Take A Look at Disney

9/20/11

Classic Shorts Showcase: The Golden Touch

I know this Classic Shorts Showcase is going up earlier than usual but as I said, I'm going to be out of town this weekend but I still wanted to get this one up.   Today, we take a look at a Silly Symphony.   A little history though on this short,  this short was an attempt by Walt Disney to try and direct a cartoon. Which he had not done in five years time since this short. Walt was displeased with the end result and never wished to talk about it again. It's hard to say why but I think Walt may have thought he could have done better but in the end, I still think that this is a decent short.



The Plot


I'm skipping past narration this time as there was no narrator in this short and I don't think that would have worked anyways. Moving on,  this short is a retelling of the myth of Midas and The Golden Touch, how everything he touches turn to gold. But it instead takes place in a castle during I'd say medieval times, and here we meet a pompous overweight greedy king who loves gold and thinks that it only enhances his life. Well, while counting his gold, he is approached by an elf that tries to give him advice that gold is not everything but the King sees that he has the Golden Touch and King Midas wants it. At first, our elf, Goldy refuses but decides to give him the Golden Touch as to teach the King a lesson.


Characters


King Midas voiced by Billy Bletcher












As stated King Midas is greedy, arrogant and pompous.  He thinks that he all he needs in his life is gold.  Gold is the only thing that makes him happy and when he is approached by Goldy, he wants The Golden Touch because    he   thinks that have the power to gold will make him an all powerful being.   Well, he gets his wish and he soon learns that it was more than he bargained for.  At first, he had some fun with it that was until he went to eat but all of the food he touched turned to gold. Here he soon realized with this power that touching food turns it to gold and he finds out that he would starve to death especially after seeing this reflection in his mirror.













That's a pretty eerie and grim look into the future.   I thought Midas was an all right character and I was happy to see he learned his lesson in the end, even if he lost everything but that was part of the deal that he made with Goldy.  He came off as he needed nothing else and that shined through and through in this short.  Though admittedly, I do think that he could have used some more development but at the same time, the short wouldn't have been as funny.


Goldy  - Voice Unlisted













Goldy was the elf that gave Midas the Golden Touch.  Goldy tried to warn Midas that the Golden Touch could ruin his life but as I pointed out,  Midas paid no attention to his warnings.   Goldy was an all right character even if he was barely in the short save for the beginning and end but at the same time, that is when he was needed the most.   I don't know what it was but I didn't care for his voice because it sounded almost too childlike for my liking.  Now I'm not saying that he should like an old man but there should have been a balance between  sound magical and sounding childlike.  He was a fun character when he was in the short and I like his inclusion.




My Final Thoughts




In the end, it was a fun short even  if it did feel  a little weak in some areas. and at some points it did drag but overall it was a decent enough short.  I personally enjoyed this one and the characters were fun but at the same time, I think I would have liked to seen Midas interact with other characters. Then again this is 10 minute short so there is only so much so that they could fit into this but at the end of the day, it's a fun short to watch.  Again, I can't say why Mr. Disney didn't like this short but I enjoyed his efforts here.   Join me next time when I take a look at...


The Wise Little Hen













Also one last quick note,  I have decided  to move Survivor Recap to Mondays, now.  Don't, worry the rest of the week will still be A Look at Disney but I originally was going to post them on Sundays but I kind of want to take that day off from blogging.  I'm not even sure how long this new series is going to last. Though I do know that I intend to cover this entire season. Peace.

Also take time to check out my other site, where I'll be posting my Survivor Recaps.


http://textbowl.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment