do think that genre was mismatch for Let It Go. Maybe, that's not a good enough reason to dislike this song as it's not sung badly but this just doesn't sound right.




It's A Small World - Various Artists







This brings together the artists that participated in the album to cover this song and I've made my feelings known that I detest the original version of this song. So really, anything is an improvement that horrid song and this is a much better version of that song. I'll take this over that awful original version anyday of the week as it isn't as cutesy. Instead, this cover lets the artists sing the song in a way that feels natural and actually lets the song stand up on it's own and show how good of a song, this could've been.



It's Not Easy Being Green -  Brenna Whitaker






Our last song was included as a bonus track on the CD and well, let's see.  This is an alright cover. It's pretty good, I picture myself in a club listening to this version sipping a cup of coffee (well, if I drank coffee) and just relaxing and not having a care in the world as I let this song drift away all my worries.


So, there you have it my look at We Love Disney. Now, there was other song that was also included as a bonus track but we may come back to that one another day. All in all, I found these to be a mixed bag. The covers that were good, were really good. The ones that were bad, were really bad.  On the whole, I can't see buying the whole album,  I'd suggest only getting the covers that you like if you are interested as so far, the Ariana Grande Hero To Zero is the only cover that I've purchased from this album as besides maybe Can You Feel The Love Tonight by Jason Derulo, I think it's the only real standout.  It was fun to go through and look at these covers. Peace!






No comments:

Post a Comment