Take A Look at Disney

12/22/10

My Personal Favorite Disney Christmas Specials

  Now, I know the schedule said I was going to blog about Mickey's Christmas Carol.  Well...  I decided to expand to include my favorite Disney Christmas Specials.


As I sit here wearing my  Santa Mouse Ears, I cant' help but think of the first special.

"Disney's Christmas Fantasy on Ice"

Before I start, writing I would like to thank fellow users Rail and  salguod for helping me remember the name of this special.   I had only seen this special once but it held a special place in my heart.  The story is simple an uncle and niece are at Disneyland for Christmas and the little girl makes the statement of how she wishes it would snow at Disneyland and her uncle tells her the story of how a little girl had the same wish and told Mickey Mouse.  So Mickey  Mouse, Minnie and many other Disney characters went to Jack Frost who informed the characters that in order for it to snow in Disneyland, they needed the wish of a little girl and a magic snowflake. The snowflake was shattered into six pieces and the characters had to find them.  The snowflakes were protected by guardians who were actually figure skaters.  This story Incorporated three great things,  Disneyland, beautiful storytelling and wonderful choreography with the skaters.



Here is a picture of Belle and Beast coming upon the Guardians (skaters) that guarding the piece of the snowflake that they need.



The next one is a little obvious but I love "Mickey's Christmas Carol".  "Mickey's Christmas Carol" introduced me to this Christmas classic by Charles Dickens. While it is one of the shorter versions to be done, it still gets the point across and while it does vary from the original source it is actually quite good.  The casting of the characters was brilliant with Scrooge McDuck playing Ebneezer and Mickey as Bob Crachit.  I also like it for the fact that it uses Mickey's rarely seen nephews.  Not many people know this but "Mickey's Christmas Carol is actually based on an old record titled "Disney's Christmas Carol".  For the most part, the record and special are one in the same except for the portrayal of the Ghost of Christmas Past. In the Special,  Jiminy Cricket plays the Ghost of Christmas Past while on the record the Ghost is portrayed by the Blue Fairy.  That is only complaint because in this version all the Ghosts are male and it would have been nice to have a female ghost.




Finally, there is the "Walt Disney World Christmas Day Parade".  This parade is appointment viewing for me every Christmas.  I could care less which celebrities stop by. I watch it for the characters and the floats.  I honestly get more excited seeing Santa Goofy than Santa Claus because that is just too funny.  I also love Santa Stitch.  The host, for the Disney Word portion are great but I would expect nothing less from Regis and Kelly. In recent years they have started to include Disneyland but they need to find a new host because Ryan Seacrest just doesn't mesh well (in my opinion).  I know it is really just a big commercial for all things Disney at the parks, movies and cruise ship but I love that because it is awesome to see what Disney is working on.


                                                Merry Christmas  


No comments:

Post a Comment