Take A Look at Disney

7/29/12

Mater Mondays: Rescue Squad Mater





Hello and welcome back.  Today,  I continue Mater Mondays as I take a look at the first of the Cars Toons: Mater's Tall Tales.  Rescue Squad Mater. Let's begin.



The Plot




This short introduces the basic idea of Mater's Tall Tales in that either McQueen asks Mater about something or Mater makes an observation about something and he goes onto say that I used etc etc.   In the first episode,  Mater sees Red and says that he was a firetruck once.   Then we see Rescue Squad Mater in action as he drives down the street to put out a fire at the old gasoline and match factory.  (Why does that make me think of that DareDevil PSA Linkara reviewed?)   We see that McQueen is trapped in the factory and Mater saves him and he's taken to the hospital where Mater is also the doctor.  This has one of my favorite moments where Dr. Mater reveals he has an MD,  PhD, STP and GTO.














I have to say that this was a rather funny moment and I did enjoy this short.  Though I'll admit if there is one thing that seems to run rampant through these shorts is McQueen getting hurt.  Most of the time it is funny but I find that I enjoy the shorts where he doesn't get hurt as it feels as though the short isn't relying on those gags  and rather trying to tell a story.



Characters




Rescue Squad Mater/Dr. Mater voiced by Larry The Cable Guy





As always I had a fun time watching Mater and I think he was more fun as a firetruck and in a way, it felt like an old action movie where Mater was the star and I just loved how everyone relied on Mater to save the day.  Now while I liked Mater more when he was the firetruck,  I'm still impressed by the look of Dr. Mater as that color really feels like a  hospital blue.



McQueen voiced by Keith Ferguson














As I said when talking about the plot in most of the episodes,  McQueen gets hurt in some fashion. I swear you could make a drinking game out of when he gets hurt.   In this short McQueen really didn't do much other than get hurt and while I bet a younger audience might find that funny.  It's not something I like too much.  Also seeing as McQueen is taken to a hospital, they do the swinging door gag.  Guys, this gag is played out.  I get it, hospital and swinging doors = laughs.   Yes if done right such as outing jokes on the doors.



My Final Thoughts




This was not a bad start but I don't find this one to be very memorable.  Don't get me wrong, it has it's moments but overall I think that this one is more or less forgettable.  I'd say it's still worth a watch if you like Cars though.  Join me next time as I take a look at...



No comments:

Post a Comment