Take A Look at Disney

11/8/12

Music Fridays # 70: Disney On Broadway







Tim: Hey guys, welcome to another Music Fridays. This one is supposed to be a cross over though, my partner for this one hasn't shown up yet. Excuse me a sec, there seems to be something going on.





Usher: Sorry, sir. You can't enter without a ticket. That's a rule, unless the show is on the house today. *a "Wicked" grin*





Tim: What do you mean I need a ticket? This isn't a theater, it's a blog. How does that even work? You can't build a theater on a blog.* Looks outward*







Tim: Well, okay I guess you can but this is still my blog, so I shouldn't need a ticket. Right?!







Usher: No, unless you have planned a schedule of visit. Look, did the managers from The Phantom of the Opera enter to any show without a ticket anytime they want? Wait, I think they actually did. Could you give me a second for another example?







Tim: Make it quick. Geese, (talking to myself) How does  one even build a theater on a blog? (to Usher), Hey, haven't I seen you around before. You look familiar, do you go to Manic Expression by chance? Ah-ha, Jason what are you doing working as an usher?



Jason:  Oh, no. The clerk said this disguise will fool anyone! I thought this would make an epic entrance with me opening the door to another world. But seriously, we need your ticket with cute Mickey Mouse riding on Dumbo to get in.



Tim: (hands ticket) All right here ya go, now let's get started.  Now we will be taking a look at stage versions of different Disney songs.  Now that I finally got in the theater.  Seriously,  how did that even happen? Anyways, moving on our  first song comes from the very  stage show based on a Disney film,  from Beauty and The Beast, it's...


Belle






Tim:   So far, not too much of a big difference here.   Okay, the village people do sound a bit different and Belle does sound a bit older and  you can notice the emoting and belting out of the actors more but it's not a bad thing and really, this is a perfect  show to do on Broadway and while I think I still like the film version more, this has it's charm to it.  Okay, wow Lefou is way more annoying and I know I've brought this up before but one of the many actors to portray Gaston is none other than Donny Osmond. Yes of Donny & Marie fame. Man, talk about casting against type. Now this isn't that version but still. 


Jason:  The Belle is Susan Egan, who played Meg in Hercules. Although her voice sounds somewhat wise, which doesn't quite match Belle in the beginning of the story, I find her voice very unique. The only thing that bothered me was every single supporting characters having exaggerated acting, yet I think it also shows Belle's thoughts of "Poor provincial town" with their stout voices. I agree with Tim that I prefer the film version more, and this version also has its own great characteristics.



Tim: All right, the next song comes from a play I have said many times before I feel is better than the film.   Up next from The Lion King is.


Can You Feel The Love Tonight






Tim:  This is bar none in my opinion the essential version of this song. To me, it trumps not only the film but also Elton John's version of this song.   I like those versions but I love love, love this one.   I can't explain it but to me, the passion and love between Simba and Nala seems stronger and more poignant here.  This is in my opinion, the most beautiful version of this song out there.    To me, this one screams romance and love.  



Jason:      Even before I knew about Lion King, I used to listen Elton John's version a lot, and was very fond of it. Thus it was a strange experience to hear this song in a different style when I finally saw the movie, and I found it very awkward, for it had a bland and vague atmosphere, and it was hard to see what the song was trying to give us. I couldn't agree more with Tim that the Broadway version is the most beautiful, and it definitely surpasses any other version with so much more strong emotions and passion in it. This version sends shivers down my spine with true epicness, and yes. I can feel their love tonight. :)



Tim:   Our next song takes us Under The Sea as we listen to Part of Your World from The Little Mermaid


Part of Your World 






Tim:   I don't know, it's not bad but I can't help but to think of Jodi Benson when hearing this song. Now I'm not saying this is bad but something is lacking here.  It's odd but for a Broadway performance, I don't find this one powerful. Now yes this is a performance from Good Morning America but I've seen great performances from musicals on TV shows before but I think this Ariel is trying too hard.  It's not bad but I just can't put a finger on it but I feel like something is missing.



Jason:  The singer is my favourite musical actress, Sierra Bogges. Although I have the young, pristine and clear voice of Jodi Benson embedded in my mind, Sierra's voice is very powerful, filled with passion, and leaves a great impression after the song. I also feel something is missing too, and I think it is because there is little explorations into Ariel's mind or taste without the proper staging, which can have impact on the performance. The only problem I have with this version might be that, as you said, too much strength, and maybe a touch of determination in the song that is about longing and wishing for something far away. Nevetheless, I find her voice and acting so beautiful, and I am so happy that she originated the role of Ariel in Litter Mermaid on Broadway. :)





Tim:  All right, up next from Tarzan is Strangers Like Me



Strangers Like Me



Tim:  Well, I will say that I do find that the spirit of this song is kept intact but that comes from the fact that Phil Collins helped pen the lyrics for the stage production. Now I can't tell but I think new lyrics were written for this version.  I do like this one but I must admit it's jarring to hear the characters sing as that is not how it  was done in the movie  but I think that this one is the least jarring in that regard because I always viewed this song as being sung in Tarzan's mind. Still I like it.





Jason:  Disney truly has many unexpected stage adaptations of their films! I don't know about how the Broadway settings were, but it would be indeed very odd to see Tarzan singing aloud in English with a clear accent. I also thought the song in the film was sung in Tarzan's mind. Nevertheless it is still interesting that Tarzan sings the song, and more involved in expressing himself, although the singer in this version sounds maybe too gentle. I like this version very much, as much as I love Phil Collins's version



Tim:  All right up next from Mary Poppins, Feed The Birds


Feed The Birds





Tim: Okay so this is technically from the London cast but no matter, still works for this article.   Secondly , man how do you even try to attempt this song.  As I've said many a time before I consider this the best song penned by The Sherman Brothers and I'll make it known right now that in my opinion, no one will ever top Julie Andrews but this version is a nice take on it and  I feel it gives the Bird Woman a little more to do by just giving her some lyrics.  Now I should also mention that this song does not take place in Jane and Micheal's bedroom in the play and has been moved to after the children visit the bank.   It works in context of the play and I think that this song is a wonderful homage to the classics of this film.


Jason:  I was familiar with the Mary Poppins books before I saw the film, and you will be surprised how grumpy and despicable Mary is in the book! I wasn't fond of the movie at first, but when I watched it again, this was the song that touched me most along with Chim Chim Cheree. Julie Andrew's sweet, placid voice and expression made me shed tears. I also think it was a really nice touch in Broadway version to give the bird lady some of the lyrics of the song, for I thought the lyrics would also suit great for her; however, I think this version loses the depth and sweetness from the film. Although I find the Mary's voice in this version beautiful, I think it is still Julie Andrews who truly made the song shine.


Tim:  All right, we've come to our last song from the winner of two Tony's, Carrying The Banner from Newsies.


Carrying  The Banner







Tim:  Now Jason,  I don't believe you've see this film right?   Anyways just as with Santa Fe,  there are some minor lyric changes.  It's minor but that does bug me a little bit but I still find it okay but I'm sorry after the watching film,  I can't get use to these voices and in the film, they were teens and I get that here too but they almost sound too old.  I've never had my opinion so split on a musical before. I really want to see this one but it just seems odd.  No, that's not the right word and why is it this is the musical that is giving me these feelings? My guess is that I had it built up in my head so much that perhaps I had expectations that it could not live up to.   I don't think it's because of the film,  I mean I just saw the film for the first time this year and the main reason, I saw it was because I want to see the musical.  I don't know,  I'm just rambling now. Anyways good song but I still have mixed feelings on the music in Newsies (Broadway) as of right now.


Jason:  I will definitely go with your opinion about this song. I still haven't seen the movie, yet I listened to the Broadway album first before I heard the film version, and I too find the Broadway voices very strange. They are quite exaggerated, but that is not the problem, and I even think that the voices are ruining the song. If younger and clearer, natural voices chimed in, it would have been greater. I certainly prefer the film version, for it is more exciting, and has honest singing and better harmony. I am so far not very fond of how the songs are sung in the Broadway version, but who knows? Maybe I will be blown away by their performances when I actually see the performance. By the way, is it me or the melody of this song is reminiscent of "Commencing In Chattanooga" Scotsboro Boys?




Tim: Well, Jason thanks for joining me but what are going to do about this theater? I can't keep it here.


Jason: That's easy, my friend. Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo! *Theatre disappears*

See? It's gone with the cyclone! *Crash followed by a scream* Uh, I think the theatre landed on The Wicked Witch of the East...


Tim: Thanks, again. Hmm, I guess The Wicked Witch couldn't defy gravity this time.


Jason: It's a pity no one mourns the wicked. Anyway, it was really a lot of fun talking about Disney on Broadway, and this is definitely the collab I enjoyed most. As a great fan of both musicals and Disney, I truly hope I could see any one of these brilliant musicals in the near future.

1 comment:

  1. Normally I do not learn article on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very pressured me to try and do it!

    Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you, very nice
    post.
    Here is my blog : diamond titanium rings

    ReplyDelete