Take A Look at Disney

12/11/13

Christmas Shorts Showcase Showdown: Tinker Toys Vs. Pluto's Christmas Tree






Hello & welcome to the first ever Christmas Shorts Showcase Showdown.   This concept is a mix of Classic Shorts Showcase and Vs.  In which, I take two shorts that are quite similar to one another and see, which one is better.  Now for this our Showdown, here are the categories.  Plot (round 1), which short had the better plot and which executed it better. Foil (Round 2), seeing as these Chip 'n' Dale shorts,  y'know that there was a foil to their antics that they had to go up against.  Favorite Moment (Round 3),  in this round, we will be examining my favorite moment from each short and going over why they work so well. Rewatchability (Round 4),  which short am I more likely to watch again. Christmas Spirit/Joy (The Final Round), which short puts me in the mood for Christmas.  And then The End Result!, where a winner is declared. 


Plot (Round 1)


Toy Tinkers



Both of these shorts have very similar plots.  In this one.  Donald is out cutting down his Christmas tree and he just so  happens that he awakens Chip 'n' Dale from their slumber and as they enter Donald's house, we get a madcap short of them trying to steal Donald's stuff as Donald fights with the chipmunks and it gets really funny. And there are a lot of great moments but I think that perhaps the biggest issue is that part of this short as good as it is feels as though, it could've been set during anytime of the year and you'd get the same type of story.  Now don't  misunderstand me,  I'm not saying this is a bad short and they do use the toys to their advantage in telling the story but there was really only one moment, where I thought they clearly used the Christmas setting well.


Pluto's Christmas Tree




Now as I said up above,  these shorts are similar in their set up to one another in that Chip 'n' Dale go up against a foe but  I think that the key difference here is that with this short, it played up the fact that this short was set during Christmas and actually used that to it's advantage with jokes such as the Santa candle or the fact that Chip 'n' Dale were in the tree were in the ornament while Mickey and Pluto were decorating the Christmas tree.  Seeing as this short makes better use of the Christmas setting and works it better into the short, I have to give this round to....


Pluto's Christmas Tree

  




Foil (Round 2)


Donald Duck (Toy Tinkers)




Donald is always great with Chip 'n' Dale because he knows how to fight back such as right here, when he tricked the chipmunks into thinking that he was Santa and used it to cause a rift between the two friends as he gave one a nut that was bigger then the other. Sure, Chip 'n' Dale  ultimately came out on top but it was so much fun to watch Donald to go up against them.


Pluto (Pluto's Christmas Tree)




I honestly felt bad for Pluto throughout this short as Chip 'n' Dale mercilessly mocked Pluto for no good reason, treating Pluto like he was dumb.  And from my P.O.V.,  Pluto was just doing his duty as a loyal pet trying to get rid of the rodents in the house.  So because of it filling so one-sided in this short, I have to give this round to...


Toy Tinkers 






Favorite Moment  (Round 3)


Donald As Santa (Toy Tinkers) 





I already went over this moment up top but again it works so well because this is something that Donald would do and sure, we've seen dozens upon dozens of characters pull this trick but it's just so funny here and Donald was smart by creating a rift between the two chipmunks as it gave him a temporary win over Chip 'n' Dale.


The Candle Scene (Pluto's Christmas Tree)
















Now, it's hard for me to explain why this is my favorite moment but watching Mickey light the candles and seeing Dale just stand there with a look of  "OH CRUD!"  on his face is pretty funny. And it does play into the main story with him trying to hide from Pluto but I do think that Donald's scene in Toy Tinkers is better but only by a tiny margin.  For that reason this round goes to...


Toy Tinkers













 Rewatchability (Round 4)


Toy Tinkers

Okay yeah, I gotta be honest. This round is tough because of these shorts are Christmas staples. They are classics.  I love them both dearly. And this short is good but I find this good to be more of an appetizer I can digest once.  I mean I watch these shorts every year.


Pluto's Christmas Tree


I love this short.  This is one of my all time favorite Christmas shorts.  I can't count how many times I've watched it over the years during this month and that has to say something. So, I guess because of that this round goes to...


Pluto's Christmas Tree












Christmas Spirit/Joy (The Final Round)


We're all tied up with Toy Tinkers taking the win for Foil and Favorite Moment while Pluto's Christmas Tree won Plot and  Rewatchability .   This is it, the final round that'll decide the winner.


Toy Tinkers










Now as I said in Round 1, this is a good short but I don't feel that it uses it's Christmas setting well to it's advantage. It's funny with the war gags but those jokes really don't get me in the Christmas spirit.


Pluto's Christmas Tree

















Pluto's Christmas Tree on the other hand does put me in the Christmas mood because it plays with the Christmas setting more and it just feels like Christmas all throughout this short. Especially at the end with carolers. With Mickey, Chip 'n' Dale, and Pluto for one brief moment coming together as the pup and chipmunks put aside their differences as they join in to sing along. Well that is until Pluto starts singing.














But even with that, this short still leaves me with a warm and fuzzy Christmas feeling that I do not get from Toy Tinkers.  Again, it's not a bad short but this round has to go to...


Pluto's Christmas Tree














The End Result!

By a score of 3 -2,  Pluto's Christmas Tree has come out the victor.  Again, these are both good shorts.   I just think Pluto's Christmas Tree is the better short out of the two. Agree/disagree.  Let me know in the comments.  Well, join me tomorrow for the final Christmas article from me as I give you a special super-sized Music Fridays as I take a look at all 20 songs on....


Disney's Family Christmas Collection


No comments:

Post a Comment