Take A Look at Disney

2/13/12

Rapunzel Vs. Cinderella




Hello and welcome back to Vs.    Today on Vs.,  I'm taking a look at a suggestion that was thrown to me by Positive Troll, when I said I was looking for good match up for Rapunzel.   Now this match up will be similar to that of my Tiana Vs. Belle.   The categories include Personality, Desire,  Song, Defining Moment, and The Film Factor.  For any of those that need a reminder Film Factor is where I take a look at which character works better in her respective film. Oh and even though I won't be taking a look at fighting, Rapunzel would win there just for the sheer fact that using a frying pan was really funny.


Personality (Round 1)


Rapunzel 

I've always said this about Rapunzel in that she started out as a young and timid flower but blossomed throughout the film.  I loved watching her personality develop throughout the film.   It was refreshing seeing her develop and become more of a character.    She came into her own throughout the film.


Cinderella


Well, Cinderella's personality shows that she is strong-willed and hardly lets anything or anyone get her down but I don't know, I kinda feel as though she has the least interesting personality out of all the female Disney characters.  She's not a bad character but she doesn't stick out.  For that reason, this round goes to Rapunzel.





Desire (Round 2)


Rapunzel

Rapunzel's biggest desire is to leave the tower and to go see the lights that she sees on her birthday each year as she believes it means something more than just being lights.  Rapunzel's desire is beautiful and I can really understand why she'd want to leave the tower after being locked up there for so long. She wants freedom and she's a teen.   Doesn't she deserve that? I think so.


Cinderella


Cinderella's desires while on the surface may appear to be going to the ball but in reality, she wants to escape from the clutches of her step mother and her wicked step sisters. She had been stuck with them ever since her father had died.  Lady Termaine has mistreated Cinderella for so long and Cinderella doesn't want to put up with it any longer but Cinderella is a rather passive person and doesn't know how to confront this but even still, I find her desires to be a bit more tragic and that's why I have to give this round to...


Cinderella






















Song  (Round 3)






When Will My Life Begin (Rapunzel)







I freakin'  love this song.   Now I know that most people have said that this is the weakest song in Tangled but I'd disagree. This song fits the personality of Rapunzel so well. Because another thing that I forgot to mention when talking about her personality is that she is just so bubbly and that comes through in this song so well.  Yeah, this song does fall into the category of  "I Want". Now this isn't something that I would normally do but to understand this song and how it shows Rapunzel's personality as being the shy and timid flower,   I need to examine both of the reprises.

Reprise 1





With the first reprise just listen to how Rapunzel says the word "door", you can hear in her voice that she wants to start this adventure but at the same time, she is scared but she wants a life.


Reprise 2





With the second reprise,  I just love how big everything feels and it really seems as though this reprise encompasses Rapunzel's desires to have a life and I just want to tell her, "Go after it".


A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes (Cinderella)



I do like Cinderella's singing voice and that actually makes this round a bit harder. This song has that wonderful lullaby feel to it that some older Disney songs do and it works so well.  I can't write this song off. It's classic and just as with When Will My Life Begin, it fits the personality of Cinderella rather well. I always have the hardest time when it comes to the songs.  Now When Will My Life Begin has a big sound to it and it works well whereas this song is simple and I'd label as being beautifully simple but with that said, it comes down to personal preference and as much as I like this song, I like When Will My Life Begin more. For that reason this round goes to Rapunzel.

























Defining Moments  (Round 4)




Rapunzel

For Rapunzel, her defining moment would have to be when he she finally stands up to Mother Gothel and this line solidifies

 I am the lost princess, aren't I?... Did I mumble, Mother? Or should I even call you that? 

I think this is really her defining moment because she has come full circle and learned the truth  of her past and she finally blossoms into a young lady that is no longer scared of the world around her. Finally being  able to stand up to Mother Gothel takes a lot of courage and Rapunzel doing that shows she has grown and into a mature young lady and is no longer a scared girl.


Cinderella


Cinderella's defining moment is harder to define  but if I had to pick one for her, I think that it'd be  her going to the ball.  In this moment, Cinderella finally get a sense of freedom that she has wanted and does not feel as though she is under control  of Lady Termaine and her sisters. Getting to see Cinderella free from all of the trouble that life has thrown at her is refreshing but I can relate  to Rapunzel's defining moment here and therefore this round goes to her.























The Film Factor (The Final Round)




Now I know to some it may seem pointless to even go into this round as Rapunzel has taken the lead with a 3 - 1 score but all the same, let's get it on.


Rapunzel


Rapunzel works really well in her film, though at the time,  the other characters such as Maximus can overshadow her but she does work well off of the other characters and this is more an ensemble piece but as much I love her personality, she is just one of many standout characters from her film.


Cinderella


Cinderella is THE star of her film and there is no denying that, she is not overshadowed any other character whatsoever.  Cinderella commands your attention and when she is on screen, you pay attention to her presence.   Really, the only characters that come close  overshadowing her are Gus Gus and Jaq but Cinderella is the character your most interested in watching. For this reason, this round goes to...


Cinderella



















The End Result


In the end, Rapunzel is the winner with a 3 -2 outcome.  In a first on Vs., though the winner didn't win The Film Factor, I'll concede that Cinderella  does work better in her but as I feel that Rapunzel is the all around better character.  I made my argument here and I already know that people may disagree with this outcome.   While Rapunzel may not have had the better  Film Factor,  she had the better personality, better song, and better defining moment.   At the end of the day, this is just for fun and I hope you enjoyed this.

3 comments:

  1. I have read so many content about the blogger lovers except this piece of writing is really a pleasant piece of writing, keep it up.
    My webpage :: coach parental

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was definitely an interesting Vs.!
    Can I suggest that you do Rapunzel vs. Quasimodo? Those two characters have so much in common!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or thanks, glad you liked it, while that's a good suggestion, I don't know if I'll do that as I haven't decided on whether or not, I'll have returning characters appear.

      Delete