Take A Look at Disney

12/15/11

Classic Shorts Showcase: Three Little Wolves

Welcome back to Classic Shorts Showcase and today I continue Three Little Pigs Thursday as I review Three Little Wolves.  Man, oh man this short  was so much fun and maybe it is just me but this short feels as though that whereas our last short was a retelling of Little Red Hiding Hood,  this one felt as though it borrowed elements from another classic tale.


The Plot


Now this short in parts was influenced by The Boy Who Cried Wolf and I picked up on this during the early parts of the short when I saw that Practical had installed a Wolf Alarm and Fifer & Fiddler decided to use it to play pranks on their brother.   This was a nice a touch and now the other big part of this plot was the introduction of The Big Bad Wolf's sons, Three Little Wolves.   Sadly, I felt as though they were underused and that the title was only used to be a reference to the first short.


Characters


Today, I'll be breaking this down into Main, and Villains as that is all we have. Just like last time,  I won't be listing the voice actors as they are the same from the first short.  Just like last time, I will also be grouping Fifer & Fiddler together as  it appears in these shorts,  they were paired together and were basically the same character save for the first one. Go figure!  Anyways, let's begin.


Main Characters




Fifer & Fiddler












Fifer & Fiddler finally shined in this short.  It took three shorts to shine but they finally did it.  What did this? You may ask. Their actions finally got them in trouble as I stated in the plot details,  this short borrowed elements from The Boy Who Cried Wolf and here Fifer & Fiddler double the bill  for The Boy by blowing the horn that is the Wolf Alarm tricking Practical into thinking that the Wolf had come but when the Wolf does come for real and they blow the horn, Practical doesn't believe it and the Wolf almost wins.  He has Fifer & Fiddler ready to cook for dinner. This is the first time I actually felt not sympathy  but rather fear for these two characters because even though I knew there would be a happy ending,  I felt for the first time not only had their actions come back to bite them but there was a sense of dread and fear.  This was a nice touch to the short and actually made these two much more likable than they were in The Big Bad Wolf.   My only hope is that they don't revert in the next short.


Practical













Once again Practical had to save his brothers and at this point, I have to applaud him for not blowing up at his brothers (Yet!)   It was very creative with how he built his trap called the Wolf  Pacifier, which was this over the top contraption that did so many things and it's hard to explain because you have to see it but it was hysterical and a rather creative way of defeating the Wolf.  Again like the first two shorts,  Practical isn't heavily featured save for the beginning and end, granted he gets more screen time here than last time but this is rather disappointing because as I have stated in the past, I feel that he is the best character in these shorts.  Ah well, that may soon change however.



Villains




Three Little Wolves


















You recall last time, how I said Fifer & Fiddler brought the short down?  Sadly, the same can be said about the Three Little Wolves as they add no real value to this short than other just to be  henchmen to The Big Bad Wolf. They're okay but annoying and I don't know if Disney had done evil children before but I don't think it worked here.


The Big Bad Wolf











The Big Bad Wolf while not as strong in this short as he was last time but I think  that comes from he was bogged down by his children here.  Still, he was entertaining to watch and this is perhaps the closest he has gotten thus far in getting a bite of the pigs but once again, Practical took him down and that was great to watch seeing him dress up as Bo Peep was a nice nod to other classic nursery rhyme and it was great to see him doing something like that because it was just so funny.


My Final Thoughts


So far out of all three shorts I have reviewed thus far, this one has been my favorite.  There was a real sense of tension and threat and for the first time, I actually felt bad for Fifer  Fiddler.   Sadly, the only downside to this short were the titular characters in this short.   I'd say give this one a watch.  Join me next time when  I review


The Practical Pig


No comments:

Post a Comment